Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping track of manufactured spend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by iminsandiego
I forgot to add that I count TCB cash back as income to the Miles Fees category and all credit card annual fees as expenses to Miles Fees.

This information is incredibly valuable since I can run a report on the category Miles Fees and see my net spend for Miles. For example, in the last 12 months I had a net spend of about $1100 in order to acquire over 2M miles. Granted, a large number of those miles are from sign up bonuses. But with this information I'm able to easily explain to my wife the value of stopping at Walmart on the way to visit her parents or why she needs to make a VR run at CVS with her new SPG card. She also understands the value when we fly in biz class across the Pacific or Atlantic for just the cost of taxes and fees on the awards.
I do exactly the same but use Mint.com. It synchs to most of the MS cards (Target, BB, Campus, MVD) just not GB.
I also use excel to track total card spend (for data to negotiate on card renewal and to make sure I'm not going too crazy on any 1 card) and to track reload dates for things that have a roll-over date (Chase GC, PP, Target etc.)
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Jeez, I guess I'm from the dark ages. I use the baggie method.

1) Write down amount of cards purchased on "August" index card. Index card lives in an "August" baggie. Only used cards are in the baggie. All unused cards in another place.
2) Place daily spending cards in mini wallet. Spend cards. Wrap receipt around used card
3) Put used cards in baggie w/ receipt. Make check mark on index card to indicate "spent". Put baggie in drawer and forget about it.

I'm not too worried about mixing up spend or utilization rates, because I'm still fairly new to this and am able to use most of my credit cards regularly. I'm more concerned about high balances reporting. I pay off my balances whenever I log on to the bank web sites and it seems too high. Floating the gift cards and the spend involved has messed up my ratios of debt to CL.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Excel does great for keeping track of such things. Plus it enables up to 16 digit accuracy on cpm calculation. What else would you want?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:14 am

I use excel. I have multiple tabs to account for every aspect of my finances. I have a separate tab for every CC that will add up all the points I should be earning and do a quick 2 minute sanity check when my statements close. I have a category called fees which inclues annual fees and GC fees and a category called cashback. Cashback-fees= net. I categorize Giftcards as exactly that. - for payment, + for load to BB, gobank, etc.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I've been looking into more personal finance apps. You Need a Budget (YNAB) is highly recommended. Regularly priced at $60, you can pick up a copy for only $15 through August 29th over on Steam. I just bought a copy. For some reason I trust paid software more than free.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227320/
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AS, AA, UR, SPG,
I Just started this game back in the summer. I have 7 cards and I have been burn by making some mistakes and forgetting stuff to do. I could swear I have lost some gift cards...

I do have mint, but I will need to track this on either access or excel pronto..
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, exSPG, Marriott TE
Was just clearing out my latest stash of used VR and PP cards. 93 VR and 21 PP.

#FAIL. Found two unused PP cards. Hit limit for this month already.

Guess I'll have to wait until next month to see if they are still valid??? Unless anyone has a genius way of unloading a PayPal card that doesn't involve giving it to a friend?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Put a label on the cards, wrap a rubber band around all of them,

First to go on top last on the bottom, and you are done.

Keep them all in one place.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
Tools/Apps/Methods For Organizing MS

Hi all. I looked back through the thread history and couldn't find this subject, so here goes:

Anyone interested in sharing how they stay on top of their MS? So far I use the Notebooks app in my iPhone to keep track of SS #s, approval dates, ideas, plans, purchases, liquidation schedules and deadlines, etc. But I suspect I'll soon outgrow it...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:22 am

Perhaps its just because I use Excel all day at work, but I find Microsoft Excel takes care of all my needs. It can be incredibly robust when you need it to be.

Granted I only do $30-50k a month, much less than some. But I don't forsee a situation where Excel wouldn't be able to handle what I'm doing.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by birdhands
Hi all. I looked back through the thread history and couldn't find this subject, so here goes:

Anyone interested in sharing how they stay on top of their MS? So far I use the Notebooks app in my iPhone to keep track of SS #s, approval dates, ideas, plans, purchases, liquidation schedules and deadlines, etc. But I suspect I'll soon outgrow it...
Do you store the SSNs on your phone? That is incredibly unsafe.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Why do you need SSNs for MS, and moreover, why do you need to know more than a few SSNs?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:34 am
wcj

deleted

Last edited by wcj; Jun 29, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by hamhead
Perhaps its just because I use Excel all day at work, but I find Microsoft Excel takes care of all my needs. It can be incredibly robust when you need it to be.

Granted I only do $30-50k a month, much less than some. But I don't forsee a situation where Excel wouldn't be able to handle what I'm doing.
Excel is awesome! I've slowly started mastering Excel from my college course days.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Excel is your friend. One workbook, two sheets. One for card, approval/AF dates, minimum spend tracking (window, amount spent + remaining). One for manufactured spend tracking. I track how much of the balance on each card is MS, and how much of the balance in my bank account is from MS. I updated the MS tracker every day or two, and it takes ~30 seconds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.