FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:57 am

I have staid in all three. Some things to consider:

1) Location: Location is OK for all three (walking distance to main attractions), but Kempinski has by far the best. It is right on Maximilianstrasse, which is the best street in Munich for upscale shopping. Sofitel is right next to the main train station (not such a nice area), and the Charles is also close to the train station.

2) Rooms: At the Charles, you can be sure to have a nice room, even if you book the lowest category. The hotel is relatively recent and maintained well. With Kempinski, there is much more variability - the renovated suites/rooms are nice and spacious, but I have also been placed in broom closets with a view of interior air shafts and the wallpaper coming off. For this reason, I have decided at some point that I would not return. Better not book the cheapest room category, and make sure to check before what exactly you will get. Sofitel has a good standard, but clearly a notch below the two other hotels, as other commenters have remarked.

3) Overall ambiance: Here, Kempinski is unbeatable. Public areas are grand. Breakfast is by far the best among the three (although the Charles breakfast is not bad either), and you can enjoy it seated at a window with a view on Maximilianstraße. The Charles is also nicely decorated, but the lobby is a bit cramped, and given that it's quite recent, it does not have the same old world grandeur. The Sofitel is design conscious with a dark color palette, but tries a bit too hard for my taste.

4) Alternatives: In your price range, you could also consider the Mandarin Oriental (across the street from the Kempinski on Maximilianstrasse) and the Bayerischer Hof. Many locals would consider the Bayerischer Hof the no. 1 hotel in Munich. It is one of the last truely independent hotels (family owned). The location on Promenadenplatz is great. It has two excellent gourmet restaurants, a great American bar (and a slightly cheesy Polynesian-themed bar in the basement, if you fancy that - it's a classic!), and a very nice pool/spa area at the top floor. Rooms are unfortunately also a bit hit and miss as with the Kempinski, but if you want to splurge I would go there.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I haven't tried the Charles, but I have tried the rest and the MO is clearly the best and in the best location for most things.

If you book a suite at the Sofitel the room will be quite nice, but the service isn't at the same level as the Kempinski or MO.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having stayed there, I am not one of the "many" people who would regard the Bayerischer Hof as the no. 1 (or 2 or 3 .... ) hotel in Munich. It's a large convention hotel, plain and simple.

Your luxury choices in Munich are the MO and the Charles. Period.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Having stayed there, I am not one of the "many" people who would regard the Bayerischer Hof as the no. 1 (or 2 or 3 .... ) hotel in Munich. It's a large convention hotel, plain and simple.

Your luxury choices in Munich are the MO and the Charles. Period.
I quite agree! The Bayerischer Hof is an awful hotel. Food is pretty good, but presentation is dire and the rest of the hotel has no charm whatsoever. I love The Charles and MO Munich - both are excellent, depending on which part of Munich you need to be in.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:23 am

Sorry if I was not making myself entirely clear.

What I wrote (and meant to say) is that many LOCALS would consider Bayerischer Hof the no. 1 hotel in Munich. This is certainly not driven by locals being able to judge differences in quality of service, because obviously they typically cannot.

This is driven by such factors as 1) Bayerischer Hof has a long tradition, 2) it has a number of highly-rated gourmet restaurants as well as bars frequented by locals, 3) it has a certain presence in the social/cultural life in Munich (yes, this includes conventions)

Of course it's anyone's individual decision if these factors are relevant or not in selecting their hotel.

The Charles will provide you with a perfectly fine experience, but could be located pretty much anywhere. Compared to the other Rocco Forte Hotels in Germany (Frankfurt, Berlin) that are in historical buildings the design is kind to the eye but frankly rather non-descript.

Last edited by kamel123; Nov 12, 2013 at 10:45 am
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Stayed at the VJ this past Tuesday. Booked a superior room through AMEX FHR and was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to an executive suite on the top floor. Although I was there for less than 12 hours (arrived late and departed early), I thought the service was excellent. The doorman addressed me by name and the breakfast spread was very extensive. I can't comment on the other hotels as I haven't stayed there and they are also a bit out of my price range. It's also a bit of a walk from the Marienplatz S/U-Bahn station.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 4:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

The Charles Hotel, Munich

And I am just back from a (too short) stay at the Charles. It was really a superb stay:

- the rooms facing the park are superb (these are Superior Deluxe and Deluxe rooms), with gorgeous views of the domed towers and spires of the old town.

