Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Okay, I had been misinformed then. If I do 2x$499 amounts, it would noe trigger a DL scan?

$495/card makes cpm too high.

Correct. 2 x $499 would not trigger a DL scan.

But like Kybosh pointed out before, why leave 99 cents on the table? Since we are maximizing CPM here.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:49 pm

Couldn't buy a bean with CC at my regular CVS today, cashier said it wasn't working and showed me his screen that said "tender not accepted." He's a nice guy and has helped me out before, I have no reason to believe anything other than it is completely blocked for the whole store. I most recently bought a bean there 2 days ago. He said that he hadn't heard of any new policy from the manager. I said aw shucks, bought my snacks, thanked him and left.

On to the next CVS....
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually register is programmed to require a DL scan for anything over $500. I have verified this in two different stores in two different states.

Unless both cashiers were misinformed... which wouldn't be out of the question either.
What is your "verified" method? Actual transaction that the register prompted DL swipe on a single $500 VR? Or being told by the cashier? Sounds to me is the latter.

Have you actually bought 2 VRs totaled to $999.50 to see for yourself?

A single experiment is not going to damage anything, wouldn't you think even as paranoid as you are?

I literally have had a cashier being so surprised that the register has not prompted her to do a DL swipe when it is $998xx in total when she distinctly remembered last time the system prompted her to do so (she remembers my visits as this is one of the only 2 stores carry VRs out of 7 around me.) Then she came to the conclusion that now the system "knows" you after a few purchases. So much for relying on the cashier to tell you what it is.

Nobody has reported a DL swipe is done when buying just $500. Check Flightnurse's posts. S/he probably has bought $5 to $8K a day at $500 a pop.

Everyone has confirmed that $1K requires DL scan.

Dont understand why you would not just simply do a transaction instead of listening to the Cashier.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 28, 2013 at 4:03 pm
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by aradisc
Couldn't buy a bean with CC at my regular CVS today, cashier said it wasn't working and showed me his screen that said "tender not accepted." He's a nice guy and has helped me out before, I have no reason to believe anything other than it is completely blocked for the whole store. I most recently bought a bean there 2 days ago. He said that he hadn't heard of any new policy from the manager. I said aw shucks, bought my snacks, thanked him and left.

On to the next CVS....
Did you try multiple CCs? That happens often when your CC company is turning it down (fraud alert), also occasionally when the card isn't read right.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Did you try multiple CCs? That happens often when your CC company is turning it down (fraud alert), also occasionally when the card isn't read right.
Yeah, I tried another CC. It didn't act like other times when my card has been declined, it was telling him on his end that CC was an invalid way to pay, not that it tried and failed.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I tried another CC. It didn't act like other times when my card has been declined, it was telling him on his end that CC was an invalid way to pay, not that it tried and failed.
This happened to me once 2 weeks ago. The cashier who seemed to be a supervisor told me it wasn't my card when I asked if it was declined by the bank. After several unsuccessful attempts, he pulled out his CVS key card from his pocket and scanned it - presumably to change the cashier ID using that register - and Voila, the transaction went thru as usual.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBOSman

Give it a couple of days and try again at the same store, I can't think of anything else other than it being some random register issue as Happy notes above.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Happy
What is your "verified" method? Actual transaction that the register prompted DL swipe on a single $500 VR? Or being told by the cashier? Sounds to me is the latter.
That. But I wasn't facing the register.
Have you actually bought 2 VRs totaled to $999.50 to see for yourself?
Nope. Probably should next time.

A single experiment is not going to damage anything, wouldn't you think even as paranoid as you are?
Again, agreed. I'll try next time.

Dont understand why you would not just simply do a transaction instead of listening to the Cashier.
Why are you so upset? I wasn't making a big deal here. Probably will follow @ORDs suggestion next time.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are you so upset? I wasn't making a big deal here. Probably will follow @ORDs suggestion next time.
I am not upset at all. I am more like being curious why people cannot deduce by literally pages of posts on the DL swipe topic to come to a conclusion. Better yet, go out and test it themselves to find out the ultimate truth.

One ought to realize by now, that geographic areas make a difference sometimes very big difference! Within the same geographic area, literally 2 miles aprat, 2 CVS stores could have completely different policies as to one takes CC the other cash only - happens in my town. This type of oddity at first often drive people nuts but after a full year since VRs available at CVS, wouldn't people finally come to term with such the nuisance? You go with the most prevailing reported data points and then experiment this in your area thru trial and error, eventually find out what works and what doesn't in your own area.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA CX AC
I am not upset at all. I am more like being curious why people cannot deduce by literally pages of posts on the DL swipe topic to come to a conclusion. Better yet, go out and test it themselves to find out the ultimate truth.

