Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
There are four cash reload options listed on the Emerald site. The question is whether any of their outlets will accept either credit cards directly or debit cards purchased through a portal with a credit card.

Rapid Reload at WalMart
1. Take your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard® and cash, payroll or government benefits check to any register at a participating Walmart (Rapid Reload not available in VT and WY).
2. If you have a check, the cashier will cash your check (Check cashing not available in NJ, NY, RI. Check cashing fees apply).
3. Swipe your Emerald Card and add all or part of your cash directly to it-load up to $1,000 as long as you don't exceed the card load limits. A service fee of $3.74 applies.

GreenDot Money Pak
1. Pick up a MoneyPak® from your participating neighborhood retailer.
2. Go to the register and add cash to the MoneyPak (up to $500 at most locations, up to $1,000 at Walmart). A service fee of up to $4.95 applies.

MoneyGram
1. Fill out the blue form or pick up the MoneyGram phone. Provide the following information:
Company Name: Emerald Card
Receive Code: 4941
Account Number: Your Emerald Card Number
2. Add the funds you want and the $3.95 fee.
3. Keep the reference number that confirms your transactions.

Western Union
1. Complete the gray Prepaid Services form and provide the agent with cash for your load amount and the $3.95 fee.
2. Save your receipt with your Money Transfer Control Number

To use your emerald for ach payments:
1. get your information from the direct deposits section of your emerald account
2. go to your bill (CC) and put that information in as your new payee
3. schedule your payment using that payee for the amount loaded to your emerald card. Posts next day and shows up as gone next day on emerald.

Please add your comments where necessary......

===
From the T&Cs (April 2015):
  • The maximum amount of cash value you may load to your Card Account each day is $999.99.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per day is four (4).
  • The maximum amount of cash value that you may load to your Card Account each month is $9,500.00.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per month is ten (10).

• The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from an ATM per day is $3,000.00 per card.
  • The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from a participating bank per day is the available balance of your Card Account.
  • The maximum that can be spent per Card per day is $3,500.00.
Print Wikipost

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Help.. I had got a letter about them stopping debit load on my card. I had ignored it thinking its about some online debit loads. Today I tried loading 999 twice using VGC at WM and it declined on the first 500 vgc. If I look online for 30 days history I see 10 VGC loads of close to 500 each (2 being in last calendar month but in last 30 days) . Wondering if I am hitting against the 10 loads/mo limit OR they really blocked all debit card loads.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:41 pm

You hit the 10 loads per month limit
Old May 28, 2015, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Wondering if I am hitting against the 10 loads/mo limit OR they really blocked all debit card loads.
afaik, many got email announcement that debit card loads will no longer be available. I checked my account and clicked the DC tab and it gave the message that it was no longer available. They didn't just block GCs, they no longer allow loads via ANY type of DC, including those tied up to your bank checking account.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:18 pm

I saw the same note in my account. Actually I went to 3 different Walmart last week and tried to load VGC via kate, all systems showed transfer cannot not be processed

Originally Posted by Mamibear
afaik, many got email announcement that debit card loads will no longer be available. I checked my account and clicked the DC tab and it gave the message that it was no longer available. They didn't just block GCs, they no longer allow loads via ANY type of DC, including those tied up to your bank checking account.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by botanyh
I saw the same note in my account. Actually I went to 3 different Walmart last week and tried to load VGC via kate, all systems showed transfer cannot not be processed
I have not loaded VGCs to mine even with the lesser Rapid reload fee of 1.74. I'd probably close this card so it's one less to keep track of.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I have not loaded VGCs to mine even with the lesser Rapid reload fee of 1.74. I'd probably close this card so it's one less to keep track of.
^
Old May 31, 2015, 5:13 pm

Help.. I had got a letter about them stopping debit load on my card. I had ignored it thinking its about some online debit loads. Today I tried loading 999 twice using VGC at WM and it declined on the first 500 vgc. If I look online for 30 days history I see 10 VGC loads of close to 500 each (2 being in last calendar month but in last 30 days) . Wondering if I am hitting against the 10 loads/mo limit OR they really blocked all debit card loads.
On second thought, since you said it declined on the first VGC, that has nothing to do with the monthly limit. When you're over the monthly limit it will say approved when you swipe but then reject it at the final receipt stage.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:58 pm

Is the 10 loads limit per cal month? Can I BP to my landlord (spouse/same last name/add) without nukes? I see slow (1 week delivery) BP is 0.95 upto 2.5K so additional expense.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by mrmandel
On second thought, since you said it declined on the first VGC, that has nothing to do with the monthly limit. When you're over the monthly limit it will say approved when you swipe but then reject it at the final receipt stage.
Thx. Exactly what was happening.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:20 am

Anyone know if Emerald shutdowns come with permabans, or can you sign up again sometime in the future?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:58 am

Is the 10 loads limit per cal month? Can I BP to my landlord (spouse/same last name/add) without nukes? I see slow (1 week delivery) BP is 0.95 upto 2.5K so additional expense.
Just a data point-- I use my Em acct and billpay (by check) myself. $2500 a month regularly.

I also use my SOs Em acct and billpay me, too. ;-)

Same address. One one acct I have the payee name reversed with "LN, FN" vs. "FN LN". But that's about it.

I billpay the other $2500-ish from each account monthly to CC bills.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:04 pm

debit reload comes back?

Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI
Just a data point-- I use my Em acct and billpay (by check) myself. $2500 a month regularly.

I also use my SOs Em acct and billpay me, too. ;-)

Same address. One one acct I have the payee name reversed with "LN, FN" vs. "FN LN". But that's about it.

I billpay the other $2500-ish from each account monthly to CC bills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.