Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels in London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Pierre&Cedric, did you end up in the Executive Jr. Suite or the Apsley Suite?

I am glad to hear you had a good stay -- I hope my stay coming up in 2 days goes as well.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately we were not upgraded. The hotel was almost fully booked for the week-end and we satyed in an executive junior suite. Considering its size, I would say that any smaller room would be too small...

My review on Tripadvisor has not been released yet but the short video I made is available (http://www.tripadvisor.com/VideoGall...n_England.html).
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Thank you for the information, I didn't know that Fairmont & Raffles were owned by the same group. I have never stayed at a Fairmont property, is it really that bad? (I read some comments about the Plaza in NYC managed by Fairmont and it seems indeed quite disappointing.) Regarding Raffles, the only hotel I know is the one in Singapore. I stayed there twice and it was fantastic both times.

The Lanesborough is just above the 'Hyde Park Corner' underground station. Clearly the location is unbeatable.

Regarding service, reception staff is smiling, professionnal, and very efficient. We were shown our room within less than 5 minutes after having entered the lobby (which -by the way- is quite different from standard 5* hotels lobbies, it feels more like a private club).

Our butler was waiting for us, he showed us the air-con/lighting system (a discreete remote control in the bedside table which use is very simple -you don't spend hours looking for the right switch like in many other hotels). He also offered us a welcome tea. Internet access is free of charge, and there are plenty of complimentary services.

The bathroom is well appointed even if a bit tiny (only one vanity, but separate bathtub and shower). All products were presented in nice big bottles.

I feared that the butler would erupt in the room at any time, but it didn't happen. All furniture, carpets, equipments were in mint condition.

Regarding food, we requested room service on the first evening. Delivery was incredibly quick (probably no more than 5-6 minutes) for two Caesar salads. The breakfast is served in Apsleys. Decoration is nice, we were very few people in the restaurant, nothing special to say about it. The afternoon tea is fantastic, even if there is too much food for me...

Only two negative points: security staff on our floor was everywhere (we wondered if some VIP was staying there), and doormen were not enough (one car only and they were all busy).

My english is still terrible, sorry for that. If you wan any specific information just tell me and I will try to complete my story.
Your English is excellent - don't apologise! Thank you for the feedback - very informative. Have they put mini-bars in the rooms/suites yet? Last time I stayed, I really missed that.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Earthman
Just as an FYI and I suppose relevant to the thread,but we stayed in the MO hyde park on saturday night and found the service there top notch.Anything asked was done quickly and with a smile.
No butler though.Good food and wine and faultless service in their park restaurant and a somewhat trendy few cocktails were had in their mandarin bar.
An all in all good experience.
I agree that the service there has improved dramatically over the past few years. They are meant to have a Guest Relations person on each floor to welcome you and take care of your needs, but like you, I have rarely encountered one (well, OK, once, but only when we checked in).

My problem is with the bathrooms. Most of the suite bathrooms are English country house standard - i.e. tiny and with no separate shower. They need to invest in this and then, maybe I will return, as I love the location.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
We had a guest relations person(We didnt have one the last time a year ago.) who brought us up to the room,she was very good actually and took £60 off the bill because we couldn't avail of the Virtuoso lunch perk.She contacted us twice and left a note and a voicemail confirming dinner reservations.
I'd agree totally regarding the bathroom.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
"My problem is with the bathrooms. Most of the suite bathrooms are English country house standard - i.e. tiny and with no separate shower. They need to invest in this and then, maybe I will return, as I love the location.[/QUOTE]

Hi vuittonsofstyle,

None of the suites have combined shower and bathtub. Most of the rooms and suites have large deep bathtubs, seperate showers, and modern amenities (scale, blowdryer, over sized wonderful toiletries).

