Reload this Page >

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
My experience at both hotels
Four Seasons => fabulous service except terrible staff at reception desk.
Bvlgari => security a bit over zealous but overall service is improving fast. Butler service is excellent (so far Florentin & especially David were great in handling every request).
Pierre&Cédric, do you remember who didn't provide good service at the FS reception desk? I'm familiar with the team and curious who might not be providing the best service. This property has made tremendous strides since opening. I hope they eventually bring ticket buying for London shows in house. The company they contract with is expensive and pushes primarily bad shows. I really prefer to listen to a knowledgable Four Seasons concierge about what has been receiving great reviews and isn't paid to sell me a ticket.

For London pools, the best gym and pool is attached to the Four Seasons Canary Wharf. Its true this isn't exclusively Four Seasons guests, they are primarily executives from banks in the area, but the free classes are excellent, the pool for swimming lanes overlooks the Thames, as does the new cardio equipment. You might recognize the pool, its the pool in Skyfall.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:44 am

Vuittons, which do you consider the best hotel pool in London?
Bvlgari / Haymarket / Café Royal / Berkeley / One Aldwych / Connaught / Corinthia / another one?
Bvlgari pool is huge and really stylish. Café Royal is smaller but beautiful. Don't like Haymarket as the pool can double for corporate events, so gets shut down at times - also not as nice IMHO as it is a bit too 'mannered'. Berkeley is small. One Aldwych is not a good hotel, so size of pool is irrelevant. Corinthia is a good 4-star but not in same league as others.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Pierre&Cédric, do you remember who didn't provide good service at the FS reception desk?

For London pools, the best gym and pool is attached to the Four Seasons Canary Wharf.
I will send you a PM for your first question.
And thanks for advice on best hotel pool in London.
I guess Shangri-La pool will be terrific when it opens.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Bvlgari pool is huge and really stylish. Café Royal is smaller but beautiful. Don't like Haymarket as the pool can double for corporate events, so gets shut down at times - also not as nice IMHO as it is a bit too 'mannered'. Berkeley is small. One Aldwych is not a good hotel, so size of pool is irrelevant. Corinthia is a good 4-star but not in same league as others.
Thank you!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One Aldwych is not a good hotel, so size of pool is irrelevant.
Really? I have found recently it is quite good- including my stay there last week. Location is also walking distance to many corporate offices or a very short car ride- which is convenient.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Really? I have found recently it is quite good- including my stay there last week. Location is also walking distance to many corporate offices or a very short car ride- which is convenient.
Oh, I agree the location is convenient for many corporate offices - I was judging it purely on its quality as a hotel.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I agree the location is convenient for many corporate offices - I was judging it purely on its quality as a hotel.
I must have been quite fortunate recently as I received very good service, a nice room, a good breakfast, and LHW benefits. The staff were very good and the room was also better than some other luxury options I have seen in London (though obviously not all).
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I must have been quite fortunate recently as I received very good service, a nice room, a good breakfast, and LHW benefits. The staff were very good and the room was also better than some other luxury options I have seen in London (though obviously not all).
Interesting! I think you were probably rather fortunate, but good to know that staff is up to par.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:54 am

Interesting that Gordon Ramsay is closing his restaurant at Claridge's in June after lease renewal talks failed.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
IC Westminster

I'm at the new Intercontinental Westminster and attended the gala grand opening last night and I can safely say that this hotel belongs on most any London luxury list. I'm in a studio suite which resembles the design of the rooms at the FS London. Huge bathroom and very nicely appointed. Very nice Club on the 1st floor with excellent service and offerings. ^
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:43 am

I cannot make any detailed review because I was not there, but Pierre tried Café Royal last week. Hard product is excellent (especially bathrooms), even if the rooms have a 'bare' look. Some additional pieces of decoration would make them warmer (especially on the walls). But service was disappointing, they still need to make big improvements. Nothing wrong in particular, but very average overall.

So this week he was back to Bvlgari.:-:
It's quite strange in fact because the first time we went there he was very reluctant. And now it is his favorite by far, exceeding FSPL.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I cannot make any detailed review because I was not there, but Pierre tried Café Royal last week. Hard product is excellent (especially bathrooms), even if the rooms have a 'bare' look. Some additional pieces of decoration would make them warmer (especially on the walls). But service was disappointing, they still need to make big improvements. Nothing wrong in particular, but very average overall.

