Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:16 pm

Just bought a Vanilla Reload at 7-Eleven in Kernersville NC using my Freedom card. Has a gas station. Will wait and see if I get the 5X bonus.

Forgot the daily 1K limit and tried to load 1.5K today. Got an error message as I should. Will load the final $500 tomorrow. This VR had a different scratch off strip than any of the previous ones I had bought. Maybe a new strip because of fraud?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by frugaltravel
I called the 1-800 behind the card, the minute I failed reloading and the balance is $500, no problem. I never have to set up PIN online with this Vanilla Visa GC. I just use last 4 digits as PIN. I bought numerous Vanilla Visa GC at OD, OM & Staples, never have problem before. This is the first time I bought the Vanilla GC at CVS and have a problem.
I found waiting at least 24 hrs from whenever the GCs were purchased or activated saves alot of hassles. When I didnt wait ran into the brick wall any time I waited min 24 hrs never had any problems
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by vrbaba
7-Eleven manager asked to copy my License if I wanted to purchase anymore at the store saying "security reasons if anyone asked".

I declined.
Ask for a copy of his and all of his employees.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Kind of off-topic.. Not sure where to post.. So trying here...

Just wondering if there will be problems paying a credit card with cash IN the bank frequently? We could deposit that to checking account and pay CC but don't want to make frequent cash deposits in to bank account and trigger a CTR or STR.. And technically 2 less transactions in account too...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Discovered for myself that the local 7-11 imposes a limit of $1,000 per day on VRs, ie 2 x $500s. The first 2 ran just fine using a different CC for each.
Ran into a wall when attempting to buy a 3rd one, also using a different CC. Even though the CC reader said it was approved, it did not ask for my signature and the clerk said it wasn't properly ringing; he even tried another cash register. For both times, the receipt listed the $500 + the fee, but then listed them again as a negative charge (declined by declined by Incomm) so that the total ended up being $0.
However, my CC now lists 2 separate $503.95 charges as pending.

I saw someone ran into something similar earlier:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l#post21092018

Anyone else run into this and did the pending charges drop off?
How worried should I be about having both of these posting and then needing to dispute/bring undue attention to the charges with my CC issuer?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by vrbaba
7-Eleven manager asked to copy my License if I wanted to purchase anymore at the store saying "security reasons if anyone asked".

I declined.
Report him to 7-Eleven Corporate office AND VISA/MC/AMEX/Discover (whichever one you used). Stay VIGILANT.

Ask for a COPY of a customer's DL is outrageous and should not be tolerated in the least.
Declining the offer doesn't go far enough. Make sure all his higher-ups know his name... in a bad way.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I found waiting at least 24 hrs from whenever the GCs were purchased or activated saves alot of hassles. When I didnt wait ran into the brick wall any time I waited min 24 hrs never had any problems
I think min is 1 hr...or could it be 3 hr...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I've found that purchasing VRs with a Chase or Barclays credit card of almost any stripe may cause a declined transaction no matter the precautions I take. I had not yet used a MP Explorer Plus card for a VR purchase until today. Had made some recent, normal spending purchases on this card, including a $425 purchase at Lowe's a couple of days ago. Went to a 7-11 with a gas island and bought $55 of gas. As is standard, the prompt at the pump requested my zip code, which I entered.

Then, I went into the store and tried to buy one VR with a $500 load. Twice my purchase was declined with the same card that had just paid for the gas at the pump. I then purchased using another credit card that I have regularly bought VRs with previously--no problem.

