Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels in London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Hi guys!

What are your views on the Hyatt Churchill- Club Level?

Of course, not as "posh" as some of the other, but the price is sure much more friendly!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt Churchill club level? Stayed there many times. Decent upscale hotel, not luxury level. Check out the extensive review thread in the Hyatt forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:50 am

Firmdale, luxe?

Originally Posted by grumbler
Do you really think that any of the Firmdale properties are luxe ? I don't.
Well, if you compare the big suites in, say, The Soho Hotel (such as the massive Terrace Suite), with the high-end suites in MO Hyde Park (such as the claustrophobic Albert Suite), and you put the MO Hyde Park bathrooms against the smart granite and wood bathrooms in one of the Firmdale properties, then I don't really care if the Firmdales are luxe or not - they are simply better, more comfortable places in which to stay.

They are not for people seeking prestige or Michelin stars, but they are all small, discreet boutiques with friendly staff, really good food, comfortable beds and a great sense of modern English design. They are also, on the whole, very good value for money. One of my favourites is their Knightsbridge hotel, which is essentially an up-scale B&B with 24-hour room service. It is beautifully designed, with friendly, helpful staff, great location and a fraction of the price of, say, The Dorchester, which, also considered to be 'luxe' is, IMHO, far from it in terms of service.

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Dec 3, 2008 at 9:52 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Well, if you compare the big suites in, say, The Soho Hotel (such as the massive Terrace Suite), with the high-end suites in MO Hyde Park (such as the claustrophobic Albert Suite), and you put the MO Hyde Park bathrooms against the smart granite and wood bathrooms in one of the Firmdale properties, then I don't really care if the Firmdales are luxe or not - they are simply better, more comfortable places in which to stay.

They are not for people seeking prestige or Michelin stars, but they are all small, discreet boutiques with friendly staff, really good food, comfortable beds and a great sense of modern English design. They are also, on the whole, very good value for money. One of my favourites is their Knightsbridge hotel, which is essentially an up-scale B&B with 24-hour room service. It is beautifully designed, with friendly, helpful staff, great location and a fraction of the price of, say, The Dorchester, which, also considered to be 'luxe' is, IMHO, far from it in terms of service.
I agree that they are great boutiques, and very reasonably priced for what they are. Not sure I would put them in the same category as the hotels that are traditionally viewed as high end properties, that's all.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Firmdale = modern luxury

I agree totally with vuittons: Firmdale Hotels are the most luxurious to me in London - way better feeling, way better rooms, way better living than at Ritz or MO.

It's a modern, good-taste-luxury with fantastic rooms (and even a private screening room at Soho or a big, fancy swimming pool at Haymarket).
Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:54 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
While I have yet to stay at a Firmdale property, the pictures of the rooms on their websites are quite horrid. They look as fussy as the Dorchester and Lanesborough are with a slightly more modern fussiness about it..... I guess Firmdale is not my cup of tea.....
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Dear Pierre & Cédric, The Lanesborough is frightful. There is so much furniture in the rooms and suites that you need to wear cricket pads on your shins to survive walking around the room. Also, it is not at all English, but is an American view of what England is all about.
We just come back from The Lanesborough. It was much better than I expected, as I have to admit I was a bit scared by your comments and others.

The hotel location is just perfect, and the decoration is quite nice (less heavy in fact than the Dorechester's). I made a short video and some pictures, I guess they will be released on Tripadvisor soon.

For my next trip I am considering the Savoy. It is supposed to reopen in May '09, I thought it was supposed to remain closed for renovation far longer.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:05 am

The Lanesborough

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
We just come back from The Lanesborough. It was much better than I expected, as I have to admit I was a bit scared by your comments and others.

The hotel location is just perfect, and the decoration is quite nice (less heavy in fact than the Dorechester's). I made a short video and some pictures, I guess they will be released on Tripadvisor soon.

For my next trip I am considering the Savoy. It is supposed to reopen in May '09, I thought it was supposed to remain closed for renovation far longer.
Good to hear that The Lanesborough pleased you. I agree that its location is excellent and its exterior is very smart indeed. I just have a problem with everything else. How was the service?

