Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by KatW

Yet Toronto gets decent business travel and tourists.. Vancouver is Tourist Central. Montreal is a renown tourist destination.
Originally Posted by JetAway
Canada has a low density population in an area larger than the continental U.S. With only three cities of any size (YYZ, YUL and YVR) it lacks the demand for high level hospitality service although there are certainly isolated exceptions.
Thats what has me confused. Vancouver has a lovely airport with seemingly high demand for premium travel and is a tourist center for all seasons. How is it that the properties there seem totally overpriced for being so mediocre or run down? I am surprised further that the 4S will be closing up shop vs renewing their lease.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Thats what has me confused. Vancouver has a lovely airport with seemingly high demand for premium travel and is a tourist center for all seasons. How is it that the properties there seem totally overpriced for being so mediocre or run down? I am surprised further that the 4S will be closing up shop vs renewing their lease.
I bet FS will build a new one when the conditions are right or met.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I plan to book Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver. But for the free breakfast where is it and how much daily? ANd is the hotel still good?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by happyvoid
I plan to book Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver. But for the free breakfast where is it and how much daily? ANd is the hotel still good?
I did not have a great experience last time I was there.
The hard product is starting to feel dated. I was in the 1 bedroom suite with terrace, having the terrace is nice, as I enjoyed sitting outside with my coffee in the morning. But the room was kind of small and the bathroom was nothing spectacular.

​​​Feels weird that you have to insert your key card into a little slot in the room to get power in the room, I've only ever seen that at low end hotels in Asia, never in a 5-star hotel.

The house car was never available when we needed it, and the doorman never apologized, just said "nope not available". There was minimal personalization, I got a welcome note from a friend who worked at the hotel, but that was it, I was never greeted by name anywhere on property.

The free breakfast is okay, it's a la carte but you can order as much as you want. I forgot the name of the restaurant that it was in, I don't believe it was market.

Hard product wise, I would recommend the Pac Rim, either the signature ofuruo room, or the corner suite in Gold. The owners suite is also super nice too (not to be confused with the crazy expensive chairman suite)

​​​​​​I also really like the one bedroom suite at the Hotel Georgia in Vancouver as well.

Several of my friends have bad good experiences at the Trump, but I have not stayed there.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:28 pm

Thanks for your review and when did you stay? I never knew they provided a house car
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:57 pm

Thanks for your review and when did you stay? I never knew they provided a house car
Back in May for 3 nights
All the 5 star hotels except for four seasons have house cars.
Georgia is Bentley Flying Spur
Fairmonts are all BMWs
S550 at Shangrila
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:11 am

are they free to use?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
are they free to use?
Most/all of the hotels mentioned offer free rides within the downtown area / within a ~5km radius on a first-come-first-served basis.

But if you tip the driver (which is generally expected), taking a taxi wouldn't be more expensive.

The same cars are often used for apre-booked airport transfers, "VIP shopping packages" etc., so availability of the cars may be rather limited.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:13 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by specboi
Back in May for 3 nights
All the 5 star hotels except for four seasons have house cars.
Georgia is Bentley Flying Spur
Fairmonts are all BMWs
S550 at Shangrila
House cars: common feature at luxury venues. There is a limit, often 3 or so miles circumference. First come, first served, no reservations. In a dozen attempts, this has worked once for me. It is in no way reliable and I no longer bother even trying.
specboi likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by KatW

House cars: common feature at luxury venues. There is a limit, often 3 or so miles circumference. First come, first served, no reservations. In a dozen attempts, this has worked once for me. It is in no way reliable and I no longer bother even trying.
Ive had good luck with hotel Georgia, they've taken me outside of the 5km radius a few times, and for the most part the car is available.

And on a stay a while back, during the first day, i gave the driver a $50 tip, and for the rest of the stay I was able to book the car in advance. (Not gaurenteed, but they tried to hold the car for me). While in total I didn't save much compared to taxis, it's a lot more comfortable. Oh and Vancouver doesn't not have Uber, making the house car service even more beneficial.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:39 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by specboi
Ive had good luck with hotel Georgia, they've taken me outside of the 5km radius a few times, and for the most part the car is available.

And on a stay a while back, during the first day, i gave the driver a $50 tip, and for the rest of the stay I was able to book the car in advance. (Not gaurenteed, but they tried to hold the car for me). While in total I didn't save much compared to taxis, it's a lot more comfortable. Oh and Vancouver doesn't not have Uber, making the house car service even more beneficial.

That genetous tip is a good idea ... but you still have to get that first ride.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We are looking at staying at Fairmont Pacific Edge for 3 nights in August at the conclusion of a Seabourn Alaska expedition cruise. We love beautiful water views, but not crowds. Is this the best choice? We are looking at a gold level harbor view suite. Thanks in advance. It’s been over 10 years since we have visited Vancouver and we have fond memories of the city, the views and the restaurants.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
We are looking at staying at Fairmont Pacific Edge for 3 nights in August at the conclusion of a Seabourn Alaska expedition cruise. We love beautiful water views, but not crowds. Is this the best choice? We are looking at a gold level harbor view suite. Thanks in advance. It’s been over 10 years since we have visited Vancouver and we have fond memories of the city, the views and the restaurants.
If you want beautiful harbour views then yes this is the best hotel.
see if you can get one of the "owners suite" it's not the largest suite but the furnitures in the owners suite are unique and the decor is really quite nice. Though there is no balcony in the owners suite.

I've also stayed at the gold corner suite, and my favorite part is to have breakfast on the large balcony while admiring the ocean views.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Larkin
While service at the hotel seems to have slightly slipped over the last years, the Fairmont Pacific Rim still is among the very top hotels in Vancouver, and it's hard to beat a Gold Harbour View Suite in terms of views and dedicated service. So I'd say go for it...
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:53 pm

We recently (late May) had a 4 night stay at the Pacific Rim. We loved the facilities and the staff but did have two issues.

1) We never received turndown service after our first night. I told them the 2nd night and it was corrected, but not the next. I called down at 9:45 pm to report the issue bit say it was late and we were going to bed so don’t send anyone. 25 minutes later we get a knock saying they were there for turndown service - at 10:20 pm or so? Yea, okay The final night I didn’t even tell them because I saw no point.

2) drink service on the lobby lounge was abysmal two nights. Our waitress flat-out ignored me, even when I physically tried to get her attention with a wave when she walked by. The manger on duty both nights immediately responded however so I put this on that waitress specifically.

Regarding 1, the head of housekeeping emailed me the day we checked out to apologized and called to get more details, so that was a good sign.

With that, I’d stay there again in a heartbeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.