FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:07 am

They have always had some sort of F&B option in the lobby and last time I stayed, the fare was good, although obviously not in the same league as the Michelin restaurant upstairs, which is superb. I do think that they need more staff in the lobby though as this venue is now very popular with locals so gets really busy at lunchtime.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Mark's Restaurant, Mandarin Oriental Munich

Groupon.de
€99 6-course tasting menu for 2 (€218 value)

• Voucher is valid for the 6-course tasting menu for 2 people
  • Mark's Restaurant opening times everyday from 19.00 - 23.00 clock
  • Reservation stating Groupon, preferably above required RESERVATION
  • Valid for 4 months, except 18.03-26.03.2011
(via Google Translate)

March tasting menu:
Pama Pomegranate Liqueur foie gras terrine with
Espuma black pepper and warm brioche

Sea urchins and Champagne Soup
with its own sashimi

Roasted Loup de Mer
Emulsion of olive oil and fennel, tomato confit, herb vinaigrette ponzu

Roasted rack of lamb and braised lamb shoulder
Spinach with almonds and enoki mushrooms, eggplant caviar, fried polenta, thyme

Cheese from the trolley of Tourette Affineur
served with homemade chutneys

Irish Whiskey Cream
with cereal-rice Croustillant, Coffee & Chocolates Velouté

==========================================

Purchase within the next 7 hrs. If you're new to Groupon, PM for my referral link.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Charles Munich

Just got back from a one night stay at the Charles. I just had a basic room, but it was large and extremely comfortable. I loved the modern design which is stylish and warm. Great bathroom with large separate shower and lots of REN products. Service was very caring at all times and everyone seemed to know my name within 5 minutes of being there. Great roomservice dinner and delicious breakfast. I didn't find the location a problem at all and loved the views of the gardens. One of my favourite European city hotels so far.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Just got back from a one night stay at the Charles. I just had a basic room, but it was large and extremely comfortable. I loved the modern design which is stylish and warm. Great bathroom with large separate shower and lots of REN products. Service was very caring at all times and everyone seemed to know my name within 5 minutes of being there. Great roomservice dinner and delicious breakfast. I didn't find the location a problem at all and loved the views of the gardens. One of my favourite European city hotels so far.
Me, too. I really like The Charles - probably Rocco Forte's best yet. Loved the rustic Italian food there. No problem with the location, either. I also really like the fact that all the corridors have big windows into the internal Japanese garden.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Flying Club
Thumbs up Superb experience at The Charles

Wanted to report that we had a brilliant time at the Charles this month. We were in a Classic Suite during two separate stays and the service, food, spa - everything is flawless.

I booked through a Virtuoso travel advisor so we got free breakfast and $85 dining credit as well as free mineral water and access to the Spa.

The lobby is not huge and ornate, but it's very well done. The staff always picked up the phone and answered with my name. I will post some pictures in the trip report thread soon.

The Charles breakfast which is basically everything but the kitchen sink was an awesome treat for us ... bread baskets, croissants, eggs, bacon, salami, etc was a feast.

The concierges were really helpful as well, esp as we had to rush to the children's ER, both my kids fell ill the same morning. They were very efficient in locating the ER and obtaining a cab for us almost instantly.

My wife and I were very happy with the place, and in my book the service at the FS' of the world still have a miles to go before it can match this level.

And this is one of the few places in the world where I will say the food provided by room service actually was pretty good. Someone in that kitchen knows what they are doing.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boxo
Groupon.de
€99 6-course tasting menu for 2 (€218 value)

• Voucher is valid for the 6-course tasting menu for 2 people
  • Mark's Restaurant opening times everyday from 19.00 - 23.00 clock
  • Reservation stating Groupon, preferably above required RESERVATION
  • Valid for 4 months, except 18.03-26.03.2011
(via Google Translate)

March tasting menu:
Pama Pomegranate Liqueur foie gras terrine with
Espuma black pepper and warm brioche

Sea urchins and Champagne Soup
with its own sashimi

Roasted Loup de Mer
Emulsion of olive oil and fennel, tomato confit, herb vinaigrette ponzu

Roasted rack of lamb and braised lamb shoulder
Spinach with almonds and enoki mushrooms, eggplant caviar, fried polenta, thyme

Cheese from the trolley of Tourette Affineur
served with homemade chutneys

Irish Whiskey Cream
with cereal-rice Croustillant, Coffee & Chocolates Velouté

==========================================

Purchase within the next 7 hrs. If you're new to Groupon, PM for my referral link.
Guess it's gone already but I would agree that this was a deal. Grab it if it's repeated and you're going to be in Munich, even if you will stay at the Charles (which would be my preference too).
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:06 am
Company Representative - Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group - Munich

