Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Barry2013
Originally Posted by jennbar
I never thought of it being the same as me paying rent each month, but I definitely see that it is. My biggest fear (like most I assume) is getting shut down, so I have only used BB for rent. I plan to maximize it more by paying for my energy bill next month and on.

I'd like to use it to pay off my credit card and make it a revolving cycle, but it seems too easy to get shut down. Do you think by the fact that I use it to pay rent and utilities, it will chill that factor a bit? I pay with MyVanilla and have yet to find another gc worth it besides chase gc which I used last month.
There shouldn't be any real fear of getting shut down by BB yet as there haven't been any shutdowns yet. If you are concerned, I would make sure you are profitable to BB by mixing in some swipes, not just using bill pay.
Sorry not BB, but by the various gc companies.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Have you seen the new VR cards being sold by 7-11? No bar code, new rub off sticker, and a magnetic swipe strip.
Just a quick question. Are these VRs sold by 7-11 eligible to receive the 5X UR points using Freedom (for this quarter) & 2X UR points using Sapphire Preferred.

I assume they are able to get loaded on BB like other VRs sold by CVS

Last edited by cowboyguy; Jul 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Just a quick question. Are these VRs sold by 7-11 eligible to receive the 5X UR points using Freedom (for this quarter) & 2X UR points using Sapphire Preferred.

How did you score a SAP that pays 2x? mine is 2x only for travel or restaurants

the few 7-11s some friends tried all said no CCs, so good luck finding 1 that will take a CC
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by craz
How did you score a SAP that pays 2x? mine is 2x only for travel or restaurants

the few 7-11s some friends tried all said no CCs, so good luck finding 1 that will take a CC
Thanks for the reply.

I just got a VR from 7-11. Its the same one that's available from CVS & I was able to get it on CC.

The only question now is if I'll get 2 UR points for it. Isn't Chase Sapphire Preferred eligible to get 2 UR points on Gas?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:21 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I just got a VR from 7-11. Its the same one that's available from CVS & I was able to get it on CC.

The only question now is if I'll get 2 UR points for it. Isn't Chase Sapphire Preferred eligible to get 2 UR points on Gas?
No, CSP doesn't get 2x on gas. Just Restaurants, airfare, hotels, car rentals, taxi's, and train fares.

I wish it got 2x on gas!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:26 pm

I used Visa GCs, but I understand 7-11 is coded as grocery store. Load just like the others.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the reply.

INK is 2x on gas not SAP, SAP is 2x on Travel (I think that is purchased via their site, didnt look at the * ) and Restaurants

Now plenty of times I purchased gas say from Kroger(I think that was the chain) yet didnt get the bonus pts with the CC I was using, reason is that even thou I used the CC at the pump it wasnt coded as a gas station but as a supermarket. So if my CC gave 2x at supermarkets I would have gotten 2x even thou all I purchased was gasoline and gas is 1x

When it comes to the bonus pts the only way you get the bonus pts is if the seller is coded as 1 of those type of charges that qualifys for the extra pts. Thats why its not what you purchase that is important but how the seller is coded. Some Amex use to give 2x for gas but purchase it at a Costco and you only get 1x since and Costco is considered a wholesale store which means buying your groceries there wouldnt earn any bonus unless Wholesale stores is the catagory getting them

So if the 7-11 was coded as a grocery and not as a gas station then INK wont give you 2x on the gas purchase. Could be if it was originally a gas station and then added on the 7-11 convience store it may go thru as gas, but my gut tells me 7-11 corp would have made the approiate chnages

For yrs after a Hotel I used to stay at didnt change their name with the company that processed their CC swipes. So I wasnt getting 5X on my Marriott CC but 1X. Since it was as listed as a Ramada Hotel and not a Reniassance

hope this helps you
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:54 pm

INK is 2x on gas not SAP, SAP is 2x on Travel (I think that is purchased via their site, didnt look at the * ) and Restaurants

Now plenty of times I purchased gas say from Kroger(I think that was the chain) yet didnt get the bonus pts with the CC I was using, reason is that even thou I used the CC at the pump it wasnt coded as a gas station but as a supermarket. So if my CC gave 2x at supermarkets I would have gotten 2x even thou all I purchased was gasoline and gas is 1x

When it comes to the bonus pts the only way you get the bonus pts is if the seller is coded as 1 of those type of charges that qualifys for the extra pts. Thats why its not what you purchase that is important but how the seller is coded. Some Amex use to give 2x for gas but purchase it at a Costco and you only get 1x since and Costco is considered a wholesale store which means buying your groceries there wouldnt earn any bonus unless Wholesale stores is the catagory getting them

So if the 7-11 was coded as a grocery and not as a gas station then INK wont give you 2x on the gas purchase. Could be if it was originally a gas station and then added on the 7-11 convience store it may go thru as gas, but my gut tells me 7-11 corp would have made the approiate chnages

For yrs after a Hotel I used to stay at didnt change their name with the company that processed their CC swipes. So I wasnt getting 5X on my Marriott CC but 1X. Since it was as listed as a Ramada Hotel and not a Reniassance

hope this helps you
If 7-11 is coded as grocery, it may make sense to use Amex BCP since it gives 6% on grocery (there's an annual cap though).

