Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non Pharmacy Bean Locations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:01 pm

It's Every Man/Woman for Him/Herself

Originally Posted by 98Mike
I entered 3 Baltimore area CVS yesterday. 2 no longer with cards, they were stacked last week.

Unfortunately, that's been happening a lot of places lately -- people acting like a swarm of freaking locusts....

That makes me regret my past slow, careful approach (buying just enough VRs to load BB one month at a time). It's starting to feel like early February, when word started spreading that $500 GCs at OD was about to end. I think I'm going to just start maxing out on VRs, and hoard as many as I can find/buy for as many months as they will last.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by hawkandhoo
Unfortunately, that's been happening a lot of places lately -- people acting like a swarm of freaking locusts....

That makes me regret my past slow, careful approach (buying just enough VRs to load BB one month at a time). It's starting to feel like early February, when word started spreading that $500 GCs at OD was about to end. I think I'm going to just start maxing out on VRs, and hoard as many as I can find/buy for as many months as they will last.
I myself have noticed a feast or famine situation. I can go for weeks with nary a VR in site. Then lo and behold, a cornucopia of VR's to feast upon for a few weeks. Everytime VR's get low the doomsdayers come out of hiding. Wait patiently for them to restock. The wheels of commerce often turn slowly.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:42 pm

This may sound insane, but.....

I have had a gas station chain I have been nailing beans on over the last year, or so. (I use gasguru's technique as official policy is cash, but most don't know and registers allow it.)

When a station I am doing well at runs low, I have called the 1-800 number for incomm (usually on the pegs) and told them store # blank at address blank is running low and needs more cards. I don't lie, and just state the facts. I've done it twice once directly on the phone, and the other time was after hours and I left a message. I really seems to work for me, but admit this is extreme and I'd recommend the "leave a message" approach after hours.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan

I have had a gas station chain I have been nailing beans on over the last year, or so. (I use gasguru's technique as official policy is cash, but most don't know and registers allow it.)

When a station I am doing well at runs low, I have called the 1-800 number for incomm (usually on the pegs) and told them store # blank at address blank is running low and needs more cards. I don't lie, and just state the facts. I've done it twice once directly on the phone, and the other time was after hours and I left a message. I really seems to work for me, but admit this is extreme and I'd recommend the "leave a message" approach after hours.
Genius and ballsy.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Insane? I think not.
More like...Brilliant!

Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by vodkashine
Insane? I think not.
More like...Brilliant!
It was like, hey, what was the alternative? Pay my mortgage out of a bank instead of credit card?

You would have done the same if in my shoes. I am no hero.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This may sound insane, but..... [snip]
Crazy .... like a fox!

Now if only I could find a nearby gas station that actually sells these VRs!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:59 pm

"Hi...this is California calling..."
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
"Hi...this is California calling..."
and you want your shrimp back?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:56 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat

Brilliant.

Can you share what you mean by "gasguru's technique"?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by rizwank
Brilliant.

Can you share what you mean by "gasguru's technique"?
Go back a couple pages; just how I work with clerks.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I used to try to talk the cashier into trying to put it though, but nowadays I just say oh, sorry, I didn't realize...and walk out. My experience has been that I'm rarely successful in overiding their initial decision. If the cashier is grumpy or frazzled, I definitely give up straight away. If the cashier seems like he/she is simply uncertain, then I usecd to try to see if they would put it through. But then I ran the risk of having them call over a manager. And once the manager is involved, I run the risk of them laying down some store-wide policy that makes it all cash only. These days, I'd rather just hope I stumble onto the cashier that will let me pay with a credit card without a fuss, and then remember them for next time. If I see them on duty, I buy. If I see one that has denied me before, I just turn around and leave. If I see one that I haven't interacted with yet, I'll give it a try. If they tell me cash only, I play dumb and just give up immediately.
Good policy. Arguing is going to result in someone telling their manager and then the manager posting a sign at the register. Better to take the path of least resistance. Too bad my only bean location is a truckstop 20 minute out of my way. Makes it a big disappointment if an unfriendly cashier is working. Luckily turnover in these places is high...
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by hawkandhoo

I second your opinion. Of course if you tell the truth that you are going to max out on VRs, some people will go ballistic on this forum.

If most people only purchased VRs for min spending requirements when opening CC bonus promos, the VRs would definitely last longer. Many are buying up VRs to accumulate points, especially when their are 5x type promos.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:41 am

This will tail off greatly once the 5X points ends. 0.78 cpp is not great enough to make it my primary vehicle. TO meet spend, absolutely, but after that I tail off.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold

I have had a gas station chain I have been nailing beans on over the last year, or so.
Any hints as to the chain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.