FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amanresorts Thread 2023/2024

original 2004 thread by FlyerTalk Forums - View Profile: Amanjunkie

parallel thread by deer , original thread posted 2008
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...5-edition.html

aman >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33905344-post140.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30591977-post2.html (scroll down)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30716202-post264.html (amangiri & aman & zecha)
Life Changing Experiences? (includes aman)

3 aman architects - tuttle, hill, gathy
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post30407874
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post11083953
Kerry Hill (well-known hotel architect) deceased, age 75
tuttle and zecha, unique characters >
Aman architect Ed Tuttle Passes Away In Paris
gastroenophile.co.uk/2020/08/ed-tuttle-death-of-architectural-genius.html
gastroenophile.co.uk/2014/05/whats-happening-with-adrian-zecha-and.html (including 2nd comment)
blurb.com/books/3461718-amandari (amandari architect peter muller diary)

some zecha history >
raditmahindro.medium.com/a-quite-long-history-of-balinese-hotel-architecture-part-i-wija-waworuntu-and-donald-friend-96c1553efa6b
raditmahindro.medium.com/a-quite-long-history-of-balinese-hotel-architecture-part-ii-geoffrey-bawa-and-peter-muller-81e0730380f1
raditmahindro.medium.com/a-quite-long-history-of-balinese-hotel-architecture-part-iii-bali-after-donald-friend-9c81b2d42417
raditmahindro.medium.com/a-quite-long-history-of-balinese-hotel-architecture-part-v-adrian-zecha-and-aman-1f4a2fbf1045
raditmahindro.medium.com/a-quite-long-history-of-balinese-hotel-architecture-part-vi-ghm-alila-and-contemporary-design-3ab778e9a86d
raditmahindro.medium.com/a-quite-long-history-of-balinese-hotel-architecture-part-vi-indonesian-designers-a07a394de537

directory of old aman reports >
Amanresorts Thread 2019

directory of prior aman threads and 'upcoming aman' threads
Amanresorts Thread 2016

amanjunkie shirt history
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34552572-post442.html

these threads might be worth listing here
Rate your favourite Amans
So Many Amans, So Little Time
Fliar, deer and luxefarer like this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 4, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Recently completed a stay at Le Melezin and thought I would share a few notes since this is one of the least discussed Amans on the thread.

Pros:
1) Service: even during peak season, was great. Concierges were very responsive prior to arrival and then quick to make changes and respond as our plans changed. Were able to get us into almost all of our requested restaurants and we often received great tables. The pros in the ski room were great - and very patient with my family. Housekeeping is fantastic here which cannot be easy here given how much of a mess my son was making in the room every day.
2) Location: Ski-in / ski-out which is not necessarily a given everywhere and closer walk to the town than Cheval Blanc, L'Apogee. There is also a shuttle to drive you wherever you want and it was always a quick pick-up, again even during peak season
3) Room options: Somewhat specific to our needs, but the Chambre Village really fits what we were looking for. The sliding doors made it essentially a jr suite and easy for our son to nap / sleep in the room without impacting our ability to be in the room which is not easily found at the other top hotels. Also, while it is called Chambre Village, the views were still great and the daybed is huge so will be a nice feature for children to sleep in or for adults to just lounge on after a long day of skiing.
4) Turn-down: By far the nicest collection of turn-down gifts of any of the Amans we have stayed at
Cons:
1) The F&B options are limited. Breakfast is fine but nothing noteable like at other Amans. Then the only restaurant is Nama which is fine for sushi but you don't want to eat sushi every meal (and living in Los Angeles we don't fly to the alps to eat sushi). For other food you will have to leave the hotel, whereas other hotels are larger so have more options on-site. The bar is lively by Aman standards and quiet by Courchevel standards, so this is a +/- depending on what you are looking for.
2) Tea Time: This is the only Aman we have stayed at where they charged for tea during tea time. the treats were complimentary, but the tea itself was not.
3) Festive Season - Very minimal here relative to other "resort" Amans and the top hotels in the area. They had a set menu (western) which went form ~8:30 - 11:30, then a single entertainer from 11:30-midnight leading into the fireworks and then a glass of champagne was handed out. It would have been nice to have more entertainment, but others might like this.

Other Notes:
1) Kids Club: Small, but nice and always with an attendant (until 8pm). While not as "wow" as the kids club at Airelles, it was staffed and had more stuff for our little one whereas Airelles was more geared towards older kids. I think Cheval Blanc probably had the nicest kids club
2) Gym: Small with nice equipment, although not purchased by anyone who lifts weights I think. Seemed to be a common theme with the other gyms we saw in the area
3) Spa: Pool, jacuzzi, cold plunge pool, steam room, sauna and two shower "experiences". Nothing outside, but it was very nice and never crowded.

