Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels in London

Luxury hotels in London

Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Luxury hotels in London

I just learned that the Savoy has closed for a two-year renovation, and the Connaught has reopened in December. I know that numerous posts have been made about London luxury hotels, but I would need an update.

Last time we went there we stayed at the Dorchester. We had a very nice suite however it felt a bit outdated. How does the Lannesborough compare? the Ritz? the Metropolitan? the Intercontinental (even if it's not in the same range)?

Thank you for all your comments.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There are, as you said, MANY threads on London hotels, even from the last year.

If you want specific advice, you could do people the favour of being clear about what you want:

Who are travelling with?
Kids? Ages if so?
Size of budget?
Reason for trip / any need to be in a certain location?
Requirements - classic / modern, pool, food, view, room size important?

It is a pointless exercise to discuss whether the Ritz is better than the Metropolitan without any idea of what you want.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773704
from 1 month ago...
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the link Kagehitokiri, and sorry for my poor abilities in searching old posts.

It seems so difficult to find THE place to stay in London. In Paris it is way much easier: George V is the best palace in the city far ahead its competitors.

We will be 6 adults, no children, no specific budget limitation, no specific area. We prefer a modern style suite but classic shall be fine. The only requirement is that I want a real 3-bedroom suite, no connecting rooms with a strange lay-out.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it seems to me the best regarded properties here are One Aldwych and perhaps the Halkin.. with the Haymarket getting some good initial reports. others are more mixed, seemingly because of style and variable service.

as for 3BR suites >
- Taj 51 Buckingham Gate - 3BR suite (specify non-connecting) 1155?

- Haymarket - townhouse (3BR) 3500
- Baglioni - 3BR royal suite 4025 (might upgrade from 2BR presidential 1750 via quintessentially) includes maserati
- Lanesborough - 3BR royal suite 7500 (DOES upgrade from 1BR buckingham 2355 via virtuoso)

apts with min stay >
x metropolitan
x no. 5 maddox

might be worth seeing what quintessentially's preferential rates are as well, they offer them at a number of these properties. i dont seem to recall discounts via FHR, not sure about virtuoso.

http://quintessentially.com/home.php...&sec=34&id=589

Quintessentially, 24 rue Tronchet 75008 Paris
Tel: +33 (0)17664 1486

from ~€1000/year

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 29, 2009 at 11:16 am
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
For one notch down from the v v v expensive Mrs Northants and I like the Sofitel. It's very well located on StJames Park and is a small luxurious boutique hotel
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:35 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Personally, I love The Berkeley (Knightsbridge), Mandarin Oriental (Knightsbridge) and St. Martins Lane (Covent Garden). All are totally different from eachother, but the level of service (and style) remains constant.

Maybe it's just that I'm enamored with the ability to change the color of my room at the touch of a button... Perhaps

BN
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
You might check out the Ritz London. Two adjacent Green Park suites can be booked, along with up to two adjacent bedrooms, to satisfy your requirements.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:24 am

THE best in London

I am amazed by the London hotels you all mention. They are seriously deficient. If you want a truly enormous 3-bed suite, with contemporary classic styling, good service and food, then you have to be looking at one of the Firmdale hotels, specifically, Soho Hotel. Avoid Haymarket hotel, as its location is not the best, although it does have a huge Townhouse, which is perfect for a group of family or friends. Other Firmdale hotels in London that I heartily recommend are Charlotte Street Hotel, Covent Garden Hotel and the delightful B&B, Knightsbridge.
The one to watch will be Four Seasons London (Park Lane) which is scheduled for a major refurbishment, including a rooftop spa, re-modelled restaurants, etc. This hotel has by far the best service in London.

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Feb 19, 2008 at 8:26 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The one to watch will be Four Seasons London (Park Lane) which is scheduled for a major refurbishment, including a rooftop spa, re-modelled restaurants, etc. This hotel has by far the best service in London.
My last time at the Four Seasons Park Lane was back in 2004. It was indeed a perfect stay. We were a group of 4 and the waiter at the lounge remembered for each one of us the selection of tea we had the previous day, it was unbelievable. To me the Dorchester has the same level of service. But this time I would like to try a new place.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no firmdales have 3BR suites.

http://www.firmdale.com/index.php?pa...sub_page_id=81

theres only the townhouse at the haymarket.

the OP specifically said no connecting rooms/suites.

vuittonsofstyle, how would you compare service at haymarket to other firmdales? IIRC some of the others got mixed reports here, although the haymarket only has 1 so far.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 19, 2008 at 3:19 pm
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
no firmdales have 3BR suites.

http://www.firmdale.com/index.php?pa...sub_page_id=81

theres only the townhouse at the haymarket.

the OP specifically said no connecting rooms/suites.

vuittonsofstyle, how would you compare service at haymarket to other firmdales? IIRC some of the others got mixed reports here, although there are only 2 positives of haymarket so far.
I thought the Haymarket was more of a convention hotel. The usual gorgeous rooms and suites, but impersonal compared to the other Firmdales. Many of the rooms and suites are overlooked by the passing tour buses, too. The swimming pool is designed to be covered over for banqueting/conventions, which is not exactly guest friendly! The layout of the hotel is less cosy than the others - the Library is open to a banqueting area. Public areas feel like a series of corridors. I wanted to like it, but ended up thankful to check out.
Service was a bit 'cool' than other Firmdales and less knowledgeable.

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Feb 19, 2008 at 10:22 am Reason: add on
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

business oriented perhaps, but convention suggests a fairly large group.. there are only 51 rooms. re your comments on design, the floorplan of the townhouse isnt impressive.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 19, 2008 at 3:46 pm
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:09 pm

my two cents

I love the Dorchester, the lanesbourgh can be great but also has the odd bad room, The Halkin is great and discreet, before you decide have a look at the stanford mews rooms and suites.
I do not put one aldwych in this group or the ritz one notch down I am afraid.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by listener
I love the Dorchester, the lanesbourgh can be great but also has the odd bad room, The Halkin is great and discreet, before you decide have a look at the stanford mews rooms and suites.
I do not put one aldwych in this group or the ritz one notch down I am afraid.
No question that One Aldwych is not a grande dame London hotel (which might actually be the reason that people like it) - but the service is exemplary, even without the chintz. I don't think the Halkin is better than One Aldwych, and I'm not holding my breath about the Four Seasons, either. None of the Firmdale properties (that I've stayed at) are in the same category as any of the preceding hotels, though they are fun places with good service and nice facilities.

Last edited by grumbler; Feb 20, 2008 at 8:07 am Reason: Edited to add qualification !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.