Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by AveApostle
glad they're finally quacking down on high bills
oh, that was fowl
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: AA CX AC
Originally Posted by rdover1
This can happen and I believe it is a network communication error. In the process there are at least 3 network connections that have to be made (probably more). The 1st is to confirm the scanned VR is 'valid', the 2nd is to the CVS Db for the DL record, the 3rd is when you pay, which is to the card processor, the 4th is to Incomm to activate the card. Easy for any one to go wrong. And I think a 5th happens to confirm the purchase against the DL db record.

If it does happen to you, don't use the same CC for the 2nd attempt as this will trigger a fraud block (from CVS's POS, not the CC company) for attempting to use the same card with too many transactions.

Where you get really screwed is if it fails after it has checked your DL as any further attempt will run up against the $5k daily limit against that DL, even though the transaction didn't close properly. If you wait a while it will reset and you can buy within the same 24hr time window.

Basically - don't panic and realize that things screw up sometime and it's just a small price to pay in this game.
Oh yes, I hit the 5k limit-cashier showed me the screen-even though it was declined. Live and learn. Plan to get more today so I can max out my bb cards for Oct.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by jjd477
Oh yes, I hit the 5k limit-cashier showed me the screen-even though it was declined. Live and learn. Plan to get more today so I can max out my bb cards for Oct.
What's taking you so long?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkerr
I myself often wait till the last 10 days to start using our BB slots which are reserved in case other alternatives not working. I just finish the last $1K load on Saturday. Not everyone rushes out to load up the BB on the first 5 days.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Happy
I myself often wait till the last 10 days to start using our BB slots which are reserved in case other alternatives not working. I just finish the last $1K load on Saturday. Not everyone rushes out to load up the BB on the first 5 days.

I'll actually buy my "next batch" near the end of the month buying Oct 29 for Nov 1 load) so I can be ready to load when the calendar turns. That way if my store is out I'll have plenty of time to wait for new inventory.

Last edited by pkerr; Oct 29, 2013 at 1:02 pm
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'll actually buy me "next batch" near the end of the month buying Oct 29 for Nov 1 load) so I can be ready to load when the calendar turns. That way if my store is out I'll have plenty of time to wait for new inventory.
This is a smart move. I'm going to start buying them as soon as statements cut for cards that I use to buy them with.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA CX AC

Well, I've been battling the flu for a week now. I can get a note from my doctor if needed ! BTW I have more than 1 bb acct,he-he.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll actually buy me "next batch" near the end of the month buying Oct 29 for Nov 1 load) so I can be ready to load when the calendar turns. That way if my store is out I'll have plenty of time to wait for new inventory.
Some of us do not use a single method to load our BBs. Also BB is not the only method used to unload, as the amount involved could far exceed BB's capacity when activities are in need.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Had something interesting happen today. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Today at 11 AM, I purchased $4k in OVGCs from a CVS on one side of town. I went to dinner at a restaurant that happened to be next door to a CVS on the complete opposite side of town. I have never before even walked in the doors of this CVS, whether for MS purposes or just to buy some gum. I attempted to purchase $2k of VRs (the manager on duty said only $2k is allowed in VRs per day at that store).

After scanning the third VR, the register stopped the transaction and spat out a receipt saying
The Prepaid Card or Phone sale cannot be authorized.

Daily limit of $5,000 reached. You may continue purchasing prepaid cards/phones tomorrow.

Please contact CVS/pharmacy Customer Relations at 1-800 SHOP CVS if you have any questions.
I bought $1k of VRs and then left. On my way home I stopped at another CVS and bought another $1k of VRs (with DL scan).

Apparently the store I purchase $4k at this morning and this store I attempted to purchase $2k at tonight have linked up their systems.

