FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Don't recall that in Isadore Sharp's book, but it sort of makes sense. Totally agree that the decor is a bit cheap. Such a pity as the location is great.
It's in the book, I'll try to find the exact page it's on.
Also:
He changed the name to Four Seasons after someone told him about a fine hotel in Munich called Vier Jahreszeiten, which translates as Four Seasons
http://www.hubmagazine.com/2009/05/07/four-seasons/
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:51 am

I just found it in the book! I had forgotten that. Thanks for the reminder.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have just checked into the Charles, in a junior suite, for the first time in 4 years.

I can report that the Rocco Forte cost accountants are in solid control. My evidence:

It seems that it is no longer possible for a guest to control the in-room temperature outside of a four degree C range. The default is 19-23C, but you can call the desk to ask for a different four degree C range. Of course, if you like a wider range over the course of the day, as I do, you will end up making a lot of calls to the front desk.

The room had 2 sets of towels (for two people) and one bar of soap. Apparently the default is to rotate soap between the shower and the washbasin. Fortunately, they were willing to bring more.

I asked to speak to the GM, but it's Saturday and he won't be back until Monday. The manager on duty couldn't care less about the situation, it was a fact of life to her and I should just get used to it.

This is not a promising start!

P.S. There are buttons on the phone labeled housekeeping, concierge, etc. So far none of the ones I have tried actually go to the relevant department, they all go to the hotel operator/front desk.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 12, 2015 at 9:33 am
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I have just checked into the Charles, in a junior suite, for the first time in 4 years.

I can report that the Rocco Forte cost accountants are in solid control. My evidence:

It seems that it is no longer possible for a guest to control the in-room temperature outside of a four degree C range. The default is 19-23C, but you can call the desk to ask for a different four degree C range. Of course, if you like a wider range over the course of the day, as I do, you will end up making a lot of calls to the front desk.

The room had 2 sets of towels (for two people) and one bar of soap. Apparently the default is to rotate soap between the shower and the washbasin. Fortunately, they were willing to bring more.

I asked to speak to the GM, but it's Saturday and he won't be back until Monday. The manager on duty couldn't care less about the situation, it was a fact of life to her and I should just get used to it.

This is not a promising start!
Will try the MO next time after staying frequently at Charles. Had the same Feeling at Charles I stayed last time (2013), you feel cost-cuts all the way. On the other Suite while a Classic Suite was 600 € in 2013 it´s over 1000 now. Too expensive for what you get in my eyes.....
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:42 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
Will try the MO next time after staying frequently at Charles. Had the same Feeling at Charles I stayed last time (2013), you feel cost-cuts all the way. On the other Suite while a Classic Suite was 600 € in 2013 it´s over 1000 now. Too expensive for what you get in my eyes.....
I came here from the MO after feeling they were too rule-bound there, but I have to say that the cutbacks are a real turnoff. I just had to call reception again to get the room temperature reduced. They say their maintenance people deny there is any way to fix it, which is total nonsense since every one of these systems has an override mode.

Edited to add the following summary of my 3 night stay:

Plusses -- concierge good, restaurant did well this time, room rate was a good deal

Neutral -- free internet can be slow or even block use during busy periods; paid internet is very pricey

Negative -- room cutbacks (thermostat limited, towel sets limited to 2 for a double room, soap beyond one small bar must be requested, TV set small in size, housekeeping service weak)

Didn't try room service this trip.

Overall, I'd say the cutbacks have made this a very good upscale hotel rather than a luxury one. I will quite possibly go back to trying the MO next time.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 14, 2015 at 3:42 am
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
I've jut finished a 2 night stay atThe Charles Hotel (Classic king room). I liked the hotel. The service was attentive and friendly from all employees I encountered.

The room was nice with a sofe, a chair and a work desk. As mentioned above the thermostat is still limited to a 4 degree range without having to ask the front desk for help. It was no problem for me though. The bathroom was big with both bathtub and a separate shower (had actually three set of towels, two soap bars and double set of amenities (shampoo, conditioner and shower gel) the last morning for one person).

I had both breakfast and dinner at the restaurant. The food was good. There is also a swimming pool and a gym connceted to the spa. I didn't try the swimming pool or spa but used the gym. Not big but if there are not many other there at the same time it is OK.

Last edited by broenor; Jul 22, 2015 at 12:53 pm
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
We stayed at the Charles for 3 nights in June. Overall very good and the location and the outside terrace are perfect in the Summer. The only issue we had was that breakfast was chaotic and disorganised on all three mornings. It may have been because everybody wanted to eat outside on the terrace as it was hot. This seemed to faze them. Tables were dirty, orders were incorrect and several people complained. When I stayed previously in the Winter this was not an issue.

There is a very nice Biergarten close to the hotel on the edge of the Botanischer Garten. It is not well known by tourists and the hotel does not seem to recommend it, but we found it nicer and more local in atmosphere than the more famous Biergarten.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Just back from a 3 night stay at The Charles. Service was good this time, no issues with cleaness etc. Dinner at Dawinero was pretty good, service also attentive and friendly. Breakfast is getting worse every time. It´s still OK, but nothing to write home about.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I recently stayed at the Charles during the Oktoberfest and really liked the hotel. I usually stay at the MO but it was fully booked so I followed the advice on this thread and decided to give the Charles a try. My Deluxe room was located on the fifth floor and boasted a nice view over the old botanical garden and the Frauenkirche. Breakfast was very good and the service attentive. The pool is great. It was a very enjoyable stay and I'll definitely return.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Kempinski Munich - LHW

Tried to book for next year on Leading Hotels of the World website lhw.com. Hotel appears but no dates available. On same dates many room types available via kempinski.com.

Has the contract been cancelled?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by submonte
Tried to book for next year on Leading Hotels of the World website lhw.com. Hotel appears but no dates available. On same dates many room types available via kempinski.com.

Has the contract been cancelled?
It's a Virtuoso property, why not book through that channel ?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:14 pm

I noticed a few changes at the hotel lately but I cannot recall any rumors around LHW. Might be a glitch - maybe dates aren't loaded just yet?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Kempinski Munich leaving LHW Jan 1st., 2016

Still sitting in the lobby lounge having High Tea. The time before Christmas it is the most beautiful location in Munich for me to relax and drink a glass of champagne, my wife tea, sharing an etagere with sandwiches and sweets like in London, the illuminated Christmas tree in the centre below the coloured Art Noveau style glas atrium, in grand hotel atmosphere, surrounded by voices of guests from all countries, and the live piano music from the connected bar lounge.

I highly recommend Munich visitors to come here during Christmas time, You will love it.

And yes, I asked a duty manager an hour ago. And the answer was, Kempinski Munich leaves LHW group Jan. 1st, 2016. For me it doesn' t matter. I will always be here before Christmas.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by submonte
The time before Christmas it is the most beautiful location in Munich ... the illuminated Christmas tree in the centre below the coloured Art Noveau style glas atrium, in grand hotel atmosphere, surrounded by voices of guests from all countries, and the live piano music ... I highly recommend Munich visitors to come here during Christmas time, You will love it.
This sounds lovely, and we will be in Munich next weekend. And while this thread and comments elsewhere - in conjunction with the rates - leave me leaning towards the Charles, at the very least we will drop by for a drink and to enjoy the Christmas atmosphere.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:00 pm

Do try Matsuhisa at the MO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.