One ought to realize by now, that geographic areas make a difference sometimes very big difference! Within the same geographic area, literally 2 miles aprat, 2 CVS stores could have completely different policies as to one takes CC the other cash only - happens in my town. This type of oddity at first often drive people nuts but after a full year since VRs available at CVS, wouldn't people finally come to term with such the nuisance? You go with the most prevailing reported data points and then experiment this in your area thru trial and error, eventually find out what works and what doesn't in your own area.
I have found "all of the above" at my area stores. What I mean is that one store says they 'can't accept cc's, another's says one vr only, one says 5k is ok, one say 1k is the limit, some don't stock them, some keep them behind the counter and won't sell them......
This used to drive me nuts! I'd try and tell the cashier they Re wrong but they don't budge. Now, I just move on to the next location. If I can't get any, well I'll just have to wait. BTW, this is SO much easier than dealing with gc's from OD and OM then cashing out at the malfunctioning ATM at wm..........
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
This can happen and I believe it is a network communication error. In the process there are at least 3 network connections that have to be made (probably more). The 1st is to confirm the scanned VR is 'valid', the 2nd is to the CVS Db for the DL record, the 3rd is when you pay, which is to the card processor, the 4th is to Incomm to activate the card. Easy for any one to go wrong. And I think a 5th happens to confirm the purchase against the DL db record.

If it does happen to you, don't use the same CC for the 2nd attempt as this will trigger a fraud block (from CVS's POS, not the CC company) for attempting to use the same card with too many transactions.

Where you get really screwed is if it fails after it has checked your DL as any further attempt will run up against the $5k daily limit against that DL, even though the transaction didn't close properly. If you wait a while it will reset and you can buy within the same 24hr time window.

Basically - don't panic and realize that things screw up sometime and it's just a small price to pay in this game.

Originally Posted by jjd477
Today, went to different store, tried to buy 4k in one transaction, cards were scanned as well as DL and nothing. Register sat there at least 1 1/2 mins and then she showed me the display and the register was rejecting each vr! Ah, ok let's try it with 3 vr's. After delay, it's rejected. Ah, let's try two now, well that gets processed and tthen my card is declined. It was a ua card. Not wanting to leave empty handed I politely asked if I could try again for 2 vr's with my ink card. Scanned cards, DL, and then done. Ink card worked no problem.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by BenH
This is suburbs of Chicago so this might be more proof to what others have stated of some shortage in mid-west distribution.
Also Chgo suburban, but probably a different area than you are. In my area all the CVS's went dry for a week about two or three weeks ago. Then my first choice store got in a batch of at least 50 cards, so I haven't checked the other 5 area stores; I don't know whether they restocked too.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjd477
I have found "all of the above" at my area stores. What I mean is that one store says they 'can't accept cc's, another's says one vr only, one says 5k is ok, one say 1k is the limit, some don't stock them, some keep them behind the counter and won't sell them......
This used to drive me nuts! I'd try and tell the cashier they Re wrong but they don't budge. Now, I just move on to the next location. If I can't get any, well I'll just have to wait. BTW, this is SO much easier than dealing with gc's from OD and OM then cashing out at the malfunctioning ATM at wm..........
Oh, believe me, I have experienced all the scenarios described by you, plus a few more. One store the cashier found 2 stacks still in wrap behind the counter in the bin for all sorts of GCs when I asked could she please check that if there were any behind the counter. Another store the cashier saw the new memo which was placed right next to the old $1K per day memo, then asked the supervisor to clarify - after the supervisor read thru both, she concluded it meant $10K per day... Yeah right. Needless to say I have my better judgment and not to try.

I used to mildly protest when the store differs from the norm. Pretty soon I realize that go with the flow is much easier - one just need to weed out the non-starters and stay with the friendly ones. 75% of the stores in my immediate area dont even carry the VR but generally carry the OneVanilla so if I dont feel like to drive further I go with the OneVanilla. Basically there are only 2 stores carry the goods that are within 5 miles drive so the cashiers and the supervisors/managers remember us (who come once a week for this stuff.)
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:42 pm

Okay GUYS. I know you're mad that I hid all of the VRs, but letting 50 ducks loose in CVS is not the appropriate response!

http://www.newsflare.com/video/7766/...t-night-at-cvs
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by busymike
Okay GUYS. I know you're mad that I hid all of the VRs, but letting 50 ducks loose in CVS is not the appropriate response!
glad they're finally quacking down on high bills

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.