MH387 PVG-KUL LUNCH

MH360 KUL-PEK DINNER
MH3601 PEK-KUL BREAKFAST
Print Wikipost

MH : Chef on Call for F/J passengers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by sxc
The chef on call meal only applies to the "big" meal. So you can't book one of those dishes for breakfast.
If one is after the nasi lemak, it seems to make very regular appearances as the breakfast dish on the night flights to Europe as part of the standard menu.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:40 am

Location: London, UK. AA EXP 5MM; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Ambassador Lifetime Platinum, Hertz PC
Utterly unsuccessful.....................BUT

Hi All;

Just did CDG/KUL and back in J and was unable to order my meal using my MacBook running Chrome. I did the order then got the greyed out waiting screen for hours (literally; I left my laptop running overnight to see if anything might happen, but it didn't)

But it doesn't matter; I was really impressed with the standard menu.

Really enjoyed the whole experience, lots of space, excellent seat (use a pillow on the legrest to lie completely flat) and wonderfully helpful staff.

The lounge at KUL was nice, not as nice as The Wing in HK but the staff really made up for it, they are friendly and helpful but most importantly it seemed as if they really meant it.

I was so impressed that I have decided to change a planned LHR/SIN flight which I had intended to fly on BA will now be on MH.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:23 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BD1959
Really? There appear to be some very "breakfast-like" dishes in there ....

• Hotcakes with Orange Ragout - this is served as a "big meal main" followed by desert?
  • Vanilla Hotcakes - similar
  • The Scrambled Egg, Egg Roll and Omelette dishes look decidedly "breakfast-y"

and finally ....
  • The Breakfast Grill
  • Mediterranean Breakfast Grill - aren't breakfasts at all, but served as part of the "big" meal. They should rename them "All Day but not at Breakfast, Breakfast"

... interesting ... Thanks sxc!!

Regards,

BD
Sorry I was basing on my experience of the mid haul flights to/from oz where the breakfast is a disappointing bread and cereal.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Sorry I was basing on my experience of the mid haul flights to/from oz where the breakfast is a disappointing bread and cereal.
Breakfast on my last MEL-KUL was far from disappointing:

Starters
Health Drink

Fruit Juice

Fresh Fruits
Cornflakes
With your choice of fresh or low fat milk
Bakery Selection

Main Course
Mushroom Omelette

Mixed Grill (Chef's Recommendation ... which I had - and very nice it was!!)

Nasi Lemak (which I'll probably try this time)

Hot Cakes
Regards,

BD
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:06 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BD1959
Breakfast on my last MEL-KUL was far from disappointing:
My breakfast landing into KUL from SYD in J was what you list, minus the hot course.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sxc
My breakfast landing into KUL from SYD in J was what you list, minus the hot course.
Did you perhaps oversleep and were served something after the regular breakfast distribution? I had the impression that all MEL/SYD J flights have the same full breakfast with a choice of three options including one eggy, one Malaysian, and one grill type.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

No, definitely not. Both on my flight to SYD and return, the menu for breakfast was continental only and was listed as such on my menu.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
No, definitely not. Both on my flight to SYD and return, the menu for breakfast was continental only and was listed as such on my menu.
It would be disappointing if you were expecting a hot main.

Maybe, because of the OMG-arrival time of the SYD-KUL sector, it isn't offered.

Doesn't explain the lack of same KUL-SYD though.

I think I'll pre-order the ex-MEL and ex-KUL mains, will default to the standard for the second leg mains.

Thanks all,

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, LeClubAccor Gold, Enrich
Sorry for digging up old thread, but i don't see any reasons for starting another thread when i'm going to ask the same question.

Booked myself and my wife on J for SIN-KUL-ICN return for our honeymoon. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that J catering are also victims of their cost cutting measures. So J main course are basically Y meals disguised with better presentation, wonder how true is that.

So comes the question, whether it makes more sense to use the chef-on-call or just leave myself to chance that one of the menu options will suit my taste buds?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: SPG Plat
MH Chef on call worth it?

I can vouch that their J catering has not been a victim of the cost cutting measure. at least as of 23rd Dec 2013
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I booked my meal, brunch, for this weekend's flight.
Had a choice of beef/steak with whatever, lamb based dishes, homemade chicken lasagne and a few fish curry etc dishes. Something like 16 choices.
Was going to go for the Nasi Lemak but not sure about the prawns it comes with so chose a sweet and sour snapper dish.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by xenole
I booked my meal, brunch, for this weekend's flight.
Had a choice of beef/steak with whatever, lamb based dishes, homemade chicken lasagne and a few fish curry etc dishes. Something like 16 choices.
Was going to go for the Nasi Lemak but not sure about the prawns it comes with so chose a sweet and sour snapper dish.
I used their website to check out the choices. Seems like the main meal for KUL-ICN will be served during breakfast, while ICN-KUL is lunch.

Trying to figure out whether i can preorder for the return leg only and leave outbound to lady luck? Since it seems a tad heavy to have those menus for breakfast.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by rooivalk
I can vouch that their J catering has not been a victim of the cost cutting measure. at least as of 23rd Dec 2013
Good to hear that.. This will be my first time on MH.. Hope the experience will be good
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
If one is after the nasi lemak, it seems to make very regular appearances as the breakfast dish on the night flights to Europe as part of the standard menu.
...and they tend to run out of it, so it would be a good one to order.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by mario33
What do you mean by 'worth it' when you don't have to pay extra for this privilege ?

While I don't find the choices to be spectacular, at least I am assured of my choice inadvance rather than to be told your choice is not available.
Agreed. I ordered my meal before hand as I am a picky eater. Hubby didn't as he loves any food and is happy for the surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.