Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping track of manufactured spend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Churrro
I'm well versed in excel, but excel doesn't work for iPad or iPhone. So I prefer to use the google spreadsheet which can be easily accessed on all of my devices.

Google spreadsheet is pretty robust these days and even supports more complicated excel formulas like indexing, sumifs, and nested if statements. I use google spreadsheets to track all of my MS purchases, costs of those purchases and cash back earned on purchases. I also run all of that data through a dashboard (summary) so I can see my monthly MS spend, net cost/gain, and how much has been put on which cards. I think google spreadsheets are the way to go until Microsoft provides excel cloud support for iPhone and iPad.

+1. The ability to manipulate on the fly is a huge bonus and google spreadsheets has everything I can imagine anyone tracking MS could need; its pretty robust. Can't beat adding a transaction in the parking lot after purchase.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:38 pm

I use several spreadsheets in Google Drive. I like this because I can work on them with my phone, on my tablet, my home computer, or work computer.

For cards / AOR tracking… Issuing bank, last 4 of card, application and approval date.. spend requirement notes (cell colored red/green if pending/met), notes about keeping or closing, annual fee and notes about the benefits.

I also keep another spreadsheet for VR tracking. Date purchased, PIN, last four of the card (that is what shows on the receipt), date loaded and to what loaded. This has made it a lot easier to buy VRs in advance, keep them organized and easily know what resource the money was loaded to. I started doing this to keep a record in case of a MVD audit/request… but now it’s habit.

As far as amount spent and % of which card is what.. I don’t track that. Each back is happy to tell me how much is on each card. Oh, I do use Mint.com to see them all at a glance… a few times a month I add up all debt vs. all “banked” (VRs, OV, MOs, beans, loaded on debits, bank balances, etc etc) to see how far apart the balances are. This helps me identify if I “lost” something somewhere in the documentation.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:41 pm

I'm well versed in excel, but excel doesn't work for iPad or iPhone. So I prefer to use the google spreadsheet which can be easily accessed on all of my devices.

Google spreadsheet is pretty robust these days and even supports more complicated excel formulas like indexing, sumifs, and nested if statements. I use google spreadsheets to track all of my MS purchases, costs of those purchases and cash back earned on purchases. I also run all of that data through a dashboard (summary) so I can see my monthly MS spend, net cost/gain, and how much has been put on which cards. I think google spreadsheets are the way to go until Microsoft provides excel cloud support for iPhone and iPad.
Wow, mind sharing your sheet (albeit, with dummy data)? I'd love to cull out that information, and would rather not reinvent the wheel.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I use 1Password app for account information and I'll give another huzzah! for Google Sheets. Makes it really easy to access all your spending history on all your devices. No worrying about using the most recent version back on your laptop.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:18 pm

Excel for iOS coming soon! I'm excited to be able to track my Excel spreadsheets with it.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Excel for iOS coming soon! I'm excited to be able to track my Excel spreadsheets with it.
Hopefully you'll be just as excited to pay Microsoft $10/month to use it!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:47 pm

Any one of these tools has the potential to suck you in if you are big into customizing it. I take the macro approach and only worry about weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual net gains.

My main concern is accurately tracking xfers from all the different types of accounts (prepaids, checking, savings, investments, etc) and syncing new trxns. For this a quicken-like software gets the job done. Could I spend countless hours on excel getting it just the way I like it? You bet! But, IMO, that time could be best used making $$$ rather than looking at colorful pie charts I spend min/hours/days to perfect.

But to each their own.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Any one of these tools has the potential to suck you in if you are big into customizing it. I take the macro approach and only worry about weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual net gains.

My main concern is accurately tracking xfers from all the different types of accounts (prepaids, checking, savings, investments, etc) and syncing new trxns. For this a quicken-like software gets the job done. Could I spend countless hours on excel getting it just the way I like it? You bet! But, IMO, that time could be best used making $$$ rather than looking at colorful pie charts I spend min/hours/days to perfect.

But to each their own.
Who uses pie charts in excel? That's for college presentations about crap the students don't understand.

My excel sheet is the macro approach, quite literally. I use macros for everything.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by roki
Who uses pie charts in excel? That's for college presentations about crap the students don't understand.

My excel sheet is the macro approach, quite literally. I use macros for everything.
I don't understand what you mean by "macro approach". Can you give some details about what is it you do?

I myself prefer to use Google Drive. I have some Google Spreadsheets:

- One spreadsheet for tracking opening bonus requirements (i.e. spend 3k, get 50k miles). I put every transactions into this file. One tab for each credit card. It shows me how much I have spent and how much I have yet to spend.

