Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels in London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
I'm booked at Hotel 41 for a trip in January and will report back on my stay.
Looking forward to the opening of the renovated FS!
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:05 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Now that FS is closed for a couple of years (amazing plans, including a rooftop spa and two restaurants on the ground floor)
Are there any more details floating around on the renovations? Is anyone expecting this to become the George V of London?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:38 am

FS London

Originally Posted by smashley
Are there any more details floating around on the renovations? Is anyone expecting this to become the George V of London?
I don't think anyone at FS London wants to be the George V of London - it's not really their style, given the building. What has and will always separate out FS London from the rest is the wonderful service. Once they get the hardware right after the refurbishment, then this hotel could easily be the very best in London.

They are moving the restaurant and bar from the upper floor to the ground level and these will interconnect with the lobby. All the rooms will be completely re-modelled.

The spa on the roof will have gardens and a conservatory relaxation room.

The whole exterior of the building is being re-faceted to bring it up to date.

Should be brilliant.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:22 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I don't think anyone at FS London wants to be the George V of London - it's not really their style, given the building. What has and will always separate out FS London from the rest is the wonderful service. Once they get the hardware right after the refurbishment, then this hotel could easily be the very best in London.
Sorry, should have been more clear, simply meant if anyone expected the revamped FS to become numero uno in London. Redevelopment sounds fantastic though.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by smashley
Sorry, should have been more clear, simply meant if anyone expected the revamped FS to become numero uno in London. Redevelopment sounds fantastic though.
Oh DEFINITELY Numero Uno!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:35 am
Original Poster

We just planned a week-end trip to London by mid-December. We have chosen to stay at the Lannesborough in an 'executive junior suite'. Does anybody know if it's worth it to upgrade to an Apsley suite? It seemss much more expensive (1100GBP instead of 675) for only 5 additionnal sqm.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

isnt the exec jr £845?

you might double check how high FHR upgrades go. (for example if its possible to go from apsley to grosvenor.)
Old Nov 29, 2008, 4:04 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
If you liked the Mandarin O, NYC I don't think The Lanes is for you Pierre Et Cedric. You might be happier at Browns or maybe a Mews Suite at The Stafford.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
isnt the exec jr £845?

you might double check how high FHR upgrades go. (for example if its possible to go from apsley to grosvenor.)
I had my reservation confirmed through Amex at 675GBP/night, may be it's a special rate? FHR goes up to Buckingham suites. At the Dorchester we were lucky enough to be upgraded from a Park suite to a Dorchester suite. It will be our first stay at the Lanesborough, I hope we will have the same treatment.

Originally Posted by ABG
If you liked the Mandarin O, NYC I don't think The Lanes is for you Pierre Et Cedric. You might be happier at Browns or maybe a Mews Suite at The Stafford.
We like to test everything and to fit in the mood of the city we are visiting. For example in Singapore we prefer the Raffles because it has a story to tell, there is no other place you can compare it to. In NYC we felt it was the place to experience a contemporary interior with views over the city landscape. In London I like the english style, even if it's sometimes a bit 'heavy'. I know my english is terrible but do you understand what i mean?
Old Nov 30, 2008, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for the upgrade details. ^

too bad buckingham > royal isnt possible.

BTW your english is a lot better than some FTers with US locations.

Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
We just planned a week-end trip to London by mid-December. We have chosen to stay at the Lannesborough in an 'executive junior suite'. Does anybody know if it's worth it to upgrade to an Apsley suite? It seemss much more expensive (1100GBP instead of 675) for only 5 additionnal sqm.
Dear Pierre & Cédric, The Lanesborough is frightful. There is so much furniture in the rooms and suites that you need to wear cricket pads on your shins to survive walking around the room. Also, it is not at all English, but is an American view of what England is all about.

If you prefer a more contemporary English style, then why are you not staying at somewhere like Soho Hotel, or Charlotte Street hotel? These are much better, more interesting properties and both right in the heart of the West End. See www.firmdalehotels.com

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Dec 1, 2008 at 11:19 am Reason: addition
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. May be next time i will try the Soho Hotel.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Dear Pierre & Cédric, The Lanesborough is frightful. There is so much furniture in the rooms and suites that you need to wear cricket pads on your shins to survive walking around the room. Also, it is not at all English, but is an American view of what England is all about.

If you prefer a more contemporary English style, then why are you not staying at somewhere like Soho Hotel, or Charlotte Street hotel? These are much better, more interesting properties and both right in the heart of the West End. See www.firmdalehotels.com
Do you really think that any of the Firmdale properties are luxe ? I don't.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:20 pm

Actually (and sorry Pierre & Cedric) i'm not a Lanesborough fan. It is very fussy and maybe its a european thing but its like disney-does-england.

I stayed recently at The Covent Garden Hotel and I liked the relaxed laid back feel, not at all stuffy which bothers me in some supposed 'top' London hotels. The service was very good, the rooms smart with a fresh modern english look and the location was great for me.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA, LH, BD
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
isnt the exec jr £845?

Virtuoso allows all rooms upgrade (no upper limit)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.