Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Vanilla Reload activation issues including "new" website.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vanilla Reload activation issues including "new" website.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FrAAmer
Other than the person doing it is pond scum?

That it is wrong?

That the same person would probably also see nothing wrong with buying a diamond ring or bracelet online at Costco.com with a Visa card and returning it at a Costco store and getting a cash refund because the stores have no way to credit back to a Visa card - and then boast about it?

How about grabbing a few bags of chips and a six-pack, walking out with them and paying for them at a CVS as well? Don't try to tell me it is any different.
Well said Sir!!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Krdog88
I am not advocating this, but just posing a question. I cannot find any Vanilla Reloads in my area unless at Walgreens (Cash Only). What if someone were to walk out with two unloaded cards there and take them to CVS to have them load via credit card? Thoughts??
It won't work. The cards are not the same (WG's are magstripe, CVS are barcode) and you'll find yourself having to explain to the clerk at CVS why you'r trying to purchase a product that they don't sell.

On top of that, it's theft.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Stoughton
It won't work. The cards are not the same (WG's are magstripe, CVS are barcode) and you'll find yourself having to explain to the clerk at CVS why you'r trying to purchase a product that they don't sell.

On top of that, it's theft.
+1. It simply amazes me that some FT members have absolutely no moral compass and think nothing of stealing to meet their points agenda. These cards are accountable inventory and definitely cost the store a small amount for each unactivated card. But even if they were free to the store, it's still theft. And as far the poster who said "I'm not advocating this, just posing the question," why even ask then?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by DCBob
+1. It simply amazes me that some FT members have absolutely no....
......the poster who said "(insert additional quotes here)," why even ask then?
Let's not short-change the now overly redundant and vastly increased amount of stupid and idiotic questions posed since this was promoted to the masses by the credit card affiliates.

Originally Posted by DCBob
And as far the poster who said "I'm not advocating this, just posing the question," why even ask then?
Because people like MMS make the suggestion to everyone that its cool to use falsified identification to to jump priority security lines. OP is likely confused if morality somehow is okay to skip FFP participants. Likely he needs some circles and arrows to know if he should actually live morally or outside of that.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcharles
Let's not short-change the now overly redundant and vastly increased amount of stupid and idiotic questions posed since this was promoted to the masses by the credit card affiliates.

Because people like MMS make the suggestion to everyone that its cool to use falsified identification to to jump priority security lines. OP is likely confused if morality somehow is okay to skip FFP participants. Likely he needs some circles and arrows to know if he should actually live morally or outside of that.
What is even more bothersome is, such idea gets applause in the bloggers circle - the famous 5x everything guy thought it was a genius idea because it did not "hurt" others other than delay a few minutes of those rightful users... (and make an excuse that by this behavior he is shortening the line of mere mortals...)

Where does one draw the line? It is such a dangerous slippery slope some of these folks are advocating... and to find excuses to justify such behavior...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Here's a blogger with a moral compass....or at least his wife has one . Kudos for having the cojones to post this topic on his blog.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...wing-the-line/
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Krdog88
I am not advocating this, but just posing a question. I cannot find any Vanilla Reloads in my area unless at Walgreens (Cash Only). What if someone were to walk out with two unloaded cards there and take them to CVS to have them load via credit card? Thoughts??
That would likely be considered stealing as you took something of value from a store without paying for it.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:54 am

i went to 2 Walgreen and one had VR, which required cash. the cash register's computer system would not allow credit cards, and it could not be bypassed. is it strictly the same policy for all Walgreens?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by FrAAmer
buying a diamond ring or bracelet online at Costco.com with a Visa card and returning it at a Costco store and getting a cash refund because the stores have no way to credit back to a Visa card
awesome. gonna try that right now
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
i went to 2 Walgreen and one had VR, which required cash. the cash register's computer system would not allow credit cards, and it could not be bypassed. is it strictly the same policy for all Walgreens?
Total crap shoot. Some do, some don't. Don't waste everyone's time (yours and theirs) arguing if it comes up as 'cash only', just move on and try the next one.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:16 pm

All WGs in NYC.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:14 pm

not all walgreens i had luck buying 2 but had to be rung up separately.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It's not legal to do what the person is advocating.
If something is legal but immoral I would still be in favor of it.
(Example-In HK mortgage interest is deductible, so you buy a property only to invest the money and take off the interest, but your investment return is at 100% as there is no capital gains tax there. This drives up home prices and houses are very expensive, so buying a house for most people in HK is out of the question.)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It's not legal to do what the person is advocating.
If something is legal but immoral I would still be in favor of it.
(Example-In HK mortgage interest is deductible, so you buy a property only to invest the money and take off the interest, but your investment return is at 100% as there is no capital gains tax there. This drives up home prices and houses are very expensive, so buying a house for most people in HK is out of the question.)
Taking something that does not belong to you is stealing, period... I don't follow your analogy in regards to stealing....
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz Prez's Circle
At a CVS in Oahu while on vacation, I purchased two VRs (VR #1 and VR #2) on Credit Card A and two more VRs (VR #3 and VR #4) on Credit Card B.

VR #1 had errored out during the cashier's attempted activation, so I could not purchase VR #1 (and I did not bother replacing it with another VR). So I only ended up purchasing VR #2, #3 and #4. I later tried to activate #3 and #4, but only #3 worked. #4 didn't. I first tried to figure out what happened on my own, and I think I did, after studying the receipts... seems that the cashier somehow activated VR #1, which had errored out, instead of VR #4 (which I have and got Error 4002 when I tried to activate).

So, I have a non-activated VR #4, instead of the VR #1 that the cashier mistakenly activated. I'm hoping that VR #1 is still sitting in the store, but even if it is, I'm NOT excited to have to rectify this... Plus, I'm really far away now!

Hopefully, the store will rectify this and it doesn't come to correspondence with corporate and/or needing to dispute with the CC company. We shall see...

Main takeaway/advice for you all:
When you purchase multiple cards, especially if a card errored out during the cashier's attempted activation, make sure you check the receipt against the last 4 digits of each card's serial #. Had I done so, I could have avoided this upcoming hassle, starting with a phone call in a few hours when CVS opens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.