Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone making a living out of this?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
I think after 6500 in spend, it goes to 5% on everything.
Without Amex Blue and Citi TYP it would be a lot harder to make significant money at this, it seems.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by birdhands
Without Amex Blue and Citi TYP it would be a lot harder to make significant money at this, it seems.
Which Citi card are you using?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:41 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by commdiver
Which Citi card are you using?
The old 12 months of 5% GGP(D) that is not around anymore.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
The old 12 months of 5% GGP(D) that is not around anymore.
Is there any way to sign up for this (like with the old BC card)?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:40 pm

50k yr is possible with fulltime job. Its lot of hard work. Need min 40-50hr month for churn, phone calls, record keeping etc. Last yr I am closer to 60k. This yr I am all set to cross 75-100k.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:53 pm
xp0

It is a lot of work ... not sure I would call it hard
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:54 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by commdiver
Is there any way to sign up for this (like with the old BC card)?
No - Not that anyone is aware of. A while back a few people were able to get it by going into a branch however I dont think that is possible anymore.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Several dozen
At 16 lbs to the $1k of dollars it was backbreaking in the days of the mint. The feds killed that deal fearing we would all go out on disability. Heck, with all the paper cuts we get now from processing money orders weez all entitled.

Originally Posted by xp0
It is a lot of work ... not sure I would call it hard
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:20 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:52 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:55 pm
xp0

Sure would be nice to devote 40hrs+ a week to MS. The possibilities would be endless!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
I really do think it depends on the area.

I was just in Dallas on business. Amazed at how huge that area is, and most of all, ample opportunities.

One grocery chain I found there let me buy as much as I want with cards. They had a wall of $950 reloadit cards. I was only limited by avail on BC and not wanting to be blacklisted by Tmo.

You have a lot of easy choices that require 1 stop, such as all the "reload" type accounts. They are limited yes... but easy target.

Then you have the two or three stop options. Yes... more work, but practically unlimited.

Is it work? I am sure... but quite honestly, being as anal about analytics as me, I spend more time tracking MS than it actually takes to walk into a grocery or drug store to buy cards, then go to wally to buy MO's.

If I put in 8 hours a day doing this... in my area... and I was not limited to number of banking relationships, you can easily do $30k a day. For sake of argument, yes... your net % will be lower than 5% unless you got a massive LOC with Amex that you turn over every day... however if you spread between say 10 to 20 credit cards, with large limits... high numbers are doable.

The other option is reserving the cashback cards for grocery/drugs/gas, and using the miles/points cards with cashback portals.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by MsArbi
The >5% methods I'm aware of take many steps.
Does anyone know of any other grocery stores that let you buy discounted GCs in bulk? (meijer is one)
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed, Texas was MS Nirvana when I lived there. In fact the feds actually built the world's first monument to MS when they consecrated that Dallas warehouse to store all those millions of dollar coins Texans circulated.

One can only say good things about a state where The Zombie Buffalo roamed, on again off again offering credit card deposits for 30 day CDs or The Bank of the Biker went full throttle allowing credit card deposits for checking and savings accounts. And that is not to mention the other fine Texas institutions that were once good for many thousands in MS opening new accounts using cash back cards.

The Lone Star State is also the home state of Valero, a fine company whose gift cards racks often take up the MS cause and HEB, a grocer fondly remembered for HIGCing to the max and occasional 15% off sales on gift cards which were then regifted to CardPool.

There is a reason why people say "Texas is Wide Open for Business." Our kinda business!

Originally Posted by maksimfa
I really do think it depends on the area.

I was just in Dallas on business. Amazed at how huge that area is, and most of all, ample opportunities.

One grocery chain I found there let me buy as much as I want with cards. They had a wall of $950 reloadit cards. I was only limited by avail on BC and not wanting to be blacklisted by Tmo.

You have a lot of easy choices that require 1 stop, such as all the "reload" type accounts. They are limited yes... but easy target.

Then you have the two or three stop options. Yes... more work, but practically unlimited.

Is it work? I am sure... but quite honestly, being as anal about analytics as me, I spend more time tracking MS than it actually takes to walk into a grocery or drug store to buy cards, then go to wally to buy MO's.

If I put in 8 hours a day doing this... in my area... and I was not limited to number of banking relationships, you can easily do $30k a day. For sake of argument, yes... your net % will be lower than 5% unless you got a massive LOC with Amex that you turn over every day... however if you spread between say 10 to 20 credit cards, with large limits... high numbers are doable.

The other option is reserving the cashback cards for grocery/drugs/gas, and using the miles/points cards with cashback portals.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:21 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:52 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by birdhands
I have an old AMEX BC card. For some reason I always thought the limit was 5% UP TO $6500, then 1% thereafter. But it looks like I am wrong. Here's what it says:

With your Blue Cash Card from American Express, you can earn up to 5% cash back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations and select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases) and up to 1% cash back on other purchases.

For your first $6,500 in purchases in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% thereafter), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).
So if I read that correctly, after $6500 spend in a year, I'll get 5% CB on everything. How can that be? That seems way too good to be true. I guess I'm not a true MS'er yet to not have spotted this before on a card I've had for at least 4 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.