Reload this Page >

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:03 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I will suggest another hotel in London, The Capital in Kensington, close to Harrods. The hotel is a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the world and the restaurant has 2 stars (I think) in the Michellin-guide. I LOVED the atmosphere at the hotel. This is an old property and they have proper keys, not key-card. Not once I had to ask for the key, they always remembered me and had the key ready when I arrived. The door-man always "small-talked" with me and asked when he could expect me home. I never felt this as something I had to answer or "fulfill" it just felt like he cared. Like he said: "A young woman alone in the big city etc..." I had a suit and it was almost too big for me alone. The rooms are "old-fashioned" but in a good way. The suits have Molton Brown and Corres toiletries, lots of...

For me a luxury hotel is very much about the service and the atmosphere. I stayed at The Goring last year, but never got the good feeling like I got at The Capital. The door-man never said a word to me, nor did the people in the reception, unless the day I checked in and the day I checked out. I was disappointed at this hotel as I had heard good things about it. For me, as a single woman, the location wasn't the best either.

xxx
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:40 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by no-backpacker
I will suggest another hotel in London, The Capital in Kensington, close to Harrods.
If it's close to Harrods it will most likely be in Knightsbridge. And yes, a great location.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by QF Lad
If it's close to Harrods it will most likely be in Knightsbridge. And yes, a great location.
Yes, it's in Knightsbridge, not Kensington.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:48 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Oh, sorry. Yes, Knightsbridge is right! :-)
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:47 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I have heard that the Capital Hotel serve a wonderful afternoon tea -- I haven't had the chance to try it yet but perhaps on our next London visit I may try it out (both the hotel and the tea!!)
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
A little more info: http://www.hotelsmag.com/article/CA6676801.html

Sounds like it's going to be pretty nice. I wonder what kind of restaurant they will have.
Thank you for the very interesting link!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:34 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Claridge's

I ignored DavidO's comments on the rooms at Claridge's to my detriment. I booked a Superior King and was given (to judge by the size) a Deluxe King. The web pictures look so alluring with the subtle, sophisticated colour schemes and individual art deco details.

In reality we got a room in which the dominating element was dun coloured curtains that completely negated the otherwise pleasantly upbeat colour scheme. The "courtyard" view is pretty grim but it would have been nice if the curtains had opened more fully to allow in more light. At some stage there must have been tie-backs - the hooks are still there - but they have disappeared.

The room was riddled with evidence of poor maintenance. The light coloured carpet had a big brown stain at the entrance to the bedroom, the top of the credenza had a rough patch (something too hot put down there?), the cupboard doors have been touched up with not-quite-matching cream paint, the silvering on the bathroom mirrors is peeling off on the edges, one mirror screw has lost its decorative cover... Generally very disappointing. (Perhaps those luxurious, newly decorated suites are better but I can't afford them.)

I did like the quality bed linens, the towels and bathrobes and especially the slippers. Also the Asprey Purple Water toiletries.

The corridors are also not as well maintained or decorated as they might be and are not nearly as attractive as they are on the pictures. The beautiful blue carpets show stains very quickly and even when just the pile is disturbed look disconcertingly as if they are dirty.

On the other hand the refurbished lobby area is an absolute gem, from the carpets and fabrics to the Chihuly chandelier. The tea was splendid and the breakfasts really good. Loved the crockery and the tiered silver dumb waiters.

Service all round was excellent - faultless, in fact.

Bottom line: I won't be in a hurry to stay here again but will jump at the opportunity to have their tea or breakfast.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:39 am

Claridge's

This exactly mirrors my last experience of Claridge's, but I did stay in one of their top suites and was just as dismayed by the standard of maintenance (scuffed furniture, frayed upholstery).

Service is brilliant here, as are the public areas, but once you are in the rooms/suites, you wish you had booked somewhere else. I would never stay here again unless I was assured they had truly refurbished everything.

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I ignored DavidO's comments on the rooms at Claridge's to my detriment. I booked a Superior King and was given (to judge by the size) a Deluxe King. The web pictures look so alluring with the subtle, sophisticated colour schemes and individual art deco details.