So this week he was back to Bvlgari.:-:
It's quite strange in fact because the first time we went there he was very reluctant. And now it is his favorite by far, exceeding FSPL.
It seems a trend nowadays. New posh 5-star luxury hotels that spend lavishing on renovation hoping to impress guests with beautifully furnished rooms, but without the proper training or personnel to provide guests with good service, like the Cafe Royal mentioned above. Quite pointless in the end. I will however, include Bvlgari London into that list as well. Made a reservation, email the Concierge for some advice, chase and chase and only reply after 3 weeks, but gave the wrong information. Email the Manager to complain, not bother to reply as well. Give up and told my agent to cancel the booking. Now he is chasing them for the confirmation of cancelation! Unbelievable.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
It seems a trend nowadays. New posh 5-star luxury hotels that spend lavishing on renovation hoping to impress guests with beautifully furnished rooms, but without the proper training or personnel to provide guests with good service, like the Cafe Royal mentioned above. Quite pointless in the end. I will however, include Bvlgari London into that list as well. Made a reservation, email the Concierge for some advice, chase and chase and only reply after 3 weeks, but gave the wrong information. Email the Manager to complain, not bother to reply as well. Give up and told my agent to cancel the booking. Now he is chasing them for the confirmation of cancelation! Unbelievable.
Café Royal is at a VERY soft opening stage. Service, I am sure, will improve given that the GM is Luis Sailer. The suites, once open, have many more decorative features and should be spectacular. I had an excellent experience there - also at Bvlgari.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Café Royal is at a VERY soft opening stage. Service, I am sure, will improve given that the GM is Luis Sailer. The suites, once open, have many more decorative features and should be spectacular. I had an excellent experience there - also at Bvlgari.
The review last week in the Financial Times of the restaurant trashed it to a level I have not seen in a few years coming from them.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:57 am

I wanted to bring everyone's attention to The Wellesley Hotel, located in Knightsbridge. Haven't seen any posts about it on the forum, so thought I would let you all know (in case you don't already). It opened recently, this past December, after a £40 million renovation. For those of you familiar, it was the former location of the famous "Pizza on the Park" restaurant which was open for years and famous for their jazz lounge. The Wellesley have done an absolutely amazing job restoring it into a 1920's style art deco hotel, only 36 rooms (mostly suites) all done up to the highest quality (designed by Fox Linton). It offers contemporary luxury, traditional glamour and uncompromising service in one of London’s most prestigious locations. The whole idea around the hotel is to make it London's first 6 star property, and I am certain that with time they can most definitely achieve this.

They offer 24 hour Butler service, Wellesley Rolls Royce courtesy drop off (Custom made Rolls, at your service), your own personal tablet – every aspect has been considered and is to the utmost quality. Every suite bears the name of a legendary figure from the ‘roaring’ era – Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Rudolph Valentino, Josephine Baker, to name a few. Glamorous pictures of personalities such Marlene Dietrich grace the small, intimate hallways.

Not to forget, in keeping with the traditions of the past, they have a wonderful jazz lounge with live jazz acts Thursday to Saturday nights (starting at 10:30pm), a fine dining (very intimate) Italian restaurant, and two cigar terraces at the front of the hotel where you can sit outside no matter what the weather and feel like it's 25 degrees...ultimate luxury.

Rates are high (they are still offering post-opening welcome rates), but it is all worth it as the service is second to none and truly worth staying a night or even just stopping by for a cocktail and some jazz.

Miss Brigitte
Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by missbrigitte
I wanted to bring everyone's attention to The Wellesley Hotel, located in Knightsbridge. Haven't seen any posts about it on the forum, so thought I would let you all know (in case you don't already). It opened recently, this past December, after a £40 million renovation. For those of you familiar, it was the former location of the famous "Pizza on the Park" restaurant which was open for years and famous for their jazz lounge.
Thank you missbrigitte and welcome to Flyertalk.

I was a fan and regular customer of Pizza on the Park and disappointed to see it go. But the location is luxury mecca in London and I hope to try out this hotel some day soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.