Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non Pharmacy Bean Locations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jm38750n
You forgot to mention if it's the Business version, add 7k and you've got yourself SPG Gold.
Biz or personal, $30K in a year gets you SPG Gold.

Too bad SPG Gold is virtually worthless. It's worth about the price of wifi, plus maybe a bit for the extra points.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by josephstern
Biz or personal, $30K in a year gets you SPG Gold.

Too bad SPG Gold is virtually worthless. It's worth about the price of wifi, plus maybe a bit for the extra points.
And easier to just "get" with the Amex Platinum.

It's also useful for Delta elites ... Crossover Rewards means you get a Starpoint for each $ you spend on DL.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jm38750n
You forgot to mention if it's the Business version, add 7k and you've got yourself SPG Gold.

Which is kinda useless. With the hilton deval and sakcing of the pharmacy bonus accumulating hilton makes no sense to me. I am thinking cashback with the barclays 2.2% on all travel which nets miles.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Which is kinda useless. With the hilton deval and sakcing of the pharmacy bonus accumulating hilton makes no sense to me. I am thinking cashback with the barclays 2.2% on all travel which nets miles.
OK - so SPG isn't Hilton. Maybe that helps a bit.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
How are Barclays over all? As big a pain in the backside as Amex can be with the FRs etc?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:45 am

First off, thanks to all who post and help here.

I'm relatively new to the game (~8 months) so I'm still working big churns and min spend. I find it helpful, since there are many geographic differences, when folks include their location in their profile - I can make some rough guesses if successes/failures might apply in my locale.

FWIW, our favorite drug store here is inconsistent. Some never have VR (slots are always empty), some say cash only (the one across from JU) and some take CC. I've never tried to purchase more than two at a time, so I haven't run into the $1K max day/trans issue.

We have a few Valero gas stations - may have to check those out.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arsenalman
How are Barclays over all? As big a pain in the backside as Amex can be with the FRs etc?
I recently got the card last December and so far so good. But have churned barclay's several times and have had very generous experience with them including multiple cc's of the same mile/point issuer. Seems like the best cashback out there and probably the way to go with the bonus category cutbacks and recent devaluations which are bound to occur again and again.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:26 pm

I was at Office Depot today and low and behold, VANILLA RELOADS! I knew they wouldn't work but figured I'd get denied just in case there was a glitch. No dice as expected. Made my trip worth it haha.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by farwest101
Quick answer is no. Hiltonpesos were bad enough before the recent devaluation. But at 1x, they are a complete joke. Hilton are now worth 0.3 cpm imo, so using VR at CVS at only 1x (cost of ~0.8 cpm), you are paying ~2.5x what they are worth. Come May, forget about that Hilton Amex for VR purchases.
Just WHAT are you talking about? You receive ***3*** HHonors Bonus Points (***not 1***) for each dollar of ALL eligible purchases, and that includes drugstores after the May 1 change in terms. And even with the devaluation, HH points are still worth 0.4 cents each (not 0.3 cents each). They had been worth 0.5 cents each. So you are only paying 67% of what the points are worth, NOT 250% as you claim.

That said, you are still MUCH better off using the Starwood Amex to buy VR cards (as Starpoints are worth 2.5 cents each) or loading your BB at Walmart with a SunTrust Delta SkyMiles debit card - at NO cost whatsoever, if you already shop at Walmart.

Last edited by DCBob; Mar 23, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by andycat
First off, thanks to all who post and help here.

I'm relatively new to the game (~8 months) so I'm still working big churns and min spend. I find it helpful, since there are many geographic differences, when folks include their location in their profile - I can make some rough guesses if successes/failures might apply in my locale.

FWIW, our favorite drug store here is inconsistent. Some never have VR (slots are always empty), some say cash only (the one across from JU) and some take CC. I've never tried to purchase more than two at a time, so I haven't run into the $1K max day/trans issue.

We have a few Valero gas stations - may have to check those out.
Have had no issues on the westside with availability or paying with CC. There are flash food locations here also . But i have had no luck at any of them. If you don't mind let me know if you have any luck at any Valero's
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Im still on 3 because the damn Bay Area, CA doesn't seem to have any for the month.

Originally Posted by datch
Counted mine today 68
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by vfdfs2
Im still on 3 because the damn Bay Area, CA doesn't seem to have any for the month.
Look Frequently.. Bean o plenty in the Bay Area..
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Look Frequently.. Bean o plenty in the Bay Area..
Doesn't seem to be the case in Sunnyvale/Cupertino. Where are you successful?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Doesn't seem to be the case in Sunnyvale/Cupertino. Where are you successful?
East Bay...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Stoughton
This is not new nor a redesign

Some stores (Dollar stores typically) let you reload at the register instead of selling the actual card.

If you read back far enough, you'll see lots of bashing of clerks at these stores by illinformed and poorly raised FT'ers who immediately assumed it was the clerks fault that they couldn't "load" one of these blanks and walk out with it.
I've seen these atypical beans as well. The register stated that it needed a 16 digit card. Has anyone been able to get these beans where they need to go? PM me if so. I have several locations that I can get these beens near my residence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.