In reality we got a room in which the dominating element was dun coloured curtains that completely negated the otherwise pleasantly upbeat colour scheme. The "courtyard" view is pretty grim but it would have been nice if the curtains had opened more fully to allow in more light. At some stage there must have been tie-backs - the hooks are still there - but they have disappeared.

The room was riddled with evidence of poor maintenance. The light coloured carpet had a big brown stain at the entrance to the bedroom, the top of the credenza had a rough patch (something too hot put down there?), the cupboard doors have been touched up with not-quite-matching cream paint, the silvering on the bathroom mirrors is peeling off on the edges, one mirror screw has lost its decorative cover... Generally very disappointing. (Perhaps those luxurious, newly decorated suites are better but I can't afford them.)

I did like the quality bed linens, the towels and bathrobes and especially the slippers. Also the Asprey Purple Water toiletries.

The corridors are also not as well maintained or decorated as they might be and are not nearly as attractive as they are on the pictures. The beautiful blue carpets show stains very quickly and even when just the pile is disturbed look disconcertingly as if they are dirty.

On the other hand the refurbished lobby area is an absolute gem, from the carpets and fabrics to the Chihuly chandelier. The tea was splendid and the breakfasts really good. Loved the crockery and the tiered silver dumb waiters.

Service all round was excellent - faultless, in fact.

Bottom line: I won't be in a hurry to stay here again but will jump at the opportunity to have their tea or breakfast.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
...I did stay in one of their top suites and was just as dismayed by the standard of maintenance (scuffed furniture, frayed upholstery).

...unless I was assured they had truly refurbished everything.
which suite?

http://www.departures.com/articles/t...n-of-claridges
linley suites were redone in 2007. still expensive, but rates have dropped.
£1550 linley classic 90m2
£1750 linley couture 90m2
£2250 2br linley couture 151m2

http://traveler.fivestaralliance.com...-at-claridges/
original 2007 pricing - 1BR £2500 / 2BR £3250

http://www.maybourne.com/uploadedFil..._Claridges.pdf
according to that, seems like some of the claridges suites, and the royal suite were also redone by linley.

related - for dior fans >
http://www.maybourne.com/uploadedFil...ior.pdf?n=8433
http://www.claridges.co.uk/dior.aspx
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:35 am

The Halkin

Had the good fourtune of shacking up at the Halkin on Sunday night. Stunning hotel.

Just thought i would lay down some praise for it. It is like a mix between a Mandarin Orient and a W hotel
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:54 am

[QUOTE=Kagehitokiri;12827078]which suite?

The Brook Penthouse, but it was quite a while ago. Looks the same from the website, but maybe they have re-upholstered the furniture. I do hope so.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:31 am

We will be visiting London in June. Since Four Seasons London won't be open until the end of the year we will probably stay at the Dochester as it has received many positive reviews here. btw, does anyone know when will Savoy re-open?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
We will be visiting London in June. Since Four Seasons London won't be open until the end of the year we will probably stay at the Dochester as it has received many positive reviews here. btw, does anyone know when will Savoy re-open?
I have always had problems with The Dorchester. Rooms/suites are OK, but service can be very inconsistent.

They keep changing the opening date of the Savoy, due to various construction problems that keep being discovered, but we think it could be April or May....

I would opt for The Covent Garden Hotel - by far the best option whilst FS London is still closed.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:58 pm

We tried the Connaught last week-end, and thanks to your advice Vuittonsofstyle we stayed in the new wing. It was very nice, with up-to-date and modern equipments. The bathroom was fantastic (giant rain shower head, large tub, etc.). But I still prefer the Lannesborough.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 6:00 am

The Goring is simply the best hotel in London. It's classy, relaxed, refined and historic. The staff are better than any hotel i have ever stayed at. They all seem like they are proud to work there and are allowed to show their personalities. A wonderful place.

A far cry from some of these modern 5 star chain monstrosities that although mostly efficient, lack personality, class, personal touch and they all seem the same to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.