I am a bit worried that you want to stay at The Savoy. Do you know that it is now a Fairmont? This means that even its owners realise that it will never be top-drawer. Otherwise, they would have made it a Raffles hotel (same owners).
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the information, I didn't know that Fairmont & Raffles were owned by the same group. I have never stayed at a Fairmont property, is it really that bad? (I read some comments about the Plaza in NYC managed by Fairmont and it seems indeed quite disappointing.) Regarding Raffles, the only hotel I know is the one in Singapore. I stayed there twice and it was fantastic both times.

The Lanesborough is just above the 'Hyde Park Corner' underground station. Clearly the location is unbeatable.

Regarding service, reception staff is smiling, professionnal, and very efficient. We were shown our room within less than 5 minutes after having entered the lobby (which -by the way- is quite different from standard 5* hotels lobbies, it feels more like a private club).

Our butler was waiting for us, he showed us the air-con/lighting system (a discreete remote control in the bedside table which use is very simple -you don't spend hours looking for the right switch like in many other hotels). He also offered us a welcome tea. Internet access is free of charge, and there are plenty of complimentary services.

The bathroom is well appointed even if a bit tiny (only one vanity, but separate bathtub and shower). All products were presented in nice big bottles.

I feared that the butler would erupt in the room at any time, but it didn't happen. All furniture, carpets, equipments were in mint condition.

Regarding food, we requested room service on the first evening. Delivery was incredibly quick (probably no more than 5-6 minutes) for two Caesar salads. The breakfast is served in Apsleys. Decoration is nice, we were very few people in the restaurant, nothing special to say about it. The afternoon tea is fantastic, even if there is too much food for me...

Only two negative points: security staff on our floor was everywhere (we wondered if some VIP was staying there), and doormen were not enough (one car only and they were all busy).

My english is still terrible, sorry for that. If you wan any specific information just tell me and I will try to complete my story.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:33 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Fairmont properties are really that bad. In Canada, they tend to run famous old hotels and milk them by underinvestment, so things go threadbare. At least that's my experience.

P.S. I really like the notion that a butler could erupt into a room! On my one and only stay at the Lanesborough, not only did the butler never erupt in the room, he never showed up at all, even when summoned.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yes, Fairmont properties are really that bad. In Canada, they tend to run famous old hotels and milk them by underinvestment, so things go threadbare. At least that's my experience.

P.S. I really like the notion that a butler could erupt into a room! On my one and only stay at the Lanesborough, not only did the butler never erupt in the room, he never showed up at all, even when summoned.
It is a strange business model. Acquire old huge capital intensive properties that are tourist draws, but impossibly expensive to maintain.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Good to hear that The Lanesborough pleased you. I agree that its location is excellent and its exterior is very smart indeed. I just have a problem with everything else. How was the service?

I am a bit worried that you want to stay at The Savoy. Do you know that it is now a Fairmont? This means that even its owners realise that it will never be top-drawer. Otherwise, they would have made it a Raffles hotel (same owners).
Just as an FYI and I suppose relevant to the thread,but we stayed in the MO hyde park on saturday night and found the service there top notch.Anything asked was done quickly and with a smile.
No butler though.Good food and wine and faultless service in their park restaurant and a somewhat trendy few cocktails were had in their mandarin bar.
An all in all good experience.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:00 pm

When does Shangri-La enter the market?

Last edited by Shangri-La; Dec 23, 2008 at 8:39 pm
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:25 pm

I don't think anyone at FS London wants to be the George V of London - it's not really their style, given the building. What has and will always separate out FS London from the rest is the wonderful service. Once they get the hardware right after the refurbishment, then this hotel could easily be the very best in London.

They are moving the restaurant and bar from the upper floor to the ground level and these will interconnect with the lobby. All the rooms will be completely re-modelled.

The spa on the roof will have gardens and a conservatory relaxation room.

The whole exterior of the building is being re-faceted to bring it up to date.

Should be brilliant.
What time in 2010 is it scheduled to re-open? I believe you said that they are going to have two restaurants when it opens again, so do you think that one will try to reach for the stars (Michelin, that is)?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
When does Shangri-La enter the market?
http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/london/shangrila

Originally Posted by ajinlondon
Virtuoso allows all rooms upgrade (no upper limit)
^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 23, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.