Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping track of manufactured spend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by birdhands
How about this? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/te...passwords.html

Edit: Ah, I see at least one of you uses iPassword. Anyone else use it? Looks great.
Yup, 1Pass is pretty great.

Personally I love my excel spreadsheets, everything from transaction data, to MS, to CC info [sign up dates, bonuses, AF, etc etc] are all housed in one place, with summary sheets for weekly/monthly/year and current 'in motion' numbers. Multiple arrays, nested sumifs and all the fun parts included
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:40 pm

I only use cashback cards, so I have no need to keep track of any minimum spend requirements. I find it easiest to use a Sharpie to write the date and cashout method on each VR, PP My Cash, etc.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: Arrival Points, M-Life, Hyatt, ULTIMATE REWARDS, AA, UAL, SOUTHWEST
Keeping track of it all

Wow. So many well thought out and sophisticated approaches to what we all consider important - our obsession with MS.

My tools:
1) scissors
2) Black Sharpie
3) Rubber Bands
4) samurai sword letter opener
5) Excel
6) shoe boxes
7) stapler

Steps:
1) After purchase of GCs, tie those up with rubber bands and store.
2) Unload GCs (whatever method) and slide the used GCs into back pocket while at WM. [If not all balance on GC is used, write amount remaining on back of GC and store along with other full GCs with rubber band - use samurai sword to scratch off.]

3) Staple receipts and MO stubs together and store in filing cabinet.
4) Cut used GCs with scissors and place in shoe box immediately after reconciling proper amounts unloaded with the number of GCs.
5) Record CC balances on Excel and record purchases and confirmed deliveries of GCs purchased online.

6) Continue researching ways of MS here or try new things as often as possible - you never know what you might find...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:36 am

I feel like I'm missing something, but why are people keeping GCs and cards after loading? Once they're loaded, I just cut up and toss.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:21 am

Loads can, and have been, reversed for any number ohf reasons. If you cut and toss the gift card that funds were later reversed on to, how will you get that money back? Better to be on the safe side by just throwing those used GCs in a bag, just in case you need them later.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by isobro
I feel like I'm missing something, but why are people keeping GCs and cards after loading? Once they're loaded, I just cut up and toss.
CYA. What if you needed those last 2 GCs for some reason. It has happened before to others with their accounts in lockdown mode.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by roki
Who uses pie charts in excel? That's for college presentations about crap the students don't understand.

My excel sheet is the macro approach, quite literally. I use macros for everything.
What do your macros actually do? Pull balances from websites?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I use a combo of mint.com and my own personal Excel sheet. (Maybe I should have done Google Docs so I could edit anywhere.) I have ability to view from anywhere but can't edit it and verify that the format will be the same later. Anyways, I keep track of everything that I spend on my excel sheet. I also track how much I buy in online GCs, how much cashback from portals and credit cards to expect and mark when it's received. Lastly, I keep track of some of my major CCs rewards. that way I know later if I am missing any points.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:26 pm

Can anyone share their google doc spreadsheet (blank or with examples, of course) so that I can copy the formulas on it? I'm a novice when it comes to formulas. Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I use a combo of mint.com and my own personal Excel sheet. (Maybe I should have done Google Docs so I could edit anywhere.) I have ability to view from anywhere but can't edit it and verify that the format will be the same later. Anyways, I keep track of everything that I spend on my excel sheet. I also track how much I buy in online GCs, how much cashback from portals and credit cards to expect and mark when it's received. Lastly, I keep track of some of my major CCs rewards. that way I know later if I am missing any points.
This is what I use also. I'm thinking about having someone turn my nice excel sheet into an iPhone app for me.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select
Google Docs is absolutely KEY. Just as good as Excel (you can still use basic formulas, though I miss the conditional rules I set up in Excel only). Easily accessible and updates dynamically across all my devices.

