Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. Example: This thread... I know, the first few posts are confusing.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is "legal."

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

a helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS:
I will speak to only the impacts and actions that have been taken (or threatened) to me personally over the years

1. Account closure - always got my money back. Moderate frequency. Little to no long-term impact UNLESS my wife was the first one to find out when her card was declined in public setting

2. Blacklisted by an FI - lower frequency. Short- to medium term impact. Eventually the FI's greed heals all wounds.

3. Blacklisted by a governmental agency -- lower frequency. Variable long-term impact as governmental agencies never actually forget, they just don't take action (see below)

4. Banned from a retail establishment -- threatened, but never actually banned. Mostly just pointed discussion from a misguided manager. Low-medium frequency.

5. Banned from an online establishment -- lower frequency, generally lower impact. Generally permanent, at least for me so far.

6. Cashback forfeited or clawed back -- generally happened to me as part of a credit card shut down. so far only forfeits and not clawbacks, but they are possible

And then there are the things law enforcement can and has done
1. Executed a warrant to subpoena my banking and other financial records without my knowledge
2. Contacted my FIs to inquire as the nature of my financial relationship
3. Frozen the portion of my assets that were currently involved in the activity they were investigating
4. Visited my home -- when I was not there -- to "interview" my spouse, etc. regarding their knowledge and involvement ... and to attempt to obtain additional documentation not already obtained by the subpoenas
5. Threatened to seize my assets. Not just the ones frozen. Not just those I currently possessed. But all assets they deemed as ever having been part of the criminal activity. (Think every GC, MO, etc. you have purchased over the past 3-5 years)
6. Threatened one or more felony charges. (Consider having to explain THAT to your wife or boss.)

And that all was for something that was completely legal, once the 'splaining was done.

Of course once LEO opens a criminal investigation, it never actually closes unless they take you to court and fail. So even though I was cleared of the charges, the original case file is out there ready to be dusted off.

In the end, my biggest concern is the extent to which something will permanently impact my marriage or ability to enter into financial contracts (felony charges would be one example). Fortunately once the initial shock of LEO's investigation wore away, both my marriage and financial relationships were intact. Very thankful both she and a few key FI's stood by me.

When you MS, you are running with scissors.
Take what you read with a grain of salt. No law enforcement agency cares if you are loading 5k to a bluebird per month unless you are loading your money from illegal activities like crack sales. Even at that point they only care about your crack sales, not your bluebird load.

Nobody is going to ask you "why are you loading your bluebird" or "where did you get the money you want to load on your bluebird" when you go to walmart.
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Mamibear
regarding your new Ink CC, make sure to check the revised terms and conditions of Chase. This has been discussed in blogs, check them out for details.

some salient points mentioned in Chase's new terms and conditions:

Chase has made it very clear that you could lose your points or be shut down for:

Signing-up for cards just to earn the bonus, then cancelling
Using cards solely to buy gift cards or other methods of “manufactured spending”
Repeatedly signing-up for cards just to earn the bonus or points.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
best to know what you're getting into so you'll not be surprised if they forfeit your earned rewards if they suspect you're abusing the card.

If you're going to use it for legit biz spend, you have no need to worry about all the changes.
What does: "Signing-up for cards just to earn the bonus, then cancelling" mean specifically? Does it mean if you signup for the CSP or Ink card and get the first year free then cancel when the AF is due they will take action against you? I can understand something like the citi AA exec card where people signed up and then cancelled before the AF, but I don't plan on keeping the CSP beyond the first year (I have an ink and see no reason to pay two AFs). Would doing a PC to a CS be sufficient to keep Chase off my back on future apps?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Red259
What does: "Signing-up for cards just to earn the bonus, then cancelling" mean specifically? Does it mean if you signup for the CSP or Ink card and get the first year free then cancel when the AF is due they will take action against you? I can understand something like the citi AA exec card where people signed up and then cancelled before the AF, but I don't plan on keeping the CSP beyond the first year (I have an ink and see no reason to pay two AFs). Would doing a PC to a CS be sufficient to keep Chase off my back on future apps?
since the revisions are just recent, I don't think anyone can predict how Chase will execute it or if they will, at all. There's been bits of terms and conditions I'd rather not mention that has been there for years but never enforced. Just keep an eye on reports of shutdowns and clawing back of rewards, if any. With all the revisions, you can do what you want and see what Chase does.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Red259
How is Chase going to shut you down if you have already closed the account, and thus, shut yourself down? If you haven't made use of the sign up bonus or any other points by the time you shut down/close an account you aren't playing the game the right way anyway.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:59 pm

