FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Wells Fargo Prepaid Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1376772-wells-fargo-prepaid-cards.html)

freeflights4me Jan 16, 2013 11:09 am

Originally Posted by ddallas (Post 20059514)
WF website only accepts numbers from Visa or Mastercard. No AMEX, no Discover.

And I guess the website is the only option for loading the WFPP card?

amolkold Jan 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by freeflights4me (Post 20059601)
And I guess the website is the only option for loading the WFPP card?

With a credit card, yes.

AscorbylPalmitate Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by zozeppelin (Post 20048041)
Just ran into the same thing yesterday, 20% is what Chase gives me for all my cards. I inquired to increase the CA limit and they said they can't do that specifically but can increase the credit limit and that'll increase the CA limit .... with a hard pull so I said no as I'm eyeing a AOR soon. I put in the request to redistribute my credit limit between my 5 cards to cover full loading from 2 different cards.

I'll add I had no problem with IB on initial full load because I believe there is no true credit limit.

As others have mentioned, the charge starts life as a CA but turns into an expense later.

interesting

AscorbylPalmitate Jan 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 20047845)
Sapphire Preferred works as that is my main funding source. But likely your family members tried to load more than their respective cash advance limits. My CA limit is 20% of my credit line...

another family member tested this theory and it appears to be true. :)

jeckll Jan 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by concordian (Post 20046943)
No, you cannot use GC''s to load WF. Any credit card(non-amex) will work, don't use citi cards as they treat them as Cash Advance.

This got me thinking. Could you fund WF with MVD? Because we know those can be CA'd...

jeckll Jan 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Can anyone give a quick recap of the limits as we know them? From reading about 15 pages back it looks like the best way to load is 2500 on day 1 and 1500 on day 16, then repeat. What about withdrawals? I couldn't get a firm grasp of the consensus ATM strategy, how often and how much can be withdrawn from ATMs, whether we can strictly withdraw cash from ATM with occasional cash back, or if we need to swipe a few times to keep it interesting...

anybody?

zozeppelin Jan 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Confirmed once they reallocate my credit limits, CA went up to match 20% and card worked with WF.

Also learned that POS limit appears to be $500 and the MO lady taught me how to do a split transaction. Which in hindsight was pretty dumb to have two large charges seconds apart but got me thinking of splitting between multiple debit sources because the fee is still $0.70 and one less MO to bring to the bank. I did this today for $950, MVD for 499.50 and WF for 451.20. Not bad considering DG sells MVD for 2.99 with CC but doesn't allow you to load it VR paying with a CC, go figure.

SGJazz Jan 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by jeckll (Post 20063952)
Can anyone give a quick recap of the limits as we know them? From reading about 15 pages back it looks like the best way to load is 2500 on day 1 and 1500 on day 16, then repeat. What about withdrawals? I couldn't get a firm grasp of the consensus ATM strategy, how often and how much can be withdrawn from ATMs, whether we can strictly withdraw cash from ATM with occasional cash back, or if we need to swipe a few times to keep it interesting...

anybody?

2500/2000 15 days apart has been working or me. 1500 max/week withdrawal.

nwflyboy Jan 16, 2013 10:32 pm

I've only been doing this since around early December so I'm certainly no expert, but I believe you get 2 free ATM withdrawals per month, only free at Wells Fargo ATMs. After that, it's $1 per withdrawal at Wells Fargo ATMs. Load fee is $5 per load from non-WF CC. $3/month "maintenance fee".

I've been using it as a debit card occasionally for very small spend (parking meters, snacks, etc.), just to mix it up a bit.

jeckll Jan 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by SGJazz (Post 20064120)
2500/2000 15 days apart has been working or me. 1500 max/week withdrawal.

There are some rumblings in the thread about shutdowns, etc. Is doing the max withdraw always through ATMs what's getting WF pissed off? Basically, is doing max ATM withdrawals a bad idea?

farwest101 Jan 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by jeckll (Post 20064198)
There are some rumblings in the thread about shutdowns, etc. Is doing the max withdraw always through ATMs what's getting WF pissed off? Basically, is doing max ATM withdrawals a bad idea?

Loading like clockwork every 15 days and unloading via ATM is asking for trouble methinks. Why take the goldrush approach?

A little of this, a little of that, and a little of the other thing is my motto.

SGJazz Jan 17, 2013 3:12 am

Originally Posted by jeckll (Post 20064198)

So far all is well. I do mix in normal spend.

ckgunn01 Jan 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Lets say VR's are no longer an option, but you have significant expenses that you can't use a credit card for. If one was satisfied with 4500 UR points for 10 load fees plus 3 monthly fees, would there be a problem with loading 4500 off prepaid card at Walmart onto BB? Or would mixing other spend be needed? WF gets their transaction fees so I'm curious if it would raise flags.

tonyflyer Jan 17, 2013 11:22 pm

I don't see why WF would have a problem with this. The load to BB at Walmart shows up as purchase, WF is probably happy to see it.

You could also take cash out from WF PP cards at atm or get cash back at grocery stores.

I think it will be very safe if you do a bit of everything above.

Originally Posted by ckgunn01 (Post 20072628)
Lets say VR's are no longer an option, but you have significant expenses that you can't use a credit card for. If one was satisfied with 4500 UR points for 10 load fees plus 3 monthly fees, would there be a problem with loading 4500 off prepaid card at Walmart onto BB? Or would mixing other spend be needed? WF gets their transaction fees so I'm curious if it would raise flags.

amolkold Jan 18, 2013 1:30 am

So after 2 weeks of being limited to $300 ATMs (and doing 2 x MOs at $500), I loaded yesterday and was able to ATM $500 again tonight. No clue why that is, but I'll take it.

I've been using a certain Olympics card since I got the WF card and just hit enough to get bonus points (that are meant to cover next year's fee but I will likely us to a redemption). But now there is a better play at the Bullseye shop, and I'm thinking of switching to another card for the WF play ...