Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by DCBob
Well, none of the 7-11 stores in my neighborhood sell gas. But they also don't sell VR cards.

I wish I could find one that did sell VR cards. Then I could test to see how my purchase would be coded by Chase at a non-service station 7-11. My Chase Priority Rewards Visa gives 2x points for both gas station and grocery store purchases. Anyone have any experience on buying VRs at a 7-11 that does not sell gas?
If you happen to be in the distant 'burbs out by IAD, you will find a lot of them. However, buying with a CC is very YMMV.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by cwilson830
Can anyone help me out? Thanks
One idea - check the original Bluebird thread that is in the wiki above. I think there was some discussion of Serve/BB issues there.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ctbarron
One idea - check the original Bluebird thread that is in the wiki above. I think there was some discussion of Serve/BB issues there.
Thanks - what I found there somewhat contradicted my situation.

As for the Amex forum, I'll definitely try there if no one here knows. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:45 pm

I wasn't going to say that, but that is true.
I worked in SE DC for a little while, it's not a secret how bad it is and they talk about it all the time. Anyway OT, apologies everyone.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by cwilson830
Thanks - what I found there somewhat contradicted my situation.

As for the Amex forum, I'll definitely try there if no one here knows. Thanks everyone for the advice.
I hope you will post back on what you find out. I am having the same problem. I called to cancel my serve account and it has been 3 days now and bluebird is still not letting me register.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, AA, UA
Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks.

All of my 7-11 purchases, whether attached to gas stations or not, are coded 'auto related' just like actual gas stations (Chevron, 76, etc). No trouble buying Vanilla VISA $500 cards here in N. Cal w Bold.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:49 pm

I spent a frustrating hour on the phone with bb and then serve. Even though I got an e-mail from serve verifying that my serve account was closed 3 days ago, every time I try to register for bb, I get an error message telling me I already have a serve account. BB is telling me it takes 30 days for a serve account to "fully close."

I searched the previous ft thread, and whenever someone could not open a post-serve bb account, it was always because they did not use the exact same info for both accounts-- trying to use a different e-mail or phone # for the bb account.

Cwilson, you and I are the only unfortunate cases I can find that are dealing with this frustration.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:39 pm

Hi. I've been buying VRs at 7-11s in NYC by credit card since June without a problem. I bought one as recently as last night. Others in NYC have reported the opposite - cash only at many of the stores. All of the 7-11s I've been to are stand alone stores, but they are coded as service stations. I wrote about this on my blog, which you are welcome to visit if you'd like (http://first2board.com/willrunformiles/)
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Thanks, but the problem in DC is that the 7-11 stores in this area carry a paltry number of gift and prepaid cards to begin with - there isn't even a slot for VR cards. It's not a big deal because I live within a 3-minute walk of CVS, which usually has them in stock (and probably within a 15-minute walk of a dozen others).

I'm not going to hop on Metro and venture into SE DC just to find a 7-11 that has VRs. The extra time and money would negate the value of buying VR cards there, esp. since there are seven 7-11 locations within a mile of my home (according to the location finder). I will give the other six a try when I'm in the neighborhood.
To make this clearer, you don't need to go to SW. But you will probably need to go to a 7-11 in a neighborhood where there are more check cashing businesses than banks. People in higher-demographic neighborhoods (other than FTers) are unlikely to need the benefits VRs afford.

And, if you find a 7-11 that codes the sales as gas station or auto-related, you benefit by the multiplier that some cards afford (Amex PRG, Hilton Surpass, etc.) for those kinds of purchases that you might not get from CVS.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:51 pm

Hi guys, is it safe to use a chase/citi/Amex cc to buy vr, then load it to bb, and then use bb to pay the credit card's bill? I suppose this must be already discussed in this thread, I tried to check about 20 pages, but there are still more than 70 pages remained.. So anyone can give some comment? Thanks very much.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Vivek Matt
Hi guys, is it safe to use a chase/citi/Amex cc to buy vr, then load it to bb, and then use bb to pay the credit card's bill? I suppose this must be already discussed in this thread, I tried to check about 20 pages, but there are still more than 70 pages remained.. So anyone can give some comment? Thanks very much.
You wont regret reading those 70 pages.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vivek Matt
I've done it with no problems. I don't make large purchases, though -- only a few thousand a month per card.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
I'm really surprised that the people that want to know if their respective 7-Eleven's are coded as gas stations don't just go in and buy something small, like a pack of gum. Just wait to see how it posts, and you have your answer. I'd much rather do that than buy a $500 VR and HOPE it posts as a gas purchase...maybe that's just me??
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Nevafazeme
I'm really surprised that the people that want to know if their respective 7-Eleven's are coded as gas stations don't just go in and buy something small, like a pack of gum. Just wait to see how it posts, and you have your answer. I'd much rather do that than buy a $500 VR and HOPE it posts as a gas purchase...maybe that's just me??
If I can get a VR at a gas station at all, even at 1x, i'd be happy.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
You wont regret reading those 70 pages.
Seriously, what he said. ^

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I've done it with no problems. I don't make large purchases, though -- only a few thousand a month per card.
Not fool proof. Highly individualized based on each person's CL, reported earning, spending habits etc.

Again... read those posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.