Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping track of manufactured spend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Should be a phone application.

You would configure it with CC and checking account information after installing it.

When you buy GC, the phone would OCR the receipts and gift card numbers, storing the data in a DB, along with the image used for the OCR.

The app would also regularly search for online purchases at gift card sellers.

After getting purchase information, The phone app would then go online to the gift card issuer and verify the amount loaded, then set the pin to a value that the user configured on the computer.

When you cash out, the phone app would OCR picture of the cards used and the receipts, tie that to the cards and you cashed out (BP vs. MO vs. swipe reload), so that the application can look for those transactions. The phone application would then verify that the card used was drained.

It would log in to your Bluebird, credit card, checking and other MS related accounts on a regular basis to get newly pending and posted transactions. From those transactions, it would detect obvious MS transactions such as online purchases of GC, BB swipe reloads, etc.

It would use the GPS to track the number of miles driven and time spent on MS activities.

It would generate several reports or alerts:

* current MS status report, with a balance sheet, and a list of anomalies.
* current MS liability report, broken down by CC
* current MS asset report (GC, MO, BB & checking deposits)
* gift cards not cashed out report
* inactivated gift cards alert
* missing GC alert (bought online at a gift card store more than X days ago, and never scanned in)
* unknown MS purchase alert (posted transaction amount indicates an MS transaction, but no receipt or GC tied to it)
* unexpected fees and charges alert
* unexpected and/or missing deposits alert
* non-MS related charges per CC and GC
* a detailed list of daily spend type charges, so you can make sure to account for those.
* statement closing alert for each CC, telling how much you need to pay to zero out the statement.
* A report of how much each mile/point/cash back dollar earned cost, including gas used and time spent.
* a printed document that can be folded into an envelope upon cash out, where you can stash the GC and all the receipts to file away
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:45 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:30 am
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:54 pm

I use quicken.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
It's easy to try to write things off but I want to avoid that. I use a combination of Mint and pen and paper. Mostly because writing things down by hand forces me to memorize steps and I find it easier to see and scan all financial actions. But I'm not running 18 cards at once, either.
18 cards, that would be nice...I have 40ish between wife and I to keep organized. Granted we do not use many of them regularly, but a good portion are used monthly
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:30 pm

I'm going to be creating an all-encompassing MS spreadsheet in the next few days but I'm looking for a few experienced voices to help provide input as I'm fairly new to the game. If anyone is interested in joining the project please shoot me a PM. I will gladly include all requests.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by nemlich22
I'm going to be creating an all-encompassing MS spreadsheet in the next few days but I'm looking for a few experienced voices to help provide input as I'm fairly new to the game. If anyone is interested in joining the project please shoot me a PM. I will gladly include all requests.
You can only create an all encompassing *workbook* not worksheet. You'll need 1 tab for each different MS activity. You cant merge say, BB loading and VISA Buxx in 1 tab (assuming you're not loading BB with VISA Buxx, if you are, stop doing it it's a terrible idea .

I use a workbook + Quicken, you cannot do complete tracking with just workbook, it will take hours everyday if you only use excel and not quicken.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by nemlich22
Please feel free to PM me to share or post as a google doc for others to learn from. I've been using this:
http://milenomics.com/2014/05/purchase-tracking-tools/
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by kenshinluo
You can only create an all encompassing *workbook* not worksheet. You'll need 1 tab for each different MS activity. You cant merge say, BB loading and VISA Buxx in 1 tab (assuming you're not loading BB with VISA Buxx, if you are, stop doing it it's a terrible idea .

I use a workbook + Quicken, you cannot do complete tracking with just workbook, it will take hours everyday if you only use excel and not quicken.
There are a few ways you can break out tabs. By activity as mentioned above is one way. Another way is by MS pipeline, ie SMGC -> WM BP, TCB:AGC -> AFT, etc.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd organize the tabs by item to track: sources, CCs, debit cards, GCs, MOs, bank accounts, bank deposits, and then set up a form for each activity. A couple of examples:

1) if you were to buy VGC with an AGC, you would enter the type, last 4 of the card number, amount and activation fee for each GC bought. The spreadsheet would deduct the purchase amount from the AGC and add rows to the GC tab for each item you bought.
2) if you were to do WM BP with GC, you would enter each GC used and the amount taken from that GC. the spreadsheet would deduct the amount taken from each GC.

As a side benefit, it would be very easy to figure out what GCs you're supposed to have, what MOs you have to deposit, what bank accounts should have how much money, how much CL left on each CC and so on.

For those of you who complain this is too much work, you don't have to do it if you don't want to. But I do like knowing exactly where everything is.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by ceverett
There are a few ways you can break out tabs. By activity as mentioned above is one way. Another way is by MS pipeline, ie SMGC -> WM BP, TCB:AGC -> AFT, etc.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd organize the tabs by item to track: sources, CCs, debit cards, GCs, MOs, bank accounts, bank deposits, and then set up a form for each activity. A couple of examples:

1) if you were to buy VGC with an AGC, you would enter the type, last 4 of the card number, amount and activation fee for each GC bought. The spreadsheet would deduct the purchase amount from the AGC and add rows to the GC tab for each item you bought.
2) if you were to do WM BP with GC, you would enter each GC used and the amount taken from that GC. the spreadsheet would deduct the amount taken from each GC.

As a side benefit, it would be very easy to figure out what GCs you're supposed to have, what MOs you have to deposit, what bank accounts should have how much money, how much CL left on each CC and so on.

For those of you who complain this is too much work, you don't have to do it if you don't want to. But I do like knowing exactly where everything is.
Entering every GC is not practical. It takes lot of time.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tech2011
Entering every GC is not practical. It takes lot of time.
Yea I definitely don't do that. I enter the date of transaction (i.e. WM MOs) and then wrap up the gift cards used the receipt from the store.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:19 am

Forgive me mods if this violates the ToS regarding self-promotion, but since this thread is specifically devoted to tools for keeping track of MS and I'm not using a referral link, I thought I'd share. Feel free to delete.

I have a site manspender.com. I think it does a lot of the things people have requested here, and we're actively developing it to add features. Check it out if you're interested.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by unkinected
Forgive me mods if this violates the ToS regarding self-promotion, but since this thread is specifically devoted to tools for keeping track of MS and I'm not using a referral link, I thought I'd share. Feel free to delete.

I have a site manspender.com. I think it does a lot of the things people have requested here, and we're actively developing it to add features. Check it out if you're interested.
It would be helpful if there were an FAQ or some screen shots on the site. Almost no information is available without registration...
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey
It would be helpful if there were an FAQ or some screen shots on the site. Almost no information is available without registration...
Yea, a "how it works" section is coming...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:12 pm

For the people that use Quicken, do you use the asset and liability accounts? Or do you guys just put the gift card load amounts (or whatever you label the category) as a checking account?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Silverthunder
For the people that use Quicken, do you use the asset and liability accounts? Or do you guys just put the gift card load amounts (or whatever you label the category) as a checking account?
this how I do it in quicken, $504.95 (1 OV purchase), split: $499.54 Category to checking account (where the money deposited), $4.95+0.46 MO Category as MS expenses. when the reward posted/deposited in the account, category as MS income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.