Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Personally, I am really getting tired of saying "But i bought one here 3 weeks ago with no problems" to many places that gave me no problem before. =(
Some go through the second time, some say their managers won't allow it anymore. UGHH
^, The 8 miles away drugstore understand how to ring these VR with no problem, however, it's hard to find the VR there. The one near my house has more idiots working there who always try to make excuse not to ring my purchase
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Limit on Beans at 711?

Anyone experience a situation where trying to buy multiple white beans at 711 (sorry if not coded correctly and too direct)?

I've had 2 occasions - chicago - where one trans went through fine (max load 1 card). Second trans (max load 1 card) with a DIFFERENT credit card, the trans was approved by CC provider but subsequently declined by incomm.

Seems very odd, can't figure out why this happened. Maybe a one off store issue, but i've had it happen 2 different days.

Would appreciate thoughts and input of the experts here on FT

AND (most importantly!), thank you all for sharing the info you know. This has been such an amazing resource. Less than 1 year into "the game" and 700k +/- miles at my disposal....
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
Anyone experience a situation where trying to buy multiple white beans at 711 (sorry if not coded correctly and too direct)?

I've had 2 occasions - chicago - where one trans went through fine (max load 1 card). Second trans (max load 1 card) with a DIFFERENT credit card, the trans was approved by CC provider but subsequently declined by incomm.

Seems very odd, can't figure out why this happened. Maybe a one off store issue, but i've had it happen 2 different days.

Would appreciate thoughts and input of the experts here on FT

AND (most importantly!), thank you all for sharing the info you know. This has been such an amazing resource. Less than 1 year into "the game" and 700k +/- miles at my disposal....
You need to call Incomm to find out why your Vanilla Reload card wouldn't load on vanillareload.com. It's possible the card was not activated when you bought it at 7-11 because the server went down or the cashier did something wrong. Incomm will tell you how to fix the situation. You might have to fax them or email a copy of the receipt from 7-11. I assume you actually bought the unactivated card and took it home. Otherwise, how do you know Incomm declined it? They only decline unactivated VR cards, not CC cards, and only after you enter the VR PIN on their website. If you didn't take the VR cards with you, don't worry about it. Just buy one at a time at 7-11 or buy 2 at CVS instead.

And who told you to call them white beans? Everyone on earth knows what beans are by now - it's not a secret.

Last edited by DCBob; Jul 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:12 pm

Limit on Beans at 711?

DC, thanks for the response.

CC reader at 711 said approved, then subsequently a "credit" showed up and the transaction was cancelled. i.e. "approved", then -500.00 and -3.95, and 0 due.

Dealing with keystone cops at this location, initial clerk yesterday had to call someone to ring it up. She did, no prob on first trip yesterday. Second trip, first card approved no problem. Second card, above "credit" occurred. Clerk (different from original clerk) stated "we get bad VR's sometimes, maybe try another one". Grabbed a different one of the rack, same thing. Thanked clerk for trying and went on my way.

JUST went back again to hope system had "reset".... but got the approved/ then credit trans again (again with keystone cop #1). Cops boss says "debit or cash only, credit card doesn't work".

Who knows. I picked up a couple here and am happy. May try again tomorrow before my flight out of ORD tomorrow PM. Just curious. I have multiple Charlie Victor Sierra's at home that I can acquire at, but only 1x points. Was looking to leverage 2x if possible
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Anybody know if this has changed recently? I went to my local WM just before 10pm PDT (midnight CDT) and loaded 1k to mine and my wife's BBs. Walked around for a bit and at about 10 minutes after 10pm and got "Debit Not Approved". Tried three different times with two different Chase GCs and it was a no-go. Had just loaded 3 Chase GCs without an issue, so I doubt it is the GCs. Is it possibly local to your timezone, or maybe something messed up with CDT vs CST?
Appears that previously reported information is incorrect. Called BB today to see what was going on since I still couldn't load mid-day today. They confirmed that my transactions from last night posted at 12:57 and 12:58 which means they counted towards today's 1K limit. Note that I was in the store at about 9:57 and 9:58 Pacific time. CSR also confirmed that the BB systems run on Eastern time.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:23 pm

Appears that previously reported information is incorrect. Called BB today to see what was going on since I still couldn't load mid-day today. They confirmed that my transactions from last night posted at 12:57 and 12:58 which means they counted towards today's 1K limit. Note that I was in the store at about 9:57 and 9:58 Pacific time. CSR also confirmed that the BB systems run on Eastern time.
This is definitely a change, but one I like. Now I don't have to go to WM so late to get two loads in.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I get emails when I load money on my BB, did you get a email stating that money was loaded? Also when you log in to your account, it will show that money was loaded and the time it was loaded.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Dealing with keystone cops at this location, initial clerk yesterday had to call someone to ring it up. She did, no prob on first trip yesterday. Second trip, first card approved no problem. Second card, above "credit" occurred. Clerk (different from original clerk) stated "we get bad VR's sometimes, maybe try another one". Grabbed a different one of the rack, same thing. Thanked clerk for trying and went on my way.

