Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wells Fargo Prepaid Cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: A Few Here, A Few There
Originally Posted by emptiness
Don't do it with chase cards, SHUT DOWN BY chase is worse than amex or citi.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. There is no basis of fact behind this statement for these particular purchases. Not one person has reported getting shut down by C for this.

There of course is risk involved with any of the ways we use. I've said it before, and I will reiterate that moderation and being smart about your spending are key.

I loaded 1k to meet a minimum spend only and also made other small purchases with the card.

I personally will not use this method regularly as it is high profile, but in my opinion it works great as another tool in your belt to help meet minimum spends when needed.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emdot
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. There is no basis of fact behind this statement for these particular purchases. Not one person has reported getting shut down by C for this.

There of course is risk involved with any of the ways we use. I've said it before, and I will reiterate that moderation and being smart about your spending are key.

I loaded 1k to meet a minimum spend only and also made other small purchases with the card.

I personally will not use this method regularly as it is high profile, but in my opinion it works great as another tool in your belt to help meet minimum spends when needed.
you don't have to wait for reports to get yourself shut down by chase.
I am just saying chase UR points are too valuable to mess with. PRE CAUTION!
Have you tried loading with CITI AA cards yet?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:45 am

Guys, Thank you for the information.

Have you guys tried to buy visa gift cards from giftcardmall.com? it should be safer than this WF approach, right? since it sells a bunch of merchandise gift cards. and also gmall.com takes Amex.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:19 am
xp0

Originally Posted by liw5215
Guys, Thank you for the information.

Have you guys tried to buy visa gift cards from giftcardmall.com? it should be safer than this WF approach, right? since it sells a bunch of merchandise gift cards. and also gmall.com takes Amex.
Read and ye shall get your answer.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by emdot

I agree. If you use your chase card as your day to day card and have a few wf purchases here and there, I have a hard time believing you will get shut down. If, on the other hand, your only purchases on the card are wf, I would expect you to run into trouble.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emptiness
you don't have to wait for reports to get yourself shut down by chase.
I am just saying chase UR points are too valuable to mess with. PRE CAUTION!
Have you tried loading with CITI AA cards yet?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...rchid=14579105
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:28 pm

can you use WF card to pay for WF mortgage?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:55 am
Suspended

funds from WF prepaid card transferrable to another WF prepaid card member's account?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:30 pm

Big headache with Wells Fargo

I ordered the prepaid card online using my Chase card to pay for a $500 initial load.
It went through; they took the $500 from Chase, it's on record at my Chase account.
I called WF to check up on it. They couldn't find me in their system. I don't exist. I called several different WF telephone numbers and talked to a bunch of different people, got nowhere.
I called Chase but all I can do through them is contest the charge. Then I would have to order the card all over again. Not appetizing. I want the WF card, but this will attract attention.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by kellrobinson
I ordered the prepaid card online using my Chase card to pay for a $500 initial load.
It went through; they took the $500 from Chase, it's on record at my Chase account.
I called WF to check up on it. They couldn't find me in their system. I don't exist. I called several different WF telephone numbers and talked to a bunch of different people, got nowhere.
I called Chase but all I can do through them is contest the charge. Then I would have to order the card all over again. Not appetizing. I want the WF card, but this will attract attention.
How long has it been since you applied for the card? This happened to me, but I eventually turned up in the WF system the next day.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by kellrobinson
How long ago did you order it? If it has been three weeks or more I would be concerned, otherwise, not so much. I think it took that long to get mine.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by sk8uno
Be careful...others have reported that BofA does not earn miles for WF purchases (even though the transaction posts as a purchase). Who knows whether the purchases count toward min spend.

The difference is that with WF, your statement says "WELLS FARGO PREPAID" and with OD, well, you get the idea.
Originally Posted by elBulli
Definitely aware that this might happen. Trying it with my BoA Alaska card, which is $7500 spend in 6 months. I just got it so if my initial $2500 load doesn't count toward the min spend/miles, I'll know with plenty of time in advance. I'm also using it for smaller, daily purchases to hopefully show that I'm not just going to do 3 $2500 loads from WF, but will use it regularly.
Originally Posted by econjon
How will you know if the 2500 counts toward min spend?
Originally Posted by Stoughton
When your statement closes, you'll know if you got points or not.
Whew, I just finished reading this entire thread from start to finish (a strategy I wish more FT'ers would employ ) Above bolding mine.

According to multiple reports in this thread BofA cards are posting as purchases but are not earning points. The pertinent question is whether spend on a BofA card will still count towards min spend. The BofA card bonus is split like so: the first portion of the bonus is triggered by card activation, the second portion is triggered by htting the $7,500 spend threshold. Therefore econjon's question makes sense b/c elBulli's stated strategy of spending 2,500 and waiting to see what happens won't provide us any new info.

The only way that econjon's question can be answered is by someone hitting spend threshold on a BofA card (in the case of the BofA AS this means $7,500) and seeing if WF purchases trigger the bonus or not.

Last edited by HoKo; Oct 8, 2012 at 11:33 pm
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HoKo
Therefore econjon's question makes sense b/c elBulli's stated strategy of spending 2,500 and waiting to see what happens won't provide us any new info.
Yes, it will

The only way that econjon's question can be answered is by someone hitting spend threshold on a BofA card (in the case of the BofA AS this means $7,500) and seeing if WF purchases trigger the bonus or not
If they get the normal spend points for that $2,500 purchase, then the spend will count towards the total amount required to generate the 2nd bonus. This can be determined when the statement closes, threshold hit or not.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Yes, it will

If they get the normal spend points for that $2,500 purchase, then the spend will count towards the total amount required to generate the 2nd bonus. This can be determined when the statement closes, threshold hit or not.
As I just stated reports in this thread have indicated BofA is not awarding normal spends points for WF purchases (for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19333246-post231.html. Of course it may be YMMV but on what basis are you hypothesizing that BofA will suddenly reverse course and start awarding normal spend points?

Last edited by HoKo; Oct 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HoKo
As I just stated reports in this thread have indicated BofA is not awarding normal spends points for WF purchases (for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19333246-post231.html. Of course it may be YMMV but on what basis are you hypothesizing that BofA will suddenly reverse course and start awarding normal spend points?
I can tell you, with 100% certainty, that both Wells Fargo and Nationwide Buxx loads CAN earn you 1:1 points on a BoA card as a normal spend.

Note - I said can, not will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.