Luxury hotels in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels in London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

after looking over london threads again, one aldwych still seems best regarded.

article on Connaught in latest Departures >
http://www.departures.com/articles/b...otel-refreshed
(john smith / 371909)

...a ferociously loyal clientele (more than 55 percent American)...When Maybourne purchased the hotel in 2004, it knew it would have to spend. The group committed $140 million, brought Alden on board, and has now produced Maybourne’s “first expression,” as Alden calls it, of the group’s very particular approach to luxury...by April an intimate fine-dining restaurant and an all-organic grill, and in June the Connaught Bar, designed by David Collins (the mind behind the Berkeley’s Blue Bar). By the end of 2009 the spa, indoor pool, and another 33 rooms will have made their debuts...Buttling, as it’s known here (the verb derived from “butler”) is headed up by Martin Binks, formerly assistant head butler at the Lanesborough...Lee, who has worked at the Connaught for almost three decades and is only the hotel’s seventh GM in 110 years...

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 9, 2009 at 8:29 pm
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:53 am

London Hotels - negatives

I find the One Aldwych service very cold. My male friends like it, but female friends agree with me. Also, the rooms are tiny and the suites not too comfortable (apart from the beds).
Browns has a nice feel to it and the rooms/suites are very spacious, but the quality of the work in the bathrooms is really bad and the restaurant service can be patchy. Like its location though.
MO bathrooms are old fashioned and small and the plumbing is out of the ark. Like the restaurants, dislike the bar which is full of noisy locals. I think they need a big refurbishment fast.
Dorchester looks good but fails to perform so many times - slow service etc. They always put it right, but I wish they would do it properly in the first place.
Canary Wharf has good staff but is such a cold hotel. feels like you are sleeping in a board room.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I find the One Aldwych service very cold. My male friends like it, but female friends agree with me. Also, the rooms are tiny and the suites not too comfortable (apart from the beds).
Browns has a nice feel to it and the rooms/suites are very spacious, but the quality of the work in the bathrooms is really bad and the restaurant service can be patchy. Like its location though.
MO bathrooms are old fashioned and small and the plumbing is out of the ark. Like the restaurants, dislike the bar which is full of noisy locals. I think they need a big refurbishment fast.
Dorchester looks good but fails to perform so many times - slow service etc. They always put it right, but I wish they would do it properly in the first place.
Canary Wharf has good staff but is such a cold hotel. feels like you are sleeping in a board room.
For One Aldwych, you have to make sure you are in a midlevel room or better - but the rooms are small, with the exception of the 04 rooms, which overlook the bridge.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:29 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I have only experienced very warm and sincere service at One Aldwych. However, with personnel change and Campbell Grey Hotels expansion (Dukes in London; Goodwood Park in Chicester; Carlisle Bay in Antigua and 2 Middle East developments) the charm and warmth of the flagship may have become diluted somewhat.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:41 pm

another two cents

my expierence at the ritz has been sub standard on the last three occasions that have been obliged to stay there.
one Aldwych has never impressed me allways been cold and distant..
The dorchester when it works works well, the halkin has great service.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Has anyone been to Hotel 41? I would love to hear your thoughts on this property.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Does anyone know this hotel (Kempinski):

http://www.thebentley-hotel.com/

from Oct. 1st on:

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...SH14CSGBIV2VCQ

1) What have been your "5-star-luxury" impressions of this hotel?
2) Reputation?
3) Why will it leave Kempiski?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 5:35 am

Bentley

Originally Posted by submonte

from Oct. 1st on:

2) Reputation?
The hotel is decorated in a very over the top style, sort of bordello-meets-gentleman's-club. It has never quite got its profile on target, or its service, IMHO.

Kempinski does nothing for its luxury aspirations. Let's face it, Kempinski is a second string hotel brand - OK for the occasional business stay, but not in the truly high-end sector.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Has anyone been to Hotel 41? I would love to hear your thoughts on this property.
Specifically, room choice, food quality, and butler service....
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist

from Oct. 1st on:

2) Reputation?
I used to stay there occasionally; good-sized rooms, I think they always managed to find a room for me when I arrived off an overnight flight in the early morning, my beloved Penhaligon Quercus bath products, a 24-hour fitness center, and I used to find pretty good rates. They had one terrific concierge, but she left, and the guy who replaced her was useless (well, he knew how to look up a restaurant in Harden's, so next-to-useless). I stopped returning after a billing problem which took too long to resolve. But even at its best, there were usually worn patches in the rooms, spotty doorman service, and other service glitches that, together with its rather unprepossessing location, would not have supported a categorization as "luxury."
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Used to have an acclaimed restaurant (in the basement) called 1880 but the chef, Andrew Turner, moved on a year or so ago and the restaurant is no longer a high point of the place. We got the tasting menu for half-price one night through an internet promo and it was excellent. Surreally, though, at one point in the evening a birthday cake was brought out to my girlfriend and the staff all sang happy birthday to her .... except it wasn't!!

It's one of the many pseudo-luxury hotels in South Ken / Knightsbridge / Chelsea which seem to remain in business despite having absolutely zero public profile. You can never imagine who would end up staying there.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Specifically, room choice, food quality, and butler service....
I was suprised to learn that this hotel ranks 2nd of all London properties on TA...
Old Sep 30, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Wink

Originally Posted by Raffles
It's one of the many pseudo-luxury hotels in South Ken / Knightsbridge / Chelsea which seem to remain in business despite having absolutely zero public profile.

You can never imagine who would end up staying there.
Hilton guests

But thanks, I understand better now what type of hotel category (price category) it is, another class compared to Ritz, Savoy or Lanesborough, probably more trying to compete JW Marriott or IC, but very small, boutique like sized. Nevertheless I will try it out next time when I go to London. It seems to become the best Hilton Hotel there, I guess (I hope) maybe mid term rebranded to CONRAD or WA (although also those brands do not reflect the small size of The Bentley) after some renovation and so on. I am interested as a Hilton guest to see if there is any progress with their further strategy of setting higher levels of Hilton hotels at top locations, which has been promised since long, but with few progress so far, or no progress, see European major capitals like Berlin or Paris, exception Rome (Cavalieri=WA).

Last edited by submonte; Sep 30, 2008 at 3:53 pm
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:36 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Hilton guests

But thanks, I understand better now what type of hotel category (price category) it is, another class compared to Ritz, Savoy or Lanesborough, probably more trying to compete JW Marriott or IC, but very small, boutique like sized. Nevertheless I will try it out next time when I go to London. It seems to become the best Hilton Hotel there, I guess (I hope) maybe mid term rebranded to CONRAD or WA (although also those brands do not reflect the small size of The Bentley) after some renovation and so on. I am interested as a Hilton guest to see if there is any progress with their further strategy of setting higher levels of Hilton hotels at top locations, which has been promised since long, but with few progress so far, or no progress, see European major capitals like Berlin or Paris, exception Rome (Cavalieri=WA).
I thought the Waldorf was supposed to be Hilton's top-of-the-line in London? LOL.

Raffles, I ate at 1880, too, back when, and quite liked the food, though IIRC, I was one of three diners there.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:40 am

Now that FS is closed for a couple of years (amazing plans, including a rooftop spa and two restaurants on the ground floor), my favourites are Soho Hotel, Charlotte Street Hotel and Covent Garden Hotel - all Firmdales.

The new Bar at The Dorchester is a huge improvement, but everything else, especially the service, continues to disappoint.

Anyone tried the Connaught lately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.