Anyone seen this before?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by NewNole2001

Anyone seen this before?
Yep, it is a limit across all CVS stores, not just an individual store. Wouldn't call it interesting anymore, it seems to be SOP for CVS. And just like with aliens, you are not alone .
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yep, it is a limit across all CVS stores, not just an individual store. Wouldn't call it interesting anymore, it seems to be SOP for CVS. And just like with aliens, you are not alone .
But I was able to buy with a DL swipe twenty minutes later, and I definitely hadn't rolled out of the $4k purchase from 11AM at that point. But I learned something, and that's good.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'll actually buy my "next batch" near the end of the month buying Oct 29 for Nov 1 load) so I can be ready to load when the calendar turns. That way if my store is out I'll have plenty of time to wait for new inventory.
Even though I haven't had problems finding beans, I'm starting to do this myself, if I happen to be driving by a CVS, I'll go in and buy some so I can start for the following month.. So far I have about 7K worth.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Oh, believe me, I have experienced all the scenarios described by you, plus a few more. One store the cashier found 2 stacks still in wrap behind the counter in the bin for all sorts of GCs when I asked could she please check that if there were any behind the counter. Another store the cashier saw the new memo which was placed right next to the old $1K per day memo, then asked the supervisor to clarify - after the supervisor read thru both, she concluded it meant $10K per day... Yeah right. Needless to say I have my better judgment and not to try.

I used to mildly protest when the store differs from the norm. Pretty soon I realize that go with the flow is much easier - one just need to weed out the non-starters and stay with the friendly ones. 75% of the stores in my immediate area dont even carry the VR but generally carry the OneVanilla so if I dont feel like to drive further I go with the OneVanilla. Basically there are only 2 stores carry the goods that are within 5 miles drive so the cashiers and the supervisors/managers remember us (who come once a week for this stuff.)
I should probably do this, but today, at the CVS nearest to my house, I went in and he gave me the 1k speech. I politely told him he was wrong, and he was adamant he was right. I told him that I purchase these a couple times a month for my job and I've actually been told by a manager that a new memo came out and the limit was 5k. He was having none of it. He called the nearest store and the nearest store agreed with him and said the same policy.

I asked him to try it, as it would require a license scan and it would let the purchase go through. He wouldn't do it. I asked if I could have the phone number for his district manager so I could call him and talk to him, and have the district manager educate him on the new storewide policies. He started being very defensive and would not let me have the number. I told him again I guarantee he is wrong, and he should be held accountable to his boss for not knowing his only policies. He took out his cell phone and called (I assume) the district manager. He went back to his office. 15 minutes later, he came out and profusely apologized and said I was right and he doesn't know how he missed it.

The reason I mention this to bring it up - if there's a regular place that's convenient for you, I think it's almost necessary to educate them and have them educate their employees to make our life easier. As part of his mea culpa - I told him I would like him (it was the store manager - name on the door) to share with his employees this policy and train them to where it is not a problem again - and he said he would.

I understand some personalities don't handle this well, and my wife says people have a hard time telling me no because I look scary if you don't know me, and I'm 6'5 with long hair - but I definitely value not letting it roll by - especially when they are clearly wrong. If he wants to have his own store policy, that's fine, but don't tell me what corporate policy is incorrectly. Especially when I've read the memo on this thread.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by horseymen

I understand some personalities don't handle this well, and my wife says people have a hard time telling me no because I look scary if you don't know me, and I'm 6'5 with long hair - but I definitely value not letting it roll by - especially when they are clearly wrong. If he wants to have his own store policy, that's fine, but don't tell me what corporate policy is incorrectly. Especially when I've read the memo on this thread.
I have an issue here, we are not employee's of CVS, and to go in and tell an Employee they are wrong, just isn't right (even if we know the correct policy.) Reverse this, some one comes into your work and tells YOU, you do not know your own corp policy, how would you feel? Remember that each CVS is ran how the Manager wants it, this has been stated a couple of time here, so Corp policy might be 5K, but the manager will only allow 1K. I personally think that some people get too aggressive here, just smile and while you are buying your 1K of beans strike up a conversation with the clerk and see if they will lighten up some..
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I have an issue here, we are not employee's of CVS, and to go in and tell an Employee they are wrong, just isn't right (even if we know the correct policy.) Reverse this, some one comes into your work and tells YOU, you do not know your own corp policy, how would you feel? Remember that each CVS is ran how the Manager wants it, this has been stated a couple of time here, so Corp policy might be 5K, but the manager will only allow 1K. I personally think that some people get too aggressive here, just smile and while you are buying your 1K of beans strike up a conversation with the clerk and see if they will lighten up some..
If I'm wrong, then I don't mind someone telling me I'm wrong. If he would have said it's his own store policy, that's one thing - but he was falling back on corporate policy - and he was wrong. I completely support his right to have his own policy, but he continually said corporate wouldn't let it happen and he was following corporate policy.

And I've been wrong at my job! And I've apologized when I realized I was wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.