As soon as I had access to my computer, I checked my emails, and sure enough, there was an email from Chase asking if I had attempted the purchase. I confirmed, and from past experience, that should allow future purchases with my MP card without issue. I've had similar experiences with Barclay cards but not with Amex or Citi. I thought perhaps that if I "primed the pump" with some high-spend purchases (like the one at Lowe's) and then used the card at the same location to make a purchase (the gas pump), I might avoid the fraud warning. No such luck.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I've found that purchasing VRs with a Chase or Barclays credit card of almost any stripe may cause a declined transaction no matter the precautions I take. I had not yet used a MP Explorer Plus card for a VR purchase until today. Had made some recent, normal spending purchases on this card, including a $425 purchase at Lowe's a couple of days ago. Went to a 7-11 with a gas island and bought $55 of gas. As is standard, the prompt at the pump requested my zip code, which I entered.

Then, I went into the store and tried to buy one VR with a $500 load. Twice my purchase was declined with the same card that had just paid for the gas at the pump. I then purchased using another credit card that I have regularly bought VRs with previously--no problem.

As soon as I had access to my computer, I checked my emails, and sure enough, there was an email from Chase asking if I had attempted the purchase. I confirmed, and from past experience, that should allow future purchases with my MP card without issue. I've had similar experiences with Barclay cards but not with Amex or Citi. I thought perhaps that if I "primed the pump" with some high-spend purchases (like the one at Lowe's) and then used the card at the same location to make a purchase (the gas pump), I might avoid the fraud warning. No such luck.
IME with Chase in the past, any purchases at the gas station two times in a row was raised as a flag. Buying $50 of gas then going inside trying to buy other things for more than $40 resulted in decline for me. After confirming everything works fine now.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers

I've found that I can purchase $1k at a single location on all of my Chase cards, including my MP Explorer. As soon as I go to a second location the same day, trouble starts. Even if I do $500 at the first location the second one in the same day is a problem. So, I just do one transaction per day on a card.

I am new with Barclays and haven't pushed it yet. For whatever reason I can do anything with Citi with no problems.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:55 pm

I agree with you that Barclays is a hassle (though now that I've "trained" them I never have any problems) but I have been surprised at how tolerant Chase's fraud systems are. I've been running a ~1500 per month in VRs through my UMPE to hit the $25k more quickly and have not had even one response from them. This month, in addition to that I put $1500 on the Freedom and again, no issues. Honestly I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop as I've been hitting my chase cards hard in anticipation of an upcoming redemption, but haven't had any issues at all.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
I've found that I can purchase $1k at a single location on all of my Chase cards, including my MP Explorer. As soon as I go to a second location the same day, trouble starts. Even if I do $500 at the first location the second one in the same day is a problem. So, I just do one transaction per day on a card.

I am new with Barclays and haven't pushed it yet. For whatever reason I can do anything with Citi with no problems.
I always try to space out my transactions across the entire month, and as I've said I've never had a problem. I never understood why people went and bought $5k on the first day or two of the month. What's the rush? Unless you have an immediate need for the points and your statement is closing shortly, what's the difference?

Also, I try to spread the purchases across multiple issuers. Chase gets the most for now, but Amex, Citi, and Barclay all get 1-2 VRs each.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
I always try to space out my transactions across the entire month, and as I've said I've never had a problem. I never understood why people went and bought $5k on the first day or two of the month. What's the rush? Unless you have an immediate need for the points and your statement is closing shortly, what's the difference?

Also, I try to spread the purchases across multiple issuers. Chase gets the most for now, but Amex, Citi, and Barclay all get 1-2 VRs each.
So nice, spreading the love to all your friends. Especially when you, CF Frost, is known for staying loyal to Amex
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vagrants
I think min is 1 hr...or could it be 3 hr...
Over different days ran into problems after 3 hrs with CGCs and different types of reg GCs. Never had any problem after 24 hrs.Have no idea what the min time is. Im simply gonna wait 24 and then go load or get MOs
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Over different days ran into problems after 3 hrs with CGCs and different types of reg GCs. Never had any problem after 24 hrs.Have no idea what the min time is. Im simply gonna wait 24 and then go load or get MOs
I have spent Vanilla Visa's (from RiteAid and Walgreens)15 mins after I bought them. Metta Bank cards are the ones that I always need to wait on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.