FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
I guess you´re right
Charles has wonderful rooms. I think VJ wins on the location and service fronts as well I really like the breakfast at the VJ. Both are good hotels.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Has anyone had direct experience using the concierge service at any of the top
Munich hotels for "difficult" requests?

I don't mean standard request such as restaurant reservations etc., but more in the nature of obtaining a ticket to (what is anticipated to be) a sold out performance at the Nationaltheater.

Thank you for your assistance,
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Has anyone had direct experience using the concierge service at any of the top
Munich hotels for "difficult" requests?

I don't mean standard request such as restaurant reservations etc., but more in the nature of obtaining a ticket to (what is anticipated to be) a sold out performance at the Nationaltheater.

Thank you for your assistance,
VJ has helped me out with some tickets and were able to get them. I would think any of the top hotels above should be able to assist with the majority of requests.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Any new developments in Munich? Alternatively has anyone had wonderful/dreadful stays at the usual suspects recently? I am likely to be spending a week or more in Munich in July and would hate to make a poor choice.

Stayed at MO my last 2 visits. It was good - though I did have a few problems. I am open to other choices this time. Walking distance to the Staatsoper (which would apply to most luxury properties on here, IIRC?) is a definite plus.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will be back at the Charles for a few nights in April, will comment if anything seems radically different than my last stay (I hope so -- dinner at the restaurant was a real screw-up even though the rest of the stay was fine).
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:02 am

For me the charles is the best hotel in Munich right now, though not in the best location, still good though (just have to walk a bit longer than from the 4s, MO etc).
Restaurants- try out The Grill for steaks and Koi for amazing japanese food.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Michael82
For me the charles is the best hotel in Munich right now, though not in the best location, still good though (just have to walk a bit longer than from the 4s, MO etc).
You mean 'Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten' I think. We usually use the abbreviation '4S' to stand for 'Four Seasons Hotel'. There isn't one in Munich.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
You mean 'Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten' I think. We usually use the abbreviation '4S' to stand for 'Four Seasons Hotel'. There isn't one in Munich.
Quite - it's a Kempinski.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Well even this language-challenged speaker of (one of the variants of) English was able to manage the translation and avoid confusion - so not at all sure why the fuss. (It is no more confusing than the fact that the Ritz in London isn't RC. I doubt anyone on this forum is in danger of being misled.)

The Munich Kempinski (I trust that is not offensive to anyone?) is of course ideally convenient for strolling to the Staatsoper. And I have had very enjoyable stays at various Kempinskis (Aqaba, Red Sea, Dresden - slightly less so Dubai) so am well disposed to the brand.

But those photographs up-thread were not reassuring. Are there better rooms -perhaps renovated - one can go for? Other redeeming features? Or should it just be avoided?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael82
+1 for the Charles, though it is a bit of a hike from central sites, the location is very quiet. It is near to the main train station, about 5 min walk. Lobby is a bit smallish but rooms and bathrooms are large. We booked with LHW and got a room upgrade, breakfast (great buffet spread, even though I'm not a buffet fan), and comp wifi. Service very attentive and accommodating.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
The Munich Kempinski (I trust that is not offensive to anyone?) is of course ideally convenient for strolling to the Staatsoper. And I have had very enjoyable stays at various Kempinskis (Aqaba, Red Sea, Dresden - slightly less so Dubai) so am well disposed to the brand.
If you are talking about the 'Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten' (or, with controversy, the Four Seasons hotel that is not a Four Seasons Hotel), the reviews are mixed. I hated it, but I was in a creaky non smoking room directly above the smoking lounge. I found the staff to be rude but Munich is in Germany. Others here claim that the suites on the higher floors are very good.

I liked the MO. I did not like Hotel Louis.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LR2013
+1 for the Charles, though it is a bit of a hike from central sites, the location is very quiet. It is near to the main train station, about 5 min walk. Lobby is a bit smallish but rooms and bathrooms are large. We booked with LHW and got a room upgrade, breakfast (great buffet spread, even though I'm not a buffet fan), and comp wifi. Service very attentive and accommodating.
Normally stay at the Charles. It´s not perfect but the suites are good and normally cost half the price of MO.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:16 am

The suites on the upper floors of Kempinski's Vier Jahreszeiten (interestingly, the only property in their group that they still own) were completely redesigned a few years back. I stayed in one of the suites. It was very modern and much better than the rest of the hotel, but nowhere near as good as MO or The Charles. The large bathroom mirror was held up by little pieces of wood, but maybe that was because it was so new. I hope so.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:35 pm

Interestingly, Four Seasons was named after Vier Jahreszeiten. It was suggested to Isadore Sharp as it was the finest hotel in Munich at that time. And while Four Seasons rose to fame, Vier Jahreszeiten became part of a rather mediocre chain.
The location is without doubt the best of all hotels in Munich, but I find the decor tacky. They were going for a more modern approach with the renovations, but so many odd design choices - I can't get over all the cheap prints resembling frescos in the rooms and public areas. You can literally count the pixels.

Last edited by scented; Feb 20, 2015 at 1:15 am
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by scented
Interestingly, Four Seasons was named after Vier Jahreszeiten. It was suggested to Isadore Sharp as it was the finest hotel in Munich at that time. And while Four Seasons rose to fame, Vier Jahreszeiten became part of a rather mediocre chain.
The location is without doubt the best of all hotels in Munich, but I find the decor tacky. They were going for a more modern approach with the renovations, but so many odd design choices - I can't get over all the cheap prints resembling frescos in the rooms and public areas. You can literally count the pixels.
Don't recall that in Isadore Sharp's book, but it sort of makes sense. Totally agree that the decor is a bit cheap. Such a pity as the location is great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.