Luxury hotel reviews in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:57 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Concierge at Stafford is very strong... But they don't really offer views. Be mindful that Corinthia, Claridge & Connaught add the VAT on top of their room rates still.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hedur
Right now I'm leaning towards 45 Park Lane or Corinthia. I know the latter isn't as highly rated here but I love the look of the rooms.

Guidance welcome!
Out of your list- and with view being the highest valued criteria- I would actually lean towards a room with a view at the Savoy as you should have a wonderful Thames view from there that would be difficult to replicate at the other hotels on your list.

If view was not a criteria- then I would lean towards the Connaught as I think it offers a very good balance and relatively good value considering London and the areas you want to stay in.

Which areas are you planning to eat in? If closer to the area of Covent Garden and/or the City then it should be quite easy to decide. If in the West End then a choice there would make no sense.

I am thinking of nice rooms I have stayed in within London which charged less than 750 GBP/night with a balcony which is anything to speak of and for the life of me the only hotel I remember that even came close to having a nice balcony was not in the luxury category- although the suite was quite good at the Zetter (top floor suites with balconies)- you can see over to Spitalfields which from a historical point of view is somewhat interesting and certainly there are a number go good restaurants around Farringdon.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
To be honest, I would book a suite at the Hyatt Churchill (if you have upgrades available). Service is good and there is balcony with a view from 9th floor suites. Then, buy hospitality tickets for the football game to guarantee a seat. Concierge may be able to help but have never asked anything so no idea if any good. However, hospitality is usually available even at last minute.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:39 pm

In your list I would opt for the 45 Park Lane but I never tried it.

Pierre went 2 or 3 times to Corinthia for work and he was quite happy with it. Not the same league as FSPL or Bvlgari but still a solid choice with excellent hard product & convenient location.

I would avoid the Savoy, it is the worst we tried in London (their dress code even in the lobby was discussed several times, and attitude of the staff is ).
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
Be mindful that Corinthia, Claridge & Connaught add the VAT on top of their room rates still.
Valuable info. Thank you.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Out of your list- and with view being the highest valued criteria- I would actually lean towards a room with a view at the Savoy as you should have a wonderful Thames view from there that would be difficult to replicate at the other hotels on your list.
I would consider the Savoy but the comments about dress code have put me off slightly. This is a last minute, one small carry-on kind of trip for me so I will definitely not have anything all that dressy to wear. In fact I think my only pair of shoes will be my Doc Marten boots so if there was a good chance I would feel out of place, I'd rather skip it.

Which areas are you planning to eat in? If closer to the area of Covent Garden and/or the City then it should be quite easy to decide. If in the West End then a choice there would make no sense.
To be honest, because this is last minute I haven't researched anything yet (very unlike me!). I figured as long as I'm somewhat centrally located, I'll be able to find places wherever I end up.

Originally Posted by price123
To be honest, I would book a suite at the Hyatt Churchill (if you have upgrades available). Service is good and there is balcony with a view from 9th floor suites. Then, buy hospitality tickets for the football game to guarantee a seat. Concierge may be able to help but have never asked anything so no idea if any good. However, hospitality is usually available even at last minute.
Thanks for the info about hospitality tickets. As this will be my first Premiere League game in person, I wasn't aware of them.

The 9th floor Hyatt suites look great but I do not have the ability to upgrade with them. Also, I try to stay with FHR because I value the included breakfast and late check out.

The reason view is important is because when I travel solo I tend not to go out after dinner. That means I'll have a few hours of hotel time before bed and there's nothing better than spending that time gazing at the city lights. That's the sole reason why, in Tokyo, I enjoyed the PH more than the Peninsula. Having said that, I don't want to miss out on an otherwise great hotel experience just because it doesn't have the best view so I'm open to other options.

Is there anyone who would go with the FS PL even when it's possible to get a free night elsewhere? Just wondering how deep the love for this hotel goes around here.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Pierre went 2 or 3 times to Corinthia for work and he was quite happy with it. Not the same league as FSPL or Bvlgari but still a solid choice with excellent hard product & convenient location.
What about it puts it in a lower league? Service?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:46 pm

What about it puts it in a lower league? Service?
He felt Corinthia was targeting business customers. Service was good but less personalised, more 'mechanic', breakfast was served in a large big room. It is still an excellent hotel and depending on the time you plan to spend at the hotel itself and depending on whether you plan to use the facilities or not is a great option.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:25 pm

I'm trying to pick a hotel for next week and, even after reading through multiple threads here on London hotels, I'm not much closer to a conclusion.