- One spreadsheet to keep track of the info of all my credit cards, like: name, credit limit, cash advance, APR, etc... No sensitive information like CC number, etc.

- One spreadsheet to keep track of all my MS activities. This is a work in process. The original is an Excel file, but I decided to move it to Google because of the limitations of the Excel approach: the file resides in one place, can't access it from any device easily, etc. Right now I'm still using the Excel file, but can't wait to abandon Excel for good.

- One spreadsheet in which I keep track of all my points for all the programs: points earned, redeemed, balance.

There is probably a way to merge a couple of these spreadsheets into a single spreadsheet with multiple tabs. Never put sensitive information in this spreadsheets. In case you are hacked, the hacker doesn't get any of your financial information.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by nmp0
I tried Quickbooks online but it wouldn't let me split payment properly on a moneymaker like the officemax $15 off $250 visa gift cards. If I bought $1000 and the credit card charge is 1000 + 34.65 - 60, it would not let me do the 1000 as a transfer to uncashed gift cards + mark the 34.65 as a purchase fee and mark the 60 as cash back. I could do journal entries to resolve but did not like the extra step. Any tips?
This is my first time using QB desktop so bear with me. At least on desktop version, I made a couple of dummy accounts, one of which I call "Plastic Expenses." Any time I purchase a VR, for example, I put in the category $500+$3.95 fee for a total transaction of $503.95. I then "invoice" CVS for $500. Once I cash out my VR, I mark that invoice as paid. All I'm left with is the $3.95 fee in that expense category.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
This is my first time using QB desktop so bear with me. At least on desktop version, I made a couple of dummy accounts, one of which I call "Plastic Expenses." Any time I purchase a VR, for example, I put in the category $500+$3.95 fee for a total transaction of $503.95. I then "invoice" CVS for $500. Once I cash out my VR, I mark that invoice as paid. All I'm left with is the $3.95 fee in that expense category.
That part worked fine for me but what if CVS is having a promotion where you get $10 instant off if you buy a $500 VR. They sell you a $500 VR with a $3.95 fee but only charge you $493.95 to your credit card. How do you account for the $10 discount they gave you which I would count as either a purchase discount or cashback?

I can do it fine in excel but couldn't create a negative split when identifying downloading transactions.

I'll see if I can find a trial of Quicken and do it in there as another poster indicated.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:33 am

That part worked fine for me but what if CVS is having a promotion where you get $10 instant off if you buy a $500 VR. They sell you a $500 VR with a $3.95 fee but only charge you $493.95 to your credit card. How do you account for the $10 discount they gave you which I would count as either a purchase discount or cashback?

I can do it fine in excel but couldn't create a negative split when identifying downloading transactions.

I'll see if I can find a trial of Quicken and do it in there as another poster indicated.
I record the $493.95 as my expense but then invoice CVS for the full $500. That'll give me a positive $6.95 to my expenses account. It's worked well so far since all I care about are out of pocket costs. I do the same sort of accounting with my Staples account. Net this year OOP is a positive amount, so I know I'm making money on Staples purchases.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:10 pm

I find Yodlee labs useful for MS tracking. Now Yodlee can link Bluebird accounts in addition to credit card data. I can cross reference the VR and CC spend by creating categories and sub categories of my choice. Mint.com does not offer me category flexibilty.

This saves me time and reduces logging into BB accounts except for first week of the month.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I tried Quickbooks online but it wouldn't let me split payment properly on a moneymaker like the officemax $15 off $250 visa gift cards. If I bought $1000 and the credit card charge is 1000 + 34.65 - 60, it would not let me do the 1000 as a transfer to uncashed gift cards + mark the 34.65 as a purchase fee and mark the 60 as cash back. I could do journal entries to resolve but did not like the extra step. Any tips?
I just got done doing exactly that for ~$14K on the last promo. I put in the correct amount of the fees and assign the rest to the account the money is deposited in, for each transaction. Then open the credit card account under company>chart of accounts and edit each transaction to the correct amount, and add a line for the coupon with a negative cost. One you do a couple, it takes an extra 10 or 15 seconds per OM transaction.

Edit: it would probably be easier to just accept them all as misc expenses and then edit each one in the chart of accounts.

Last edited by KennyBSAT; Mar 21, 2014 at 7:49 pm
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
Originally Posted by commdiver
Do you store the SSNs on your phone? That is incredibly unsafe.
Originally Posted by commdiver
That is just waiting to be hacked. I would seriously consider deleting that.
How about this? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/te...passwords.html

Edit: Ah, I see at least one of you uses iPassword. Anyone else use it? Looks great.

Last edited by birdhands; Mar 22, 2014 at 8:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.