Luxury hotel reviews in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:47 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
London is never really that cold.

If you wrote you were headed to Helsinki for the winter- OK- that is one thing.

It is 37 F this morning early in London- not wonderful however not too brutal either.

Personally some cities including Paris, London, and Milan are somehow more interesting in the winter.
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
I "like" winter (just for a short period of time, however). I find places take on a certain charm, especially around the holidays. I couldn't picture myself living full-time in a place that doesn't have all four seasons.
Helsinki

Anyone been to/ stayed at the newly re opened Cafe Royal, London?
How does it compare to hotels mentioned.
When do the Regent street decorations come down?

Thanks much
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:21 pm

Any updates on the Dorchester ?
What's the room quality like and are they starting renovations after the opening of 45 park lane .
Appreciate comments and updates.
Thanks !
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:20 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by bearbrick
Any updates on the Dorchester ?
What's the room quality like and are they starting renovations after the opening of 45 park lane .
Appreciate comments and updates.
Thanks !
The Dorchester is updating certain of its rooms via a soft goods reno (new fabrics, carpets, wallpaper, etc). When I stayed here in March 2012 they had just completed the first set of rooms and were about to embark on the second set. IIRC, about a third of the inventory should have the more contemporary schemes.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Helsinki

Anyone been to/ stayed at the newly re opened Cafe Royal, London?
How does it compare to hotels mentioned.
When do the Regent street decorations come down?

Thanks much
Wait until March to stay at Café Royal as the spa is not yet open. It's going to be an incredible hotel. I really liked it even at this early stage.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by luxury
The Dorchester is updating certain of its rooms via a soft goods reno (new fabrics, carpets, wallpaper, etc). When I stayed here in March 2012 they had just completed the first set of rooms and were about to embark on the second set. IIRC, about a third of the inventory should have the more contemporary schemes.
Thks Luxury. May be tempted to give it a try again
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Wait until March to stay at Café Royal as the spa is not yet open. It's going to be an incredible hotel. I really liked it even at this early stage.
Thanks, sounds a decent possibility , will check it out next time.

Decided on 11 Cadogan Gardens as the base this time as needed to be in the vicinity. Was probably in the largest ' suite ' at the back facing the mews. Many of the other rooms/ suites likely a bit ' iffy ' for this forum - size / facilities wise . Cosy small homey ' boutique ' hotel.
Helpful staff and the head concierge ( Richie ) & team ( including Wills) was able to deliver on requests even pre- trip.

It was definitely warm at 0 C in London & after no aerobridge/link at HEL / IVL . Temps at - 4 ( balmy to Finns/ Sami ) to - 26 C where we were !!

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 22, 2013 at 8:46 am Reason: Added info
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:50 pm

My new favorite is Bvlgari.
I still love Four Seasons but they lack a pool.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
If a pool is important One Aldwych is a very good choice.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Covent Garden Hotel fits the bill, I think.
+1 Love this place.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
It is so sad, that Four Seasons has no pool!

Service and views at FS are much better than at Bvlgari with their partly quite bad trained staff - but when I stay at a luxury hotel, I definitely need a pool of at least 20m to swim proper laps. That's why FS sadly falls out of my list.

So it has to be Bvlgari with its service problems or Haymarket Hotel with its very noisy and touristy location. But both with fabulous pools...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Will be visiting London in March. Due to short visit and dinner arrangement, we'd like to stay in Mayfair. We currently have a virtuoso booking with the Connaught, but really can't decide between the Connaught or the Claridge's.
I've read some reviews on this forum (albeit quite old ones) that Claridge's rooms are in a need of refurbishment. Also one TA review stated that main entrance is under renovations. Any updates on that?
Good bar is a must (need to host some friends one evening). Well, both hotels have great bars, so that does not help in decision making. Claridge's Art deco lobby looks attractive, but so does the Connaughts more intimate interior.

It will be midweek, would there be any difference with the virtuoso upgrade chanches?

Could someone here help me with my decision. Surely both hotels are great. Maybe I should just flip a coin...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by deer

Service and views at FS are much better than at Bvlgari with their partly quite bad trained staff - but when I stay at a luxury hotel, I definitely need a pool of at least 20m to swim proper laps. That's why FS sadly falls out of my list.

So it has to be Bvlgari with its service problems or Haymarket Hotel with its very noisy and touristy location. But both with fabulous pools...
Café Royal's pool is definitely worth waiting for - should be open by April, although they hope for March. Love Bvlgari's pool, and I think service there is improving.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:57 am

Café Royal's pool is definitely worth waiting for - should be open by April, although they hope for March. Love Bvlgari's pool, and I think service there is improving.
Vuittons, which do you consider the best hotel pool in London?
Bvlgari / Haymarket / Café Royal / Berkeley / One Aldwych / Connaught / Corinthia / another one?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by deer

Do you mind to elaborate what is wrong with Bvlgari's service and how is it inferior when compared to the Four Seasons? I am a bit concerned because I have booked an upcoming stay there later this year.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Do you mind to elaborate what is wrong with Bvlgari's service and how is it inferior when compared to the Four Seasons? I am a bit concerned because I have booked an upcoming stay there later this year.
My experience at both hotels
Four Seasons => fabulous service except terrible staff at reception desk.
Bvlgari => security a bit over zealous but overall service is improving fast. Butler service is excellent (so far Florentin & especially David were great in handling every request).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.