FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Anyone making a living out of this? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1560515-anyone-making-living-out.html)

fmakpartners Mar 14, 2014 5:19 pm

Anyone making a living out of this?

I mean like $50k / year in MS? You don't have to tell me how you do it, I'm just curious to know if it's possible. Thx

SeeksApproval Mar 14, 2014 5:43 pm

I just can't conceive of someone clearing that much money. Seems like the heaviest hitters are going after Mileage points for luxury trips around the world. To get that much straight cash seems unreal.

ingy Mar 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by fmakpartners (Post 22525895)
I mean like $50k / year in MS? You don't have to tell me how you do it, I'm just curious to know if it's possible. Thx

I believe there are a very limited few that can and do make this happen, but not so sure how long it can last.

uneeq Mar 14, 2014 6:05 pm

You mean make 50k? That's 1 mil of MSing at 5% CB, nuts.

nmp0 Mar 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 22526080)
You mean make 50k? That's 1 mil of MSing at 5% CB, nuts.

And that is with no fees.

commdiver Mar 14, 2014 6:11 pm

I think one could live off of working at a minimum wage job and heavy MS. MS alone would not be possible for the simple reason that the IRS would find some way to make MS taxable.

ashap Mar 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Anyone making a living out of this?

Not a full time living, but there have been more than a few weeks where I have made more cash in 15 minutes of daily MS than I have in a day at work. And I'm a relatively well paid attorney soooo.... Possible yes sustainable who knows.

zeppoloveskafka Mar 14, 2014 7:02 pm

There are people pulling in 50K a year. But having a job is important in that you need a certain income to play most games. I'm sure people making 50K now are not using the same tricks they were using a year or two ago, so it's not a "steady" income by any means.

uncommonsensical Mar 14, 2014 7:23 pm

i think it would be very doable if you had willing accomplices.

if you had your cards, SO, 2 parents and a couple of kids, the ms per person per month would be less than i do now. granted, in my eyes, i would be valuing points/miles along with cash back; as they could be monetized as well (selling award trips via CL or something like that).

i wouldn't want to do it, but it would be a a good income for a stay at home parent who enjoyed the game of it.

PaulMSN Mar 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by ashap (Post 22526243)
Not a full time living, but there have been more than a few weeks where I have made more cash in 15 minutes of daily MS than I have in a day at work. And I'm a relatively well paid attorney soooo.... Possible yes sustainable who knows.

I don't see how that's physically possible. 15 minutes isn't much time swipe a lot of cards, and you'd need a whole lot of purchases to make an average attorney's daily salary at 5%.

horseymen Mar 14, 2014 7:40 pm

I think if I was desperate and unemployed and had to - I could probably sustain a 50k salary on doing things like what is talked about on here for awhile - but I don't think it would be reliable (given that the high likelihood of getting shut down exists) or much longer than a year.

JerMah Mar 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22526374)
I don't see how that's physically possible. 15 minutes isn't much time swipe a lot of cards, and you'd need a whole lot of purchases to make an average attorney's daily salary at 5%.

Agreed. Seems pretty far fetched, unless he's probono! :D

nuclfusion Mar 14, 2014 7:47 pm

There was that one thread where a guy had a corporation set up for MSing. Think it was all just a ruse but still fun to read.

BarnyardRomeo Mar 14, 2014 8:16 pm

its quite easy if you are willing to put in the hard work, 50k is peanuts if you know the tips and tricks

MsArbi Mar 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Deleted.