Overall:
The Le Melezin feels very relaxed and comfortable like staying in a home. You can be casual for breakfast or in the lounge and it is acceptable whereas other hotels in the area are much more happening but also showy. For us, it worked well but I could see other people enjoying Airelles or Cheval Blanc more depending on what you are looking for in your trip. Many of the employees are from Amanzoe and so if you go there often you will likely recognize some of them.

Hope this is helpful and happy to answer any other questions people may have.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
For rumors and facts about new and upcoming Aman, JANU, Azerai, Azumi, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts, please use this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post34891352
SanDiego1K, RichardInSF and ABG like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

deer, i added your new thread above

fancyoli.com/en/2016/02/02/lhotel-aman-le-melezin-a-courchevel
Adrian Zecha was a regular client for several years here before he expressed major interest in the hotel. He bought the property in 1990, giving free rein to Aman’s renowned architect Ed Tuttle to refashion the outside structure of the building, inspired by the region’s medieval fortresses. The old hotel that had opened as Le Savoy in 1955 is rebaptized Le Mélezin in 1992
interview with Homi Vazifdar incl post covid >
hotelsmag.com/news/the-wisdom-of-homi-vazifdar
what surprised all of us was how fast and how furiously we came back.
seems he semi retired and hired giri GM as replacement
canyon sold le melezin and gani, both ski properties

adrian zecha turns 90 this year
deer likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 5, 2023 at 9:54 am
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
deer, i added your new thread above

fancyoli.com/en/2016/02/02/lhotel-aman-le-melezin-a-courchevel

interview with Homi Vazifdar incl post covid >
hotelsmag.com/news/the-wisdom-of-homi-vazifdar

seems he semi retired and hired giri GM as replacement
canyon sold le melezin and gani, both ski properties

adrian zecha turns 90 this year
in interview with Vazifdar, it talks about the “bittersweet exit from Amangani” why would it be bittersweet though ? Kagehitokiri
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick
in interview with Vazifdar, it talks about the “bittersweet exit from Amangani” why would it be bittersweet though ? Kagehitokiri
He gains something (funds) and loses something (trophy asset). Sounds bittersweet to me. Just guessing here.
bearbrick likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 3:48 am

Will be proposing to my partner at Amanpulo this year. Any recommendations for best spot on the island to do so?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:37 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by traveluxe
Will be proposing to my partner at Amanpulo this year. Any recommendations for best spot on the island to do so?
did the same in the same place We had a private beach barbecue just in front of our casita, very private with a guitar player.

if you want something more spectacular, I would suggest their floating lounge with the sunset view.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
did the same in the same place We had a private beach barbecue just in front of our casita, very private with a guitar player.

if you want something more spectacular, I would suggest their floating lounge with the sunset view.
South tip of the island would be nice, especially if there is still a gazebo there (can't recall from last visit...)

I would second the comment on the guitar player. And there really is no limit to how extravagant you can be other than budget... we once saw a very impressive fireworks display that Amanpulo had brought in on a barge for a guest's birthday.
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Considering Aman Spa in Tokyo for a couples treatment in their double suite, not sure if there are specific treatments that we should try. Does anyone have any recommendations? They seem to have a seasonal menu that looks enticing.
luxefarer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Aman Resorts thread 2023

Spent a weekend at Aman New York. Here is a video tour of the much talked about property. Tour shows the Grand Suite and Corner Suite.

I also toured the Aman Suite and found it to be really special, especially for NY. I did not record this suite as I wasn’t staying in it and felt pressed for time, maybe next time

Stay tuned for a full review..

Fliar and offerendum like this.

Last edited by luxefarer; Mar 11, 2023 at 8:28 pm
Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by luxefarer
Spent a weekend at Aman New York. Here is a video tour of the much talked about property.
An extraordinarily beautiful video.

I am devoted to the Lowell and my beloved Carlyle; but, I must admit, this video is a tempting seductress. Aman should be very pleased.

The Aman is, indeed, truly gorgeous. But the lounge area featured at the start of the video looks really cluttered with furniture. Does a space limited to hotel guests really need so much crowded seating?
Fliar likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:43 am

Jiwo

We have a stay booked at Jiwo next month, and unfortunately Borobudur is still on limited access Has anyone gone recently?
Old Mar 11, 2023, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by luxefarer
I also toured the Aman Suite and found it to be really special, especially for NY.
I'm sure its indeed special with a special price tag too~
luxefarer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by benjinito
We have a stay booked at Jiwo next month, and unfortunately Borobudur is still on limited access Has anyone gone recently?
i heard early 2023 is still on limited access for a simulation(?). They limit the people who can climb the temple. Also will be accompanied with a guide and change the foot wear with special sandals
benjinito and luxefarer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.