- the hotel, with its serious pool and spa, is much more of a full-service hotel than the Mandarin Oriental

- my dinner at the hotel restaurant Davvero was quite easily the best meal I have ever had in Germany. Unbelievably great food, great service, etc. If it doesn't have Michelin stars yet, it will soon

Service was spot on.

I much preferred the Charles to the Mandarin Oriental. While you do have to walk for 10 minutes to get to the heart of the Old Town from the Charles, the views from park-facing rooms are wonderful, and the every aspect of the hotel itself was a step above the Mandarin Oriental. And personally, I preferred being within a 5-minute walk to the central station rather than being in the thick of the Old Town.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Groombridge
And I am just back from a (too short) stay at the Charles. It was really a superb stay:

- the rooms facing the park are superb (these are Superior Deluxe and Deluxe rooms), with gorgeous views of the domed towers and spires of the old town.

- the hotel, with its serious pool and spa, is much more of a full-service hotel than the Mandarin Oriental

- my dinner at the hotel restaurant Davvero was quite easily the best meal I have ever had in Germany. Unbelievably great food, great service, etc. If it doesn't have Michelin stars yet, it will soon

Service was spot on.

I much preferred the Charles to the Mandarin Oriental. While you do have to walk for 10 minutes to get to the heart of the Old Town from the Charles, the views from park-facing rooms are wonderful, and the every aspect of the hotel itself was a step above the Mandarin Oriental. And personally, I preferred being within a 5-minute walk to the central station rather than being in the thick of the Old Town.
I like the Charles and stayed there some time. I also like Davvero, but in my eyes it´s miles away from Michelin-stars. IMO it´s solid, but nothing remarkable. The pool is nice, but much to cold for us.

But glad you liked.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, Flying Club
Arrow The Charles Hotel trip report : February 2012 - Munich Germany

This is a long delayed trip report but I think the community will benefit so here we go ….

In February 2012, we landed in Munich with the intent of picking up my German automobile, under the auspices of the European Delivery program. The plan was to drive around Switzerland and Austria and return to Munich in a week’s time. From there, the plan was to travel to India using the 11.11.11 deal on LH I had snagged. I had reservations at the FS in Mumbai, Taj Exotica in Goa and another hotel in Rajasthan I cannot recall the name of.

My son was 6 months old at the time and my parents had warned me this was going to be a tough gig. They traveled all over Europe with me in tow when I was a tiny tot.

So we flew business on United to LHR – it was actually a pretty good flight – most of the crew were from LAX/San Diego so plenty to talk about – having lived in California for 14 years.

I distinctly remember the roast beef was just not good quality. The salad(!) however was quite good as was the caramel custard dessert. I think they had Glenfiddich on that flight, a welcome surprise.

We experienced a huge delay with the final LH flight to Munich, on the runway and then because our baggage with the double stroller was the last to arrive.

I had booked a taxi via a contact on the Automobile forum that I also contribute to. Somehow we were not able to connect at the airport. I walked up to the taxi counter and we were able to get a S-class taxi to the hotel. My daughter was very amused to see almost every single taxi outside the airport was a Mercedes. I explained to her this was a ‘local’ car!

Now for the hotel!

We booked all the hotels through DavidO. We were given a warm welcome to the hotel both by the front office staff and the concierge. They informed me we had been upgraded to a suite on the 4th floor.

The luggage was magically brought up to the suite in no time at all. I have to say the service was seamless. I tipped the doorman and the porter well.

We had a pretty nice fruit bowl and a welcome note on the little dining table in the living area. We also had little stuffed toys - lions to add to our luxury hotel toy collection.

I asked for the menu from the Italian restaurant below to be brought to the suite. They did so almost immediately – again – astonishing response time!

We had pizza and two salads with chocolate cake and a fruit bowl. Excellent food. I was later informed that Munich is sometimes referred to as Italy’s northern-most city due to the large number of Italians living and working there. Well, the food is just excellent in Munich – as we were soon to discover!

The hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff attitude was always friendly and welcoming.

The suite was quite lovely and a little oddly decorated in places but overall was beautiful - with floor to ceiling windows in both the bedroom and the living areas. Lots of light is important during a winter in Munich. There was a full sofa set with a pull-out bed in the living area. There was also a little kitchenette where we asked for a microwave to be installed. Very helpful with the kids, I assure you.

The bed was quite comfortable and they had set up a crib for our infant son as well – really thoughtful. The bathroom had heated floors – love those! Bath robes were plush and the children’s toiletries were all-natural.

The concierge Kai was exceptional – he was so polite and resourceful, our Anglophone concierges at the FS hotels in the US and UK can learn a thing or two from him. Although I have to say my wife got the best service ever at FS Las Vegas (she says it was close to Aman-level service) this past Thanksgiving weekend – but I digress.

- Chaise lounge in the bedroom

- Bedroom

- Tiny office area

- Living Area

- Shower

- Tub

- Sofa with pullout bed

The hotel arranged for us to have a BMW 7 series limo to take us to the BMW European Delivery Center. Now that I think about it, the lounge at the BMW Welt is a bit similar to the best LH lounges in FRA and MUC. When they have Veuve Cliquot for the wife, Radeberger, 3 types of Spaten and Franziskaner for me and about 30 little sweet treats for the little ones, everyone is happy !!

We then clicked a bunch of pictures with us and the car – something I don’t like to do - but apparently it’s a tradition at the BMW Welt. Got back within an hour.

The next day we ordered the Charles breakfast and we were supposed to leave for GVA the same night. Unfortunately my wife was feeling under the weather and whatever virus she had eventually got to all four of us. We ended up canceling the India leg of the trip – instead we spent 10 days in Munich and environs. We visited Dachau, so many museums, the circus,and a few castles in the vicinity when we recovered.

The funniest thing to me was that we ate excellent food wherever we ventured – debunking any myths of Germany or in this case Munich not performing on par with international food capitals.

The Charles breakfast was pretty much on par with the best I have had all over the world. German charcuterie, free range eggs perfectly cooked to order, and glorious whole wheat german bread, flaky croissants, full fat milk and yogurt and the most sublime mint tea ever – Eilees – I make it a point to pick up a 100 tea bags whenever I am in Germany.

The Italian restaurant Davvero was top notch – everything we had there was pretty much awesome.

Lunch at a number of local Italian and Euro-brunch places was an absolute delight. The biggest difference between Germany and the UK/US for us - was how our children were viewed at restaurants. We felt they were welcomed and embraced instead of being merely tolerated. OTOH, our kids are well-behaved at restaurants, having been to so many places since infancy.

We had brunch at a Jazz venue that had a lot of Vietnamese waiters – got some intel from them about pho places in Munich. That was a godsend in the dreary Munich winter … not the best ever, but very comforting.

Back to the Charles – I would not hesitate to place the Charles on par with any real 5-star hotel in the US or UK. Bottom line – we had a fantastic time at the Charles and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting Munich – within the context of the Luxury Hotel forum.

Cheers ^
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:43 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moving the above post to the main recent thread on Munich hotels.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks everyone for the updates!

indianenglish photos >

Chaise lounge in the bedroom

Bedroom

Tiny office area

Living Area

Shower

Tub

Sofa with pullout bed

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 8, 2013 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
thanks everyone for the updates!

indianenglish photos >
I know this suite well
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
we had this suite for a short (24 hour) stay as my wife, 12 year old and I transited through MUC back to US. It was as great a room as the OP wrote. Really well laid, out, very large bed and great light in corner facing the park and old university building. Only a 10 min or so walk to marienplatz and all the hub-bub of Munich during Advent season. Highly recommend Charles, wish we had more time to spend.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
That looks a lot more inviting than the suite I received at the VJ. Guess I will have to try out the Charles next time.

Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
That looks a lot more inviting than the suite I received at the VJ. Guess I will have to try out the Charles next time.
I guess you´re right

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.