Who knows. I picked up a couple here and am happy. May try again tomorrow before my flight out of ORD tomorrow PM. Just curious. I have multiple Charlie Victor Sierra's at home that I can acquire at, but only 1x points. Was looking to leverage 2x if possible
Now, since 7-11 is fairly new with VR's I'm guessing they have teething problems with the whole system. To call the cleark "keystone cops" really shows the lack of understanding on what the real issue it.

Lastly what is this Charlie Victor Sierra's crap... Just write CVS, its no secert and its all over the web..
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by flightnurse
lastly what is this charlie victor sierra's crap... Just write cvs, its no secert and its all over the web..
Lima Oscar Lima!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Now, since 7-11 is fairly new with VR's I'm guessing they have teething problems with the whole system. To call the cleark "keystone cops" really shows the lack of understanding on what the real issue it.

Lastly what is this Charlie Victor Sierra's crap... Just write CVS, its no secert and its all over the web..
Nurse, thanks for responding, although I find it odd you attack my post rather than try to add any information that might be useful to people.

keystone cops was a lighthearted non judgmental comment. If you were in the store and had to see a few people try to process the transaction, repeatedly, and then come out and say "cash only" (after the credit card was approved) was a clear indication they didn't know how to process the transactions. So I agree, they are having teething problems.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
JUST went back again to hope system had "reset".... but got the approved/ then credit trans again (again with keystone cop #1). Cops boss says "debit or cash only, credit card doesn't work".

Well, I have never heard of a 7-11 that accepts CCs for VR cards, so that might well be correct. And how do you know you will get 2x points or miles at 7-11? I believe they are coded as convenience stores, not grocery stores, and I haven't heard of a CC that gives a bonus for convenience stores. Please let us know which card gives 2x at convenience stores.

Several CCs give bonuses for grocery stores, including my United Mileage Plus Select Visa card. Also, my Virgin America Visa card is offering 3x points (targeted) for purchases at drugstores through September 30, so I am using that card at CVS. In addition, you don't need 2x if you use a Starwood Amex card. A Starpoint is worth about 2.5 cents at hotels. A Starpoint is also worth 1.25 miles at many airlines as well. Think about those cards before you buy.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
Well, I have never heard of a 7-11 that accepts CCs for VR cards, so that might well be correct. And how do you know you will get 2x points or miles at 7-11? I believe they are coded as convenience stores, not grocery stores, and I haven't heard of a CC that gives a bonus for convenience stores. Please let us know which card gives 2x at convenience stores.

Several CCs give bonuses for grocery stores, including my United Mileage Plus Select Visa card. Also, my Virgin America Visa card is offering 3x points (targeted) for purchases at drugstores through September 30, so I am using that card at CVS. In addition, you don't need 2x if you use a Starwood Amex card. A Starpoint is worth about 2.5 cents at hotels. A Starpoint is also worth 1.25 miles at many airlines as well. Think about those cards before you buy.
Hey again DC.

I have had 2 successful transactions on (1x each on different days) at this store. It's when I try to do a second transaction immediately after the first that the "glitch" pops up.

I don't know that I'll get 2x points, trying to test it out to see if it works. If not, no worries, I'm still happy manufacturing at 1x. And I'm still relatively new to the game, so I don't have a full portfolio of cards to use for bonuses (yet).

Thanks for the input and feedback, it's appreciated.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

Seems very new, but described in this blog post: http://www.flytheory.com/vanilla-rel...s-at-7-eleven/ that has been tracked back by several other blogs, including VFTW. Given some of the grousing in the comments sections of the blogs about publicizing this technique, others appear to have experienced some success. The 2X may be possible if the 7-11 sells gas as the coding for purchases there may get identified as being from a gas station and even seems possible at some locations that do not sell gas.

For me, this is of interest because a second retailer allowing purchases of VRs by credit card would suggest less of a likelihood that CC purchases will eventually get shut down. And stop some of the Charlie Victor Sierra nonsense. In addition, given how open sight lines are at these stores, I'm hopeful we'll see less "hided" VRs.

Last edited by lwildernorva; Jul 14, 2013 at 9:22 am
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I get emails when I load money on my BB, did you get a email stating that money was loaded? Also when you log in to your account, it will show that money was loaded and the time it was loaded.
Yes, emails received on both accounts. Mine was loaded second (i.e. after my wife's) and the times on the emails were both 9:58pm. BB account does NOT list time on it, however, it does list the date of transactions. Both are listed as July 12, which was Friday, yet they both apparently counted as my Saturday (13th) load.

Worked at the very first 7-11 that I walked into, though it took a little convincing of the clerk. Ended up walking out with two fully loaded cards. Granted, I haven't tried since. BTW, Visa codes every 7-11 in SoCal that I've looked at as gas. My statement for those purchases has closed and I did get double miles on a card with a gas bonus and it shows up as coded as "SERVICE STATIONS (WITH OR W/O ANCILLARY SERVICES) "

Edit:
Also, those new cards have been at 7-Eleven for quite some time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20930257-post289.html

Last edited by jasonvr; Jul 14, 2013 at 11:01 am
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:09 am

BTW, Visa codes every 7-11 in SoCal that I've looked at as gas.
Is this true of Chase Freedom? Now that the gas purchases are 5x, will VR purchases at non-gas 7-11 locations receive 5x points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.