Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping track of manufactured spend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:56 am

Excel for CC apps / meeting min spending / all other relevant card data
Quickbooks for all MS activities (also includes Staples FAR and subsequent selling of said FAR items to others)
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Wife and I also use Excel for all our churning and ms record keeping and have for many years. Of course, we keep it locked with password protect and other ways to keep it very secure. It is our life on there, so worth more than gold. It does not exist on any phone nor will it ever, but that is our preference. Keep it safe!!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
Originally Posted by commdiver
Do you store the SSNs on your phone? That is incredibly unsafe.
Temporarily, and with a complex cypher.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by birdhands
Temporarily, and with a complex cypher.
That is just waiting to be hacked. I would seriously consider deleting that.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:02 am

Oops, sorry everybody. Maybe a mod could splice this into one of the existing threads.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
"Numbers" for iPhone/iPad work just like Excel.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:07 am

As for SS#s, I need one, plus DL, DOB, etc for each AP and Serve acct I operate. And I need them handy for when I call in to CS. Does anyone else, by the way, find themselves frequently impersonating someone of the opposite sex?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Fuerza
"Numbers" for iPhone/iPad work just like Excel.
Commdiver would take issue with your security. Do you take precautions?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:23 am

If all you have is information like what you bought, when you redeemed it, etc., there is not anything people can do with it. Heck, even if you are storing your VR numbers on Excel, it is probably safe. Just sensitive things like SSNs, DL numbers, etc. are best not stored.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
All I have on my phone is calculations. No account numbers or SSN ect.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
Excel for CC apps / meeting min spending / all other relevant card data
Quickbooks for all MS activities (also includes Staples FAR and subsequent selling of said FAR items to others)
I tried Quickbooks online but it wouldn't let me split payment properly on a moneymaker like the officemax $15 off $250 visa gift cards. If I bought $1000 and the credit card charge is 1000 + 34.65 - 60, it would not let me do the 1000 as a transfer to uncashed gift cards + mark the 34.65 as a purchase fee and mark the 60 as cash back. I could do journal entries to resolve but did not like the extra step. Any tips?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by nmp0
I tried Quickbooks online but it wouldn't let me split payment properly on a moneymaker like the officemax $15 off $250 visa gift cards. If I bought $1000 and the credit card charge is 1000 + 34.65 - 60, it would not let me do the 1000 as a transfer to uncashed gift cards + mark the 34.65 as a purchase fee and mark the 60 as cash back. I could do journal entries to resolve but did not like the extra step. Any tips?
Excel is totally the way to go on that. QB Online is also a horrible user experience, IMO. I'm not a fan of Quickbooks in general, but the online app is horrible.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by nmp0
Quicken handles this well.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:04 am

Just read this whole thread. It's got everything you could want to know.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:26 am

I'm well versed in excel, but excel doesn't work for iPad or iPhone. So I prefer to use the google spreadsheet which can be easily accessed on all of my devices.

Google spreadsheet is pretty robust these days and even supports more complicated excel formulas like indexing, sumifs, and nested if statements. I use google spreadsheets to track all of my MS purchases, costs of those purchases and cash back earned on purchases. I also run all of that data through a dashboard (summary) so I can see my monthly MS spend, net cost/gain, and how much has been put on which cards. I think google spreadsheets are the way to go until Microsoft provides excel cloud support for iPhone and iPad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.