Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Oh, don't mention it. I appreciate you taking the time. I really would like ot dig up the motivation to post more on my stays.

I highly recommend Browns. Right in Mayfair, nicely updated rooms, great service. Very consistent. I will be there in a couple weeks, will try and do a little report and photos for you.

Fantastic pictures as well of The Berkeley.
Thanks for your compliments regarding the review and photos.

I can't wait to read your review about the Browns, plus your photos too.

Thanks again. Safe travels and enjoy your stay. ^
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
fun n games at Claridge's

according to the NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/bu...pgtype=article
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by taipeipeter
Claridges is a caricature of itself at this point.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:24 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Jan. / Feb. 2014 Pret-a-Portea @ the Caramel Room || Berkeley Hotel || London:

Having heard so many good things about the Pret-a-Portea at The Berkeley we decided to try it while we were staying there.

See also our review.

The tea was served at the Caramel Room, which was designed by Alexandra Champalimaud. We booked online at the hotel's website ca. 4 weeks before. We were lucky seatings were still available on Friday afternoon, but Saturday and Sunday were already booked out.

We chose consciousiously the seating at 16.30 hours, because we were checking out at the Intercontinental Park Lane (see also review) the same day and wanted to make sure we could check in at The Berkeley, photograph the room and make ourselves fresh. It was perfectly timed.

The Pret-a-Portea was originally created in 2005 to bring in shoppers from the surrounding Knightsbridge/Mayfair area. It was only planned to be temporary, but the tea was such a success it stayed for good.

As the name suggests Pret-a-Portea is fashion inspired, so there is a spring/summer and autumn/winter "collection".

We had to wait a bit before our table was ready. There was a name sign in the shape of a pink high heel marking it.

We had a table in the middle of the room.

The clientele was international.

Our waitress explained to us how the afternoon tea functioned since it was our first time we took part. We could have from everything second or more helpings and we could even try different teas or have refills. We were also asked for any food intolerances or allergies.

We chose Amazing Apple and Pear Caramel Tea. One of us enjoyed also a glass of Laurent Perrier Rose Champagne.

The china was designed by Paul Smith - a perfect fit to the exhibition ["Hello, My Name is Paul Smith"] we did visit at the Design Museum during our stay at the Berkeley Hotel.

First arrived the sandwiches - all were fantastic and since they were so tasty we asked for another round of the egg and ham sandwiches. They were our favourites.

One bread type was especially unusual it was made with beetroot. Another one was lemon flavoured. The shapes were round and squared.

Next were the savouries - no scones - BBQ roast duck tartlets, goats cheese, chilled water cress soup, chestnut panna cotta and marinated sword fish.

Everything was great. The chilled water cress soup and the goats cheese were our favourites.

The highlight was of course the sweets. There was a Burberry Trench Coat, a Giovanni Rossi over the knee boot ginger bread, an Emporio Armani and Jean Paul Gaultier inspired cream/mousse, a Saint Laurent Victoria Sponge Cake bag, a Vivienne Westwood macaroon, a Miu Miu Polka Dot Jaconde and Gianduia Mousse, a Giles Sacher Torte and an Oscar de la Renta Orange Bavarois. All was decadent, creative and full in flavour.

Stand outs were the Emporio Armani violet cassis mousse with light Curacao jelly and the Jean Paul Gaultier gold quilted banana and caramel cremeaux and passion fruit compote.

It was amazing and we were totally spoiled, getting second helpings from everything and even though we said we were fine the staff double checked there wasn't really a need for third servings. It was the most generous afternoon tea we ever had.

The staff was always there when needed, engaging and passionate - finding just the right balance between being professional and warm, but discreet. You could see they enjoyed what they were doing and seemed sad to see us go.

We received two little carton handbags filled with a few more goodies as present before leaving.

Cost was 108 GBP (ca. 130.50 Euro / ca. 180.80 USD) including service charge - time and money well spent.

We would recommend the Pret-a-Portea highly. It's unique, tasty and inspirational.

Would we recommend this Afternoon Tea to a friend? YES!^
Would we again partake at this Afternoon Tea in the future? YES!^

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Claridges is a caricature of itself at this point.
That may be, but it offers a very pleasant experience and a perfect location for travelers willing to pay UKP 400 for a room. I don't really care who is fighting over ownership of the building.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:16 am

I just saw that 'Il Ristorante' at Bvlgari London will close to be replaced in May by 'Rivea London' by Alain Ducasse.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Larry Siegel
That may be, but it offers a very pleasant experience and a perfect location for travelers willing to pay UKP 400 for a room. I don't really care who is fighting over ownership of the building.
I don't care who owns it either. I am referring to it being basically a seen and been seen for the noveaus who don't realize they are getting a stylized version of what England used to be.

It's a perfectly fine hotel, and the room cost is in line with all the better places in town. It's just a put on in terms of ambiance.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:09 pm
BLV

Any recent experiences with spa treatments at the 45 Park Lane? Particularly facials & massages. Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by BLV
Any recent experiences with spa treatments at the 45 Park Lane? Particularly facials & massages. Thanks.
We recently stayed at 45 Park Lane over Valentines Day weekend. It was our first stay at the property and we had an amazing stay in a Park Lane Suite. No experience of spa treatments but we tried using the spa at the Dorchester and I wasn't impressed. The changing rooms are dark and dingy. Also, all the facilities apart from the 'relaxation room' were separate so there was no point in using them. I went and 'relaxed' in our suite instead!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I just saw that 'Il Ristorante' at Bvlgari London will close to be replaced in May by 'Rivea London' by Alain Ducasse.
I know - I think this is a real pity as Il Ristorante had some of the best Italian cuisine in London - very authentic indeed. It was my favourite part of the hotel!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by BLV
45 Park Lane does not have its own spa - you have to go over the road to The Dorchester. Best spa in London is the tiny AmanSpa at The Connaught.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:49 am
BLV

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
45 Park Lane does not have its own spa - you have to go over the road to The Dorchester. Best spa in London is the tiny AmanSpa at The Connaught.
Oh, boy. I guess I'm scratching that idea. Like I want to be hotel-hopping after massage & facial

Thanks, V.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BLV
Oh, boy. I guess I'm scratching that idea. Like I want to be hotel-hopping after massage & facial

Thanks, V.
They are literally right across from each other (separated by a very small low traffic street- I would call it a lane). If however you don't want to deal with that- then the Connaught option is an excellent one as it is in the area and has a great spa (although small). Four Seasons is also just next door (two hotels down) and has a very nice spa on the top floor following their recent updates.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Four Seasons is also just next door (two hotels down) and has a very nice spa on the top floor following their recent updates.
+1, my wife really liked it
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I know - I think this is a real pity as Il Ristorante had some of the best Italian cuisine in London - very authentic indeed. It was my favourite part of the hotel!
Ah, more bland celebrity hotel restaurants taking over cities? Very unimaginative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.