Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Vanilla Reload activation issues including "new" website.

Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold

Not sure if this is the right area (mods please move if not), but looking for some insight into a Vanilla Reload issue that I'm having with my father in-law:

• Father in-law bought 2 x $500 from Walgreens last weekend on his Chase Southwest card to help meet minimum spend (2 separate transactions)
  • He got his Bluebird card in the mail today and activated it
  • When trying to load both VRs to his Bluebird account, only one card worked
  • The second card gave an error of 'Card is Deactivated (4002)'
  • Called the Vanilla Reload CSR line and she said the card was never activated and to go back and talk to Walgreens to resolve the issue

I'm not entirely postive, but I believe he was charged for both cards. He is in process of verifying with Chase.

Say worse comes to worst, is Walgreens on the hook to refund the $500? Or would he be liable? Has anyone had any experience in a situation like this?

I realize I should have checked the cards immediately after leaving the store, but I've bought close to 20 cards and never had an issue.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:18 pm

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago.
What had happened was that I had bought 2 cards to the register. Gotten 1 activated and decided not to get a second one.
When I walked out of the store, I went with the wrong card. Got home and got 4002 on trying to load.
Went back to the Walgreen. Store clerk was super helpful and even offered to let me scratch all cards they had in stock to figure out which one was mine. Was also told they had a bunch of cards locked in the managers office which I could check the next day. I declined scratching all they had and went back the next day. The manager had found mine (from the marks left by the swipe on the terminal).

Pretty sure they can't do anything more than that (let you scratch all cards, if at all). So you would be liable.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by stalker
What had happened was that I had bought 2 cards to the register. Gotten 1 activated and decided not to get a second one.
When I walked out of the store, I went with the wrong card. Got home and got 4002 on trying to load.
Went back to the Walgreen. Store clerk was super helpful and even offered to let me scratch all cards they had in stock to figure out which one was mine. Was also told they had a bunch of cards locked in the managers office which I could check the next day. I declined scratching all they had and went back the next day. The manager had found mine (from the marks left by the swipe on the terminal).

Pretty sure they can't do anything more than that (let you scratch all cards, if at all). So you would be liable.
Why would you need to scratch the numbers? The receipt has the last 4 digits of the bar code on the bottom (below the "scratch zone"). Just look for the card with the matching 4 numbers.

Anyway, how safe do you guys feel holding on to an activated VR before loading it into your BB? The $5K/month and $1K/day limits of the BB can potentially force someone to have active VRs in hand.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tyfabes
Not sure if this is the right area (mods please move if not), but looking for some insight into a Vanilla Reload issue that I'm having with my father in-law:

• Father in-law bought 2 x $500 from Walgreens last weekend on his Chase Southwest card to help meet minimum spend (2 separate transactions)
  • He got his Bluebird card in the mail today and activated it
  • When trying to load both VRs to his Bluebird account, only one card worked
  • The second card gave an error of 'Card is Deactivated (4002)'
  • Called the Vanilla Reload CSR line and she said the card was never activated and to go back and talk to Walgreens to resolve the issue

I'm not entirely postive, but I believe he was charged for both cards. He is in process of verifying with Chase.

Say worse comes to worst, is Walgreens on the hook to refund the $500? Or would he be liable? Has anyone had any experience in a situation like this?

I realize I should have checked the cards immediately after leaving the store, but I've bought close to 20 cards and never had an issue.
As long as you have the reciept it shouldn't be an issue...
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Why would you need to scratch the numbers? The receipt has the last 4 digits of the bar code on the bottom (below the "scratch zone"). Just look for the card with the matching 4 numbers.

Anyway, how safe do you guys feel holding on to an activated VR before loading it into your BB? The $5K/month and $1K/day limits of the BB can potentially force someone to have active VRs in hand.
Why would you want to wait to fund the bluebird card? Basically is for some reason you lose the VR someone can have a field day with it
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Didn't know this back then + I tried matching numbers on the receipt but didn't find a match (the correct card was locked in the managers office).
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
As long as you have the reciept it shouldn't be an issue...
Walgreens can't do anything even if you have a receipt. The money is out of their system and into the VR card once it's been activated. Also, the receipts wont print unless a card has been activated.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

This is great information -- thanks!

We tried to buy 3 cards in total, but we had some issues getting the cards to ring up properly. The Walgreens in town had a $500 limit on all transactions, so ringing up 3 x $503.95 probably set off some alerts with Chase.

He does have the receipt, but he said there doesn't look to be anything on the card with last 4 digits of the pin number. I'm 3 hours away, otherwise I would drive over and verify.

I'm just really hoping that the 'activated' card didn't get put back into the rack and we walked out with a truly 'unactivated' card.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Walgreens can't do anything even if you have a receipt. The money is out of their system and into the VR card once it's been activated. Also, the receipts wont print unless a card has been activated.
The receipt will show that the person bought two VRs and only one got activated.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:51 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

No way.

Check the serial numbers first.
If store stonewalls you, go to corporate and also dispute the charge on your CC.

If you paid and have your receipt, be firm and you will prevail.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Why would you want to wait to fund the bluebird card? Basically is for some reason you lose the VR someone can have a field day with it
You're only allowed to load $1K/calendar day and $5K/calendar month. I was only partially successful during the VR/BB craze, but OD cashiers told me of folks walking out with $10K worth of VR. Whoever was lucky (err... greedy) enough to do that couldn't load it all onto a single BB card. Assuming an empty BB (which is doubtful), that much worth of VR has to be distributed over 2 calendar months.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tyfabes

He does have the receipt, but he said there doesn't look to be anything on the card with last 4 digits of the pin number. I'm 3 hours away, otherwise I would drive over and verify.

I'm just really hoping that the 'activated' card didn't get put back into the rack and we walked out with a truly 'unactivated' card.
How much is the receipt for? That should be the first clue.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deant
How much is the receipt for? That should be the first clue.
Two receipts printed for $503.95, therefore I'm assuming that he was charged for both.

Again, I'm not there to verify anything first hand, but he is checking.

My purchases from CVS show the last 4 of the pin and the status of each card. I'm not sure if the Walgreens cards are as detailed in terms of showing the pin information and card status.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz Prez's Circle
I'm Now Worried

I purchased a Vanilla Reload today for the first time, but I'm worried that it isn't activated. Haven't scratched off the code yet to load BB; what should I do?

Went to Cee Vee Ess. Took VR card to self checkout machine. Scanned it. Specified the load amount of $500. Machine said employee needed to come help. She came and said gift cards generally have to be purchased at the register, but the machine gave me the opportunity to pay, so I paid the $503.95, she approved it, and I was on my way. I now just have the card that was available on the rack, and I paid $503.95 for it.

Is there a chance that it's not activated? Was I supposed to be given a different card (if I'd purchased at the register)?

Last edited by Yarhead; Dec 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:06 pm
wcj

It's likely fine. Try loading it, which is why you bought it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.