Originally Posted by bluewatersail
Has this hotel been renovated recently? 3 years ago service was great but rooms were tired.
Dear bluewatersail,

Thank you very much for your comment.
We have renovated all rooms and suites which now shine in a new splendor since 2007.
Our new fitness and wellness centre just opened in January 2012. The fitness area houses a wide range of state-of-the-art equipment from TechnoGym. For those looking to relax, the hotel’s new wellness area is home to a Turkish steam bath, a Finnish sauna and tropical experience showers.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:08 am
Company Representative - Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group - Munich

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
(a) They gave me an argument when I asked to have the checkout time extended by one hour.

(b) The mini-bar in the room is included in the rate. I asked them to substitute diet coke for the regular, they said they'd take care of it. Never happened, no apology when I asked again, still didn't happen.

(c) I know I am not that regular, typically only there once a year, but shouldn't my preferences be in a computer somewhere and honored without asking?

(d) They tell me I am getting a "great room" when the door map shows it clearly is the smallest on the floor.

(e) It is weird in the 21st century to still have lifts that don't go to the top floor.

But again, this is genuinely the best hotel in town. Although right next to the Hofbrauhaus, I have never had a room noise problem, for example.

Dear RichardInSF,
Thank you very much for your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich in 2009 and for taking the time to give us your review. We are delighted to read that you found us the best hotel in Munich.
We would like to explain you the following:
Due to our small capacity of only 73 rooms and our booking situation it is not always possible to offer a late check-out. But we always try our best to make everything possible for our guests.
Our biggest apology for the situation concerning the mini bar.
Unfortunately the construction of the building (partly on monument protection) does not allow us to build the lift up to the 7th floor. This is the reason that the lift only goes up to the 6th floor.
Dear RichardInSF, again thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you soon again.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:14 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Good to know that MOMU is keeping standards up..
Pleased to be back at lovely MOBKK to enjoy the spa, etc but sad that this is only a short stay
There were rather spectacular fireworks on the river last night
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I plan to visit Munich next year for holiday. Besides MO and the Charles, any other suggestions? How about the Kempinski?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BENLEE
I plan to visit Munich next year for holiday. Besides MO and the Charles, any other suggestions? How about the Kempinski?
In the past few months, I've stayed at the Sofitel Bayerpost and the Vier Jahreszeiten.

I tend to gravitate back to the VJ as my default hotel in Munich (which means I am there perhaps 2x per year plus one or two stays at another hotel in the city) for several reasons including location, excellent staff and service, wonderful breakfast, and general atmosphere.

I also like the somewhat unusual GHA loyalty program (I am black in terms of status) because it gives brand new members some good perks from the very beginning.

One of the things GHA emphasizes is the "local experience" program. I plan to sample several local experiences but I had my first at the VJ not too long ago and wrote an article about it:

Tea Tasting at the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski, Munich – A GHA Local Experience

Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Forget about the Kempinski airport. It´s location is far away from the city and the hotel is far away from a Luxury Hotel. Munich has many good Propertys, so the VJ with it´s great location (near the MO) ist not the worst choice if you book a suite. Be aware, that they have really cheap "tourist-rooms", wich have nothing in common with Luxury. The MO has the better location than RF, but RF has the better value. An alternative could be Bayerpost, Königshof (very classic with good restaurant) and Bayerischer Hof.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:41 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
I staid at the VJ in the past, but think it is a little bit too big and impersonal. Will try the RF Charles soon, like the style of Olga Polizzi and have been really impressed at the Augustine in Prag.

This said Kempinski left for most of their properties LHW to join that GHA brand which is just another superfluos marketing group.

Strange that the VJ is still also part of LHW - how inconsistent.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:44 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bayerische Hof is a convention hotel, as I realized the first and only time I stayed there, along with a million ham and pork merchants. The airport hotel is just that, an airport hotel, good for an overnight and nothing more.

My choice would be the Charles over the MO, even though the MO has a slightly better location for tourism.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
My choice would be the Charles over the MO, even though the MO has a slightly better location for tourism.
Generally yes, especially if you look on the price. But you must be careful with Charles, I had some issues in the past. For example they haven´t a table for breakfast at mornimng, because they had a special offer for non-hotel guests and the restaurant was full. Thats the reason I pay for the hotel. Also the cleanness wasn´t perfect all the time and they have conventions too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.