Warning, multiple points of access means more security risk for your information. I highly suggest you use two-step verification for ALL your GDocs/G suite apps. You can also set your phone to require a password stronger than a 4-digit pin or swipe pattern. My company requires this and I thought it was a hassle, but considering all the stuff on my phone, it's worth it.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass, National Executive
Originally Posted by CrediPig
Loads can, and have been, reversed for any number ohf reasons. If you cut and toss the gift card that funds were later reversed on to, how will you get that money back? Better to be on the safe side by just throwing those used GCs in a bag, just in case you need them later.
Thanks for the heads up on the load reversals. I'm another one that has just been tossing the GCs after they've been used. Never occurred to me that they could get reversed. Guess I'll start hanging onto them a little longer.

As far as method goes, I use an excel workbook for all of my spending, both regular and MS. For me, each CC has its own spending sheet, and then those totals are all combined with my regular accounts onto a master sheet.

I try not to MS more than I have available in my regular accounts at any one time, just as a precaution. In the event anything were to happen (robbed, lost wallet, frozen accts, etc.), I like knowing that I can cover any MS charges that I have outstanding without issue.

P.S. I address the issue with updating from anywhere by keeping the doc stored in the cloud through Box, and keeping a backup stored on my computer. I use two step verification to access Box from my android phone and edit as needed on the go. As worked very well for me so far.

Last edited by st7n; Apr 18, 2014 at 10:01 am Reason: added note on editing
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:10 pm

I use a combo of accounting software, spreadsheets, and a 13 envelope system.

The accounting software (KMyMoney) is used for keeping track of money accross all the accounts, credit cards, etc.

Spreadsheets (some in Google Drive) allow me to keep track of calculations (at what threshhold is it worth it to buy a VGC with a 1x/2x/3x card?) and unused gift cards. I like GD for keeping a running tab on Freedom spending per quarter.

The 13 envelope system is for holding onto receipts and old VGC/VRs. There are 12 envelopes labeled by month, and the 13th is for important receipts that I want to hold for a long time (new TV, laptop, etc.). As each new month starts, I remove the receipts, VRs, etc. from last April and shred them. I then start adding this April's receipts.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
The 13 envelope system is for holding onto receipts and old VGC/VRs. There are 12 envelopes labeled by month, and the 13th is for important receipts that I want to hold for a long time (new TV, laptop, etc.). As each new month starts, I remove the receipts, VRs, etc. from last April and shred them. I then start adding this April's receipts.
I actually like this idea! I might have to adopt it. Right now I have a box with all the cards with the receipt wrapped around the cards. However, this will be a little hard if I have to find a specific card and the receipt date isn't visible. Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:28 pm

keeping track

well, since I have a full time job and a weekend P/T job, I have to actually make time to buy/liquidate/deposit/and time spent going to CVS/Walgreens/Grocery/2 WM. Luckily at my main job I can hit the Drug stores while working and also the banks to deposit MO (4 banks and 2 CVS/Walgreens in walking distance in Manhattan) Try to buy the grocery VGC while mixing regular shopping and using the self checkout when no one is there, since I use many cards.I only hold the used VGC and OV for 2 weeks in my desk. Then I call to verify balance and toss. Even doing 1200-1500 Cash back in a month is very time consuming. Can't spend any more time bookkeeping. I do keep track of all my payments to various CC the old fashioned way. I use a pen and paper to mark all my many payments thru the month, and cross them off when the payment clears. haven't miss yet. I try to work all this MS in with my regular routine... stopping at CVS on way to work/stopping at Walgreens while at work, and going different routes by foot to pass my many banks. Then on Sat AM (7:30-9:00) hit WM for loading and MO and use their ATM for WD of 3 MVD. So far so good,... and the MVD I have had for 6 months, with no problem. Don't go crazy, and use them for very small spends during the week,. Don't mind the ATM fee (1.50) x3 and the 1.95x 3. But more time bookkeeping, no way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.