$1000 every rolling 30 days
$6000 every rolling 12 months

Withdraw limits:
1 free withdrawal per calendar month
Print Wikipost

AmEx Prepaid Campus Edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
If you live in Ohio or one of the surrounding states (at least PA and IN, I think), Turkey Hill gas stations have true fee-free ATMs. There are two within a mile of the University where I work/teach, so it's pretty easy for me to hit the B&N campus bookstore and then the Turkey Hill ATM.
Yes, Turkey Hill (operated by PNC bank) is free. I used them in OH.

Also, in WI, IL, Woodmans is free up to $400.

With free ATM, this is the only way to make this card worthwhile.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:16 pm

I'm having problem reloading the card in my campus!
I haven't reached the monthly/annual limit on the card but my campus BN can't reload any of my two cards anymore. It kept saying the card is invalid!!!
I was reloading them without any issue for 2-3 months. Any idea!?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by maysam
I'm having problem reloading the card in my campus!
I haven't reached the monthly/annual limit on the card but my campus BN can't reload any of my two cards anymore. It kept saying the card is invalid!!!
I was reloading them without any issue for 2-3 months. Any idea!?
I had the same thing happen to me, and once I checked, you can only do two loads ($1,000) per rolling 30 days, so that was my issue.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I had the same thing happen to me, and once I checked, you can only do two loads ($1,000) per rolling 30 days, so that was my issue.
It can't be the same issue since it's been almost 2 months I have this invalid card issue. I know about the limit. thanks anyway!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:05 pm

I got this response from my local Barnes and Noble store when they ran out of inventory a couple weeks back.

"I received word from Home Office that Barnes & Noble College will not be
moving forward with the Amex reloadable gift cards. All backorders have
been cancelled and the home office is unable to transfer any cards to us.

We appreciate your business. If you are still interested in purchasing
cards going forward, I would reach out to AMEX for a list of retailers
that will be carrying that card."

Is anyone else having this problem? This could kill this deal.

Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:16 pm
XP1

Originally Posted by alhollis21
I got this response from my local Barnes and Noble store when they ran out of inventory a couple weeks back.

"I received word from Home Office that Barnes & Noble College will not be
moving forward with the Amex reloadable gift cards. All backorders have
been cancelled and the home office is unable to transfer any cards to us.

We appreciate your business. If you are still interested in purchasing
cards going forward, I would reach out to AMEX for a list of retailers
that will be carrying that card."

Is anyone else having this problem? This could kill this deal.

Thanks.
Why do you need inventory of temporary cards? Have you been buying and unloading temporary cards?

Don't you have a permanent card to use instead?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by XP1
Why do you need inventory of temporary cards? Have you been buying and unloading temporary cards?

Don't you have a permanent card to use instead?
Seriously. Unless you were late to the game and were trying to get some now. Otherwise you should have registered some perm cards to family members since the registration is done all online. I've got 4 perm cards registered and all I do is load $400 to each, once a month. Thats 8,000 TYPs for $15.80 a month since the first ATM unload is free. Not bad if you ask me.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ILGfly
Seriously. Unless you were late to the game and were trying to get some now. Otherwise you should have registered some perm cards to family members since the registration is done all online. I've got 4 perm cards registered and all I do is load $400 to each, once a month. Thats 8,000 TYPs for $15.80 a month since the first ATM unload is free. Not bad if you ask me.
Why not do $500 each and skip the 5th month load (but still get the $400 withdrawal)? That's 10,000 TYP for $12.64/month.

On a separate note, are you all actually charged $3.95 for load? When I ring up at my local campus B&N, the item "description" says 395 reload fee, but it charges $4.95. I'm not complaining because most of the time I'm lucky I have a cashier that can figure out how to do it (luckily I've got a few used to it now), but I wouldn't mind saving $1 per load.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:26 am

I was able to get one for myself a couple of months ago, this product is a pita since at my local store, cashiers dont know how to load it. Just last week I tried to register a card for a family member, it failed on line, then called and the Indian CS could not help, said product was closed for new registrations. Escalated to Supervisor, nothing, HUCA, nothing.
They were selling SERVE really hard, can't do it since they have REDCARD, so no go.
Cashed out the temp card, end of story.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau
Why not do $500 each and skip the 5th month load (but still get the $400 withdrawal)? That's 10,000 TYP for $12.64/month.

On a separate note, are you all actually charged $3.95 for load? When I ring up at my local campus B&N, the item "description" says 395 reload fee, but it charges $4.95. I'm not complaining because most of the time I'm lucky I have a cashier that can figure out how to do it (luckily I've got a few used to it now), but I wouldn't mind saving $1 per load.
I guess because I'd just prefer to not float the $100/month per card until I have $400 saved. I can load all 4 cards in one B&N trip, cash them all out at a fee free ATM across the street and go down the street to Kmart and BP the $1600 in cash. It all takes less than 30 minutes and my balance is zero the next day so there's no accounting to keep track of. I'm not big in to TYPs so I don't mind forgoing the additional TYPs each month. I pretty much only use them to pay for Amazon purchases.

Yes, I am only getting charged the $3.95. I wonder why you're getting charged more?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:17 am
XP1

Originally Posted by ILGfly
I guess because I'd just prefer to not float the $100/month per card until I have $400 saved. I can load all 4 cards in one B&N trip, cash them all out at a fee free ATM across the street and go down the street to Kmart and BP the $1600 in cash. It all takes less than 30 minutes and my balance is zero the next day so there's no accounting to keep track of. I'm not big in to TYPs so I don't mind forgoing the additional TYPs each month. I pretty much only use them to pay for Amazon purchases.

Yes, I am only getting charged the $3.95. I wonder why you're getting charged more?
TYP conversion to Amazon is pretty bad. At least, you should be getting Best Buy or Sears gift card and then converting that into Amazon gift card 1:1.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by XP1
TYP conversion to Amazon is pretty bad. At least, you should be getting Best Buy or Sears gift card and then converting that into Amazon gift card 1:1.
Yeah, I know the conversation rate isn't great either (TYPs are worth 0.8 cents on Amazon) but as I stated before, this whole process takes me less than 30 minutes one time a month. Converting to another stores GCs and then having to go to that store (neither Sears or Best Buy are anywhere near by me) and buy an Amazon GC is just not worth my time vs. the other MS tasks I need to get done each month, not to mention spending time with friends/family.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:15 pm

Looks like this card will soon become officially dead as an effective MS tool for the Citi Forward and BarclayCard Sallie Mae Mastercard. Would love it if AMEX Serve would take its place as a loadable prepaid card at the B&N Bookstore, but I'm not holding my breath!

Got this in my e-mail today:

Hello XXXX,

We are writing to inform you of a change to the terms and conditions of your American Express® Campus Edition Prepaid Card Account. Please review the change below.

o Beginning February 1, 2015, you will no longer be able to purchase Green Dot® MoneyPak® to load cash onto your Card.

o Beginning March 1, 2015, you will no longer be able to load funds onto your Card at the register at participating campus bookstores.

You can still add money to your account in other convenient ways including Direct Deposit and linking an existing checking account or savings account. Click here to learn more.

In addition to this change, we have made other changes to the Card Member Agreement. To view the current Card Member Agreement, click here.

Thanks,

The American Express® Campus Edition Prepaid Card Team
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA
Just got the same email, its a sad day, my Sallie Mae will miss this opportunity.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I never was able to get my local campus bookstore to do it anyway. I was planning to go try next week again, though. I might anyway, though, and see if I can get 3 months out of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.