Newbie here... with Amazon Payments shutting down, is Serve the only MS method left that can be done completely online (except initial set up)? Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by medium_alpaca
Newbie here... with Amazon Payments shutting down, is Serve the only MS method left that can be done completely online (except initial set up)? Thanks.
check those available in your state by going through search engines. research takes time, but it's worth it once you find them and your registration is successful.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by medium_alpaca
Not that I'm saying you are, but successful MS'ing is difficult for agoraphobes. Social engineering is key. The real money is on the streets. Having "friends" (people who you may or may not like but give deference to) will ease your game and exponentially raise your profits.

Spent years fostering my relationships (including going to the bar with a certain grocery chain's head of security) and there are few things more rewarding then having a cashier decline your large GC purchase and calling said person over to put her in her place.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:42 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by sybloc
Not that I'm saying you are, but successful MS'ing is difficult for agoraphobes. Social engineering is key. The real money is on the streets. Having "friends" (people who you may or may not like but give deference to) will ease your game and exponentially raise your profits.

Spent years fostering my relationships (including going to the bar with a certain grocery chain's head of security) and there are few things more rewarding then having a cashier decline your large GC purchase and calling said person over to put her in her place.
......the internet is just so awesome
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scootr29
......the internet is just so awesome
LOL, yes it is
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:57 am

Fee Free Prepaid/Gift Cards from Supermarket/Drugstores

I was in the market looking for Fee free prepaid cards/Gift Cards from supermarket/drugstores that can be used as credit without registering them for MS purposes

Any ideas/suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sybloc
there are few things more rewarding then having a cashier decline your large GC purchase and calling said person over to put her in her place.
Given the cashier may just be doing his or her job, I think something more rewarding would be to choose kindness over spite.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:01 pm

Just got my Amex Platinum with a 90 days, spend 10K to get 100K points offer. I'm unlikely to hit this spending by myself, and I estimate that I'll probably need about ~4K to actually make this offer. Anyone have advice on the best method to go about this? I have plenty of time and I'm willing to take a ~1-1.5% penalty.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by nappington
Just got my Amex Platinum with a 90 days, spend 10K to get 100K points offer. I'm unlikely to hit this spending by myself, and I estimate that I'll probably need about ~4K to actually make this offer. Anyone have advice on the best method to go about this? I have plenty of time and I'm willing to take a ~1-1.5% penalty.
I recommend buying an Amex GC. Here is a thread that talks about buying Amex GC: Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Yes, you are buying Amex with Amex. But people say it does work. ^

You can then spend that Amex GC anyway you'd like with no time limit...
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by nappington
AFT.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vinhboy
I recommend buying an Amex GC. Here is a thread that talks about buying Amex GC: Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Yes, you are buying Amex with Amex. But people say it does work. ^

You can then spend that Amex GC anyway you'd like with no time limit...
I didn't just buy Amex CC with my AMEX cards I did a mix of buying. I even bought Lowes GC from Amazon and then went to the lowes stores and bought Amex GC.. It's a round about way but it showed Amex I wasn't MSing..
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm

So after maximizing Serve for the entire month, what would be the next best prepaid debit card that's reloadable? Is it the HR Block Emerald card? Is there another way to get a Serve card if you're a single guy with no wife or kids?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.