Last edited by Goodmorning2U; Dec 24, 2008 at 7:29 am
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
"My problem is with the bathrooms. Most of the suite bathrooms are English country house standard - i.e. tiny and with no separate shower. They need to invest in this and then, maybe I will return, as I love the location.
Hi vuittonsofstyle,

None of the suites have combined shower and bathtub, the smallest of their rooms have only the large tub with overhead showewr. All of the rooms and suites I have stayed in have had exceptionally large bathtubs, seperate showers, and exceptional modern amenities (scale, blowdryer, over sized wonderful toiletries).[/QUOTE]

Sorry to disagree, but this is not true. The Albert Suite, for instance, has a bathroom that is so small that only one person can fit in there at a time, and yes, the shower is in-tub and there is only one vanity. Yet, this suites goes for around £1,500 a night, plus tax, plus service.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
No need to apologize for disagreeing! That is one of the elements which makes this forum interesting. Now I know never to book that suite. Did you find out the number of rooms with only a bath? BTW, I've always been very happy with the junior ex. suite.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just to add my 2c
Last time I was in the MO,we had a suite,I couldnt recall the name of it but it had the shower in the bath.
The bathroom was big but no separate shower.

This time we were in a bog standard Courtview room or at least thats what I think it was called and again there was no separate shower.

Bad - yes!
Though we didnt mind so much.

Different story in the four seasons Prague-beautifull riverview room in the old building and yes a separate walk in shower as it should be [ we opted for that after.. other than the MO -Vuittons ]
The 4S prague while I'm here-excelent service and just immaculately kept.We were not impressed with the michellin star restaurant though-poor wine list-tiny portions [compared to other michellins we've been to and bland food].
Old Dec 24, 2008, 1:36 pm

Are the two of you (Goodmorning2U and Vuittons) talking about the same property? Vuittons is commenting on the M-O Hyde Park from what I gather and I think Goodmorning2U is referring to the Lanesborough???????

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
No need to apologize for disagreeing! That is one of the elements which makes this forum interesting. Now I know never to book that suite. Did you find out the number of rooms with only a bath? BTW, I've always been very happy with the junior ex. suite.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Have they put mini-bars in the rooms/suites yet? Last time I stayed, I really missed that.
No, this is indeed a strange point.

Every kind of drinks is available, with some chocolates and peanuts, and whisky/gin/vodka were presented in nice crystal flasks, but no mini-bars (I mean no fridge). Ice is available and each time we came back to the room it looked like it had been changed just a little while earlier. But a classic mini-bar would be better.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:20 am

No, this is indeed a strange point.

Every kind of drinks is available, with some chocolates and peanuts, and whisky/gin/vodka were presented in nice crystal flasks, but no mini-bars (I mean no fridge). Ice is available and each time we came back to the room it looked like it had been changed just a little while earlier. But a classic mini-bar would be better.
The thing is, if you want a bottle of mineral water in the middle of the night, you have to call the butler, which is crazy!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The thing is, if you want a bottle of mineral water in the middle of the night, you have to call the butler, which is crazy!
If you want a fresh bottle of mineral water you have to call, but if you just want one at 'ambiant temperature' no problem as it is complimentary and there was at least 6 bottles ib the room (still & sparkling).
Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:08 am

If you want a fresh bottle of mineral water you have to call, but if you just want one at 'ambiant temperature' no problem as it is complimentary and there was at least 6 bottles ib the room (still & sparkling).
Oh well, that is better than before. At least there is SOME water!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:41 am

Lanesborough

Our stay at the Lanesborough went fairly well. We booked the Executive Jr. Suite on the Holiday rate of 575 GBP and because I had major problems on my last stay I was given a 2 category upgrade on a future stay which I elected to use on this stay. My TA had to negotiate for this but we were granted the upgrade to a Grosvenor Suite. The rack rate on the Grosvenor Suite is 1800 GBP. The suite is not worth this kind of money!!!!! I thought it was worth the 575 GBP we paid but certainly not 3 times more.

The suite consisted of a bedroom with dressing area and small master bath with a decent sized living room with a half bath. The butler service is frustratingly slow and cumbersome. Most butlers we experienced showed their disdain in fulfilling our requests.

There still is some value in a Lanesborough stay with complimentary movies, internet and telephone calls to the US and EU landlines -- mobile phone calls to these areas are 2.50GBP per half hour. The English breakfast is an absolute feast and if included in the rate is a bonus.

All in all, a decent stay. On this occasion it served our purposes well and if it suits our needs again we may return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.