I'd like to stick to hotels offering a free night through FHR right now. Here's the list (unfortunately FS PL isn't on it or my decision would already be made):

45 Park Lane
Baglioni
Claridge's
Corinthia
Rocce Forte Brown's
Berkeley
Connaught
Dorchester
Goring
Langham
Milestone
Savoy
Stafford

For me, the most important thing is having a decent city view. A balcony is a plus. Next on the list is great service (including concierge because I'm going to want tickets to at least one football game next weekend). Food at the hotel is not as important as I plan on eating out most of the time. I don't want to go over $1000/night so, for most of these hotels, I'm looking at booking one or two categories below a suite.

Right now I'm leaning towards 45 Park Lane or Corinthia. I know the latter isn't as highly rated here but I love the look of the rooms.

Guidance welcome!
The only ones that really offer views are going to be the Savoy and those facing Hyde Park. The others are just in among other buildings. And personally, I don't really put much stock in the FS PL, so I don't think you should get hung up on it.

Are you trying to see a specific match, or just go to a game? Even hospitality tickets will be long sold out by this time for a big match this weekend. But if you aren't picky it shouldn't be an issue, though I'd not really think you'd go to a concierge for this, just go to viagogo.com or a team website, these are the only legitimate EPL resellers. Prepare to spend copious money as well if it's a big draw, my Chelsea - Galastaray tickets last Tues were over 600 dollars each since Drogba was back at the Bridge.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Are you trying to see a specific match, or just go to a game?
The US goalkeeper, Tim Howard, plays for Everton so it'd be great to catch the Fulham game on Sunday. And/or the Arsenal match on Saturday (yes I would actually go to both ).

My only experience with seeing top notch leagues in person was a couple of Bayern Munich games last year. The concierge at the MO was always able to get me great seats (for a price) so I figured the same would be possible in London. I'll check out viagogo though.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Not on list but how about MOHP ?
Definitely views of Hyde Park or Knightsbridge & very nice Dinner , F & B , etc

Not quite luxury ( perhaps only certain rooms ) but with decent restaurants / views over Hyde Park / Kensington Gardens
- The Milestone , on list
- Royal Garden Hotel
Must say besides the view , the Peking duck at Minjiang was surprisingly excellent
FYI , since football mentioned , sports / football teams tend to stay here
Encountered various teams ..

Our family have enjoyed all 3 .. Stayed for the views & location / decent concierge .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 23, 2014 at 4:16 pm Reason: Decided to share info
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I've done solo trips to the Corinthia (once), 45 Park Lane (twice) and Connaught (many times). On your criteria, I'd probably go with 45 Park Lane for the views of Hyde Park. Bear in mind, these aren't like having views of Big Ben or the Thames, but better than the other two. The rooms at 45 Park Lane are probably the best of the three as well; FHR dining credit is generous too. Between the concierge there or across the street at the Dorchester, I'm sure you can get into a match.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:19 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input thus far. I think 45 Park Lane is the frontrunner. I see that they have Executive rooms on the 8th floor with balconies. It's slightly over budget but I'm ok with that because of third night free. Is there another room category I should be considering instead? None of the Studio Suites have balconies, correct?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:08 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
The rooms at 45 Park Lane are probably the best of the three as well; FHR dining credit is generous too.
Agree with the 45 Park Lane rooms - they are beautiful. Better than the FHR credit is the Dorchester Collection "Diamond Club" credit — a daily 100£ hotel credit (can be applied to your bill). See the full description here.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:28 pm
BLV

Absolutely agree re: 45 Park Lane's room being described as beautiful. Typing from one this very moment and very happy that I switched from my original reservation, which was for Dorchester.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:51 pm

The US goalkeeper, Tim Howard, plays for Everton so it'd be great to catch the Fulham game on Sunday. And/or the Arsenal match on Saturday (yes I would actually go to both ).

My only experience with seeing top notch leagues in person was a couple of Bayern Munich games last year. The concierge at the MO was always able to get me great seats (for a price) so I figured the same would be possible in London. I'll check out viagogo though.
Ah, yeah, a Fulham tilt should not be a problem.

I just learned my tailor is a Fulham supporter, I bought another suit out of sympathy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.