But how about Freedom? It gives 5% for this quarter on gas. I think the best bet will be to buy a couple of VRs on Freedom from 7-11 (and some other local gad stations) and then either call chase or wait for the statement to see if you got the full 5%.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:19 pm
Suspended

If 7-11 is coded as grocery, it may make sense to use Amex BCP since it gives 6% on grocery (there's an annual cap though).

But how about Freedom? It gives 5% for this quarter on gas. I think the best bet will be to buy a couple of VRs on Freedom from 7-11 (and some other local gad stations) and then either call chase or wait for the statement to see if you got the full 5%.
I dont carry a Freedom card. I wouldnt call Chase!!! worse comes to worse you wil get only 1 pt. Unless you are driving an 18 wheeler how are you gonna explain $1000s or even $500 being spent at a gas station. For me too many Flags may be raised by calling

Experiment buy a GC and wait to see if it gets 5x. I know from the CCs I have that have bonus catagorys theres no way for me to know which purchase got the 5X and which didnt. eg I spent $1000 at supermarkets which is suppose to be 2x but only got 910 extra pts = certain stores werent coded as being a supermarket.

There are some CCs that show you the # of pts you earned on every line eg Barclays Arrival CC. Unfortuantely most dont and only bundle it all together = not being able to know which got it and which didnt, sure I can call up the CC and have them go over each purcahse and tell me but if Im up to no good (MS) I sure as heck dont want anyone from the CC looking closely at my statement

sometimes we simply must roll the dice and hope it doesnt come out Craps. In your situation you cant lose either youd get 1 pt per $1 or 5 . So dont go bananas yet and wait and see how it comes out on your statement or hopefully someone elses statement will close and will post how it was treated
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:26 pm

There are some CCs that show you the # of pts you earned on every line eg Barclays Arrival CC. Unfortuantely most dont and only bundle it all together = not being able to know which got it and which didnt, sure I can call up the CC and have them go over each purcahse and tell me but if Im up to no good (MS) I sure as heck dont want anyone from the CC looking closely at my statement
Tracking is a basic part of manufactured spending for me. So, that if something wrong, I can tell exactly what purchase, which store, etc., etc. And, I have Excel setup so that it calculates points. For Chase, I use function: Ceiling. =CEILING(A1*4, 1) for 4x (A1 = the cell of total amount purchased from a 4x merchant).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vagrants
Tracking is a basic part of manufactured spending for me. So, that if something wrong, I can tell exactly what purchase, which store, etc., etc. And, I have Excel setup so that it calculates points. For Chase, I use function: Ceiling. =CEILING(A1*4, 1) for 4x (A1 = the cell of total amount purchased from a 4x merchant).
Ok so lets say you purchased $1500 of GCs at a 7-11 and say at a gas station and another $1500 @ OD that was the only spend that month and you see you got 16,500 pts all together, How do you which of the 3 didnt get 5x but only 1x? or all you got was 10,500 that means only 1 of the 3 gave you 5x and the other 2 1x which got the 5x?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:49 pm

Ok so lets say you purchased $1500 of GCs at a 7-11 and say at a gas station and another $1500 @ OD that was the only spend that month and you see you got 16,500 pts all together, How do you which of the 3 didnt get 5x but only 1x? or all you got was 10,500 that means only 1 of the 3 gave you 5x and the other 2 1x which got the 5x?
You have to buy it in a way that you know.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vagrants
You have to buy it in a way that you know.
after a few months(statements) Im sure a person will be able to figure it out. For those of us 1st starting out trail and error will be the way

when I got a Amex charge card back when , I used that at Costco to get my gas since it was I think 2x on gas. After adding up all my gas purchases I saw I was short changed (no MS) By crunching the #s I was able to see that Costco didnt cme thru as 2x. I called up Amex and was told although you purchased gas and your card was swiped at the pump, the problem is all of Costcos charges go thru the same code and thusly it doesnt show up as a gas purchase but a wholesale purchase which earns only 1x, and they werent going to give even 1 pt more then I got.

Needless to say if those who got therir CC statement see that they purchased GCs somewhere and didnt get any bonus pts they thought they would, would post thusly it can save alot of folks some heartache
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:29 pm

From my experience, 7-11 codes as a grocery store for AMEX and a gas station for visa/MC. Of course, YMMV as each store could be different.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

7-11 is coded at Grocery not gas, as someone pointed out you need to be careful just because you buy gas doesn't mean you will get the higher % it is how the whole store is coded...

For me I get the beans at CVS and just get the 1% but it pays almost for the fee..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.