FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Regarding the spa, doesn't the MO still give you a pass to a super nice (for Germany) health club down the street. It's been a couple years since I was last there, but I recall using the club and thought it was excellent.
Yes, they do, but it still means you have to go outside the hotel and for me this is not conducive to relaxation. It is a pity that the hotel does not have the space for a spa.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed during a warm weather period and it was a very pleasant stroll down the blocked off shopping street to the health club, so I didn't mind. I would mind more if I had to do it during the weather we are having now!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
The Charles Hotel, Munich

I just recently stayed at The Charles Hotel in Munich. The Charles was an unknown to me as it only opened in 2007, years after I had lived in Munich (although I am in Munich several times a year).

So I decided to try it on this trip and it was an excellent choice. Rooms were comfortable, service was very good, and the location was nice because it was somewhat secluded but not far from anything.

I would definitely consider a return visit.

A complete write-up with more photos is here.

Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by jspira
I just recently stayed at The Charles Hotel in Munich. The Charles was an unknown to me as it only opened in 2007, years after I had lived in Munich (although I am in Munich several times a year).

So I decided to try it on this trip and it was an excellent choice. Rooms were comfortable, service was very good, and the location was nice because it was somewhat secluded but not far from anything.

I would definitely consider a return visit.

A complete write-up with more photos is here.

I agree with you - The Charles is probably one of Rocco Forte's best ever hotels and is a great place to stay in Munich.

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Feb 10, 2010 at 10:39 am Reason: mistake
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might want to combine this with the MO Munich thread which contains a number of comments about the Charles.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:59 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I have merged the thread on the Charles Hotel in Munich with the existing thread on the Mandarin Munich. I have renamed this new thread "Munich Hotels" and have noted that it used to be known as the Mandarin Munich thread if anyone is searching.

Luxury
Co-Moderator
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:23 pm

My wife and I stayed at the MO in Munich for 3 nights last winter and I thought it was excellent. It is a bit odd that the elevator didn't go to the top floor (where our room was) but it was a beautiful room (fairly large) so no complaint. Great location.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:28 pm

I really enjoyed my visit to the MO in Munich. Great room (photo below - at least of part of the room). Very personalized service. I found the hotel entrance odd (as if it should be on the corner, not where it is) but that was probably my only complaint.

I did write a report/review of my stay there as well.

Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:45 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Spa's ain't me usually so I didn't even think to ask, sorry.

The service I get at the MO is always good but NEVER leaves me with the sense that they would go the extra mile if necessary to ensure me a happy visit. For example, on this last stay, I was entitled to a space-available Virtuoso one-class upgrade. They didn't mention it on check-in. Only when I looked at the room they gave me did I realize that it wasn't an upgrade. Then I had to request one (the hotel had lots of empty rooms), they had to check, and I had to move rooms.
Funny - the MO Munich was the only MO I've ever stayed at. And the staff there practically ran a marathon for us . Like the first night we were there - they left one bucket of ice. And we ordered a second. Every night after that - without asking - we got two buckets. Every night there was a lovely *fresh* plate of goodies in our room at about 5 pm. The second time we ate dinner at the hotel - the restaurant staff remembered our preferences during our first meal exactly And when I mentioned to the concierge I dealt with most of the time how much I liked the toiletries - there was a "farewell" gift of them waiting for me when we departed. I was left with a very favorable impression of Munich and MO. Robyn

P.S. OTOH - the pool was a joke. But - living in Florida - I didn't go to Munich to swim! And our room was lovely - spacious - and very comfortable.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:10 pm

It could be me! Or they could treat first time guests better than repeat guests -- I got a great room upgrade on check-in the first time, just never afterwards.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:27 pm
In memoriam

Perhaps another explanation was that the hotel renovations were about 98% finished then - and the hotel wanted to make sure that everyone was happy and would "spread the word". If so - it succeeded in terms of our stay . Robyn
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've only stayed at the MO Munich twice, but both were great stays and upgrades.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Recently stayed at the MO Munich and just wanted to comment on a rather mixed food experience we had in what they term their bistro. I gather this eatery is very new as even the services directory made no mention of it. It is a small area in the lobby which is fairly relaxed (and we chose it becase we didn't want a formal experience) and offers a limited, but quite adeqaute, menu as well as anything on offer from the bar menu. In addition they were having some sort of an Asian food celebration. This gave us quite a big choice and my partner chose a steak while I ordered nasi goreng from the menu of "Asian specials".

The food took forever to arrive and at one point an apology was made informing us that the steak had to come from the main kitchen. When it finally arrived my partner's steak was superb in every respect. My nasi goreng was the most boring rendition of that dish I have ever eaten. Admittedly it is not the most exciting dish in the world but it it is great comfort food and I had hoped that such a fine establishment might have an exciting take on the dish if they didn't want to be purely authentic.

It seems that food from the main (Michelin starred) kitchen is fantastic but you take your chances with anything else. Service was adequate but rather patchy as there were only two tables occupied and only one server on duty so when she was otherwise occupied things ground to a halt.

All in all not a very succesful idea by the MO Munich management and could do with a rethink IMHO. Otherwise I was very happy with our room and the service generally.

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; Apr 3, 2010 at 3:01 pm
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:30 pm

Apparently the bistro in the lobby is there so they don't have to open the larger main restaurant at lunch -- the downturn apparently necessitated the change. At least that's what they told me when I was there last.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
authentic.

It seems that food from the main (Michelin starred) kitchen is fantastic but you take your chances with anything else. Service was adequate but rather patchy as there were only two tables occupied and only one server on duty so when she was otherwise occupied things ground to a halt.
I had what might have been the best club sandwich I had ever tasted in the lobby bar. I didn't eat anything else there so I cannot comment on whether "you take your chances" with other food but all of my dining experiences at the MO (multiple breakfasts, the sandwich, dinners) were sublime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.