Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Does anyone have any comments on Langham in London?

I know full well it's not in the same league as the Dorchester etc, but it's available really, really cheaply so I wondered what it is like (although cheap may mean bad news...).
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
I stayed in a Langham Junior Suite once, about 5 years ago, when it was still a Hilton and I was really positively surprised. Very good value for money.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-reopened.html

it would be nice if they eventually fixed FT search
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:57 am

Thanks for fast answering. Two rooms are too expensive for us. So I have to look for another Hotel nearby LHR.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:26 am

The Langham

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Does anyone have any comments on Langham in London?

I know full well it's not in the same league as the Dorchester etc, but it's available really, really cheaply so I wondered what it is like (although cheap may mean bad news...).
Stayed recently. They have done a really good job on the refurbishment of the public areas and restaurants - less so with the rooms. You need to take at least a Grand Junior Suite on the top floor (not the ones on lower floors which are soulless). Bathrooms are tiny. Best option is a Grand 1-bedroom suite - all three on the corner of the building. These are very acceptable.

Food is poor in the restaurant but service is very good. The bar is brilliant and so is the Palm Court which does a good afternoon tea.

Location is perfect but I would not stay again.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thanks TrophyCollector, Kagehitokiri and vuittonsofstyle for your input.

Vuittonofstyle - it doesn't sound promising, especially because I do not like small bathrooms.

I think I might stick to the devil(s) I know, unless I decide to stay in a suite. I might go there for an afternoon tea though.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 7:35 pm

Any insight on what the FS London will be like? What time frame next year will it open?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 9:10 am

Forgot to ask, who owns the FS London property?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting questions.

did it close in sept or oct? saw one thing that said 18 months, that would be march or april.

kingdom sold FS london for $147MM shortly after taking FS private.

so new owner did renovations less than a year later. cant seem to find any PR.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
FS London is totally on schedule. They have been in the process of demolishing the interiors (finished early February) and have now started building. This includes the roof, which is currently wreathed in scaffolding, as is the rest of the building.

The original plan was to create a new 10th floor, which would contain 2 vitality pools (one for men, one for women), plus a lounge, gym and early arrivals suite. Nothing has changed!! The original scheme is all going ahead and is on schedule.

This up-date is as of today.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 26, 2009 at 12:29 pm
Old Jul 26, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
When I was in London a few weeks ago I also visited Dukes and the Stafford (very near each other).

I wasn't impressed with Dukes. The rooms and suites were just too small for me to be able to appreciate them. The decor was also too sparse for my taste.

The Stafford was beautiful with lovely antiques in the public spaces and very friendly service (there were two clef's d'or at the concierge desk). I was shown their new junior suites and full suites in the mews and was impressed with their decor and size. The bathrooms in particular were very large (for london) with larger than FS standard seperate showers and soaking tubs. I didn't ask to see their regular sized rooms but I was told that they are decorated in the traditional British, floral print/dark wood style which some love and some dislike.

The new FS London can't open too soon!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 6:51 pm

I travel alone and stay in the main building at the Stafford. It is small, with a lovely bath and yes, decorated as one would expect for a British hotel. I prefer that kind of ambiance myself. I can get sleek, modern anywhere else. I want to belive I am staying at someone's country house. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.
All the staff are superb.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 9:41 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by JanePond
I travel alone and stay in the main building at the Stafford. It is small, with a lovely bath and yes, decorated as one would expect for a British hotel. I prefer that kind of ambiance myself. I can get sleek, modern anywhere else. I want to belive I am staying at someone's country house. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.
All the staff are superb.
A good take on the place Jane... and I agree, the Staff does really make the difference here.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:46 am

FS London

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Any insight on what the FS London will be like? What time frame next year will it open?
It was the only remaining Four Seasons owned by Issy Sharpe but was sold to a Malaysian investor last year, hence the money to renovate. Latest news says the hotel will re-open fourth quarter of 2010.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was the only remaining Four Seasons owned by Issy Sharpe but was sold to a Malaysian investor last year, hence the money to renovate.
seems the ongs (como resorts, malaysian) bought FS london in 1984, and then sold to kingdom hotels in 1997. and then in 2007 >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
kingdom sold FS london for $147MM shortly after taking FS private.
or was it just a 50% stake? so maybe FS + ongs then FS + kingdom?

and doesnt FS still own vancouver?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 27, 2009 at 3:48 pm
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:54 pm

It was the only remaining Four Seasons owned by Issy Sharpe but was sold to a Malaysian investor last year, hence the money to renovate. Latest news says the hotel will re-open fourth quarter of 2010.
The Malaysian investor must have a combo of big money and a desire to create something special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.