Search

So Many Amans, So Little Time

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:33 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
So Many Amans, So Little Time

My husband and I are considering another Aman trip for early 2006. As many of you know, we have been to the following:
- Amankila
- Amandari
- Hotel Bora Bora
- Amanpulo

The ones that peak our interest right now (with or without 50% rate reductions - we cannot go this year):
- Amanpuri combined w/the FS Chaing Mai
- Amangalla & Amanwella in Sri Lanka
- Aman-i-Khas & Amanbagh in India
- Amanjena in Morocco
- Amanjiwo (only because some of you won't stop raving about this one and we feel we're missing out!)

We are having a very difficult time deciding. Got any advice? What's YOUR all-time favorite Aman?
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Which Aman's are having 50% rate reductions this year?
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:41 pm

I've been to Amandari, Amankila, Amanusa, Amapulo & Amanjiwo. Amanjiwo remains imho the most beautiful Aman. It's location minutes from Borobudur, the view of the volcanoes, its architecture and the kindness of its staff makes it the best Aman ever.
Java is even more beautiful island than Bali and you could easily spend a week there without getting bored.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:41 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Which Aman's are having 50% rate reductions this year?
Amanpuri, Thailand

Amangalla & Amanwella in Sri Lanka

The rates are reduced 50% thru October 31, 2005. You can find details at the Aman website.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:20 pm

Amanjiwo!
There is no way to adequately describe just how excellent this resort is. It is surrounded by volcanoes (one of them still active and spurting steam), has exclusive access before dawn to the Borobudor temple, and offers a wide range of sightseeing activities ranging from the relaxing to the super-strenuous. My wife and I spent only two nights there in January, and wish we could have stayed for at least two more.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:50 pm

amanjiwo

Ericka,

Amanjiwo IMHO is the best I have experienced. You need a week there to see all that is available but the drive time and traffic can take alot out of you.
I recommend combining it with Losari when visiting Gedong Songo and also a ride on the steam train through coffe plantations and villages of central Java.
The traffic and amount of people will astound you. Yogya is a must for art and culture. Prambanan in july and august with its ballet evening proformances are great too.
Amanjiwo is just amazes me when just sittting on the terrace facing Borobudur and served tea by its smiling staff. Simple and perfect. I don't think you need your own pool as I liked the terrace better without the pool. Visit in June, July , or August as I was also there in November and it was cloudy and very hot the whole time.
Closer to home is Amangani which works its magic just as well without the long trip.
Amanpulo was very nice, service around the pool must always be a problem as many times there was no one around to get you anything. We hung out at the beach club and had it all to ourselves with great food, service and the best music. Terrorist threats where very real when we visited in February of 2005 as the Philippine Marines launched there biggest attach in 30 years on Abu Syaif militants. We saw them roll out the tractor and golf carts to block the runway when an unidentified plane attempted to land. They really have a plan and it works so we felt very safe the whole time. No one is getting in within 12 miles of this hotel without a major fight.
Amanpuri was the only one I had a dislike for and it was becouse of the crowd. Lots of reserved tables and lounges for the ones who visit often. it felt like Capri in high season.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:00 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Quick update on this - we have decided to give Amangani a spur-of-the-moment weekend in early June! I wish we had longer, but this will give us our Aman fix for 2005 since we have our Africa trip coming up in Sept.

We are still thinking about early next year - Amanjiwo is definitely in the running! When you all refer to "crowds" and "traffic" with Amanjiwo, are you really referring to the trip to/from the airport? I mean, the resort and temple seem very secluded. Please confirm.

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:24 am

That's correct. No crowds at Amanjiwo. It is extremely secluded. The only crowds you'll see will be on the drive from the Yogyakarta airport, but it's nothing you haven't experienced before. Even the people begging for money at busy intersections around Yogya were polite and well dressed, and most of them were playing some type of musical instrument!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:41 pm

java traffic

We are still thinking about early next year - Amanjiwo is definitely in the running! When you all refer to "crowds" and "traffic" with Amanjiwo, are you really referring to the trip to/from the airport? I mean, the resort and temple seem very secluded.

The temples are very secluded. When you go on your journeys it can take some time becouse of traffic. Roads that are ment to handle one lane in each direction become six lanes of traffic. But you will be enclosed in your Amanmobile so.... We went to Yogya which is a must, the bird market is worth the trip and it is a trip,but the time to get there seemed like for ever.So as long as you know this then I think you will be well prepared. After you visit Amangani you will have stayed in two of Ed Tuttle's Aman projects. The other ones are Amankila, Amanjiwo, Amanjena, and Amanbagh. I have a feeling you like his style and it maybe worth checking out Park Hyatt Paris and Milan as these are two he did in Europe.Oh he also did the French Aman.
Hope this helps you get to Java!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:49 pm

bump...anyone stayed at amanjiwo recently ? any ideas on things/ new things to do /see ?
Also REVOLUTION , are you still around to post ? (in any guise...)
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:31 pm

Best Amans in known Universe

I think I have stayed at all of them, unless one slipped through the net.

Avoid Amanwella (terrible design, lack of privacy, impossible to get to etc etc)

Love Amangalla (mainly because of GM Olivia Richli who gives it soul and that Aman feeling, BUT it's not a beach resort, so you would not stay here more than 2 nights)

Amanpuri - yes, it is all about the 'crowd', the in-set, so if Fred Varnier does not know you, then don't expect anything special. Trisara is much better in Phuket these days, although if you stay in one of the Villa Homes at Amanpuri then life is sweet.

Amankila - you know. We still love it.

Amanusa - most don't like it, but I do because the beach experience is so good.

Amandari - I prefer FS Sayan these days, but Amandari has real charm, especially for a first-time visitor to Ubud. There is magic here.

Amanwana - great if you dive and quite good if you don't (lovely tented suites with really powerful,showers), but much more basic than the average Aman (did I say average? Nothing is average about Aman!).

Amanjiwo - Nobody could praise it more. It is worthy of every rave. The most beautiful, spiritual 'place of peace'. Mandatory for Amanjunkies.

Amanbagh - YES! A wonderful Aman in the true sense of the word. So many new things to see in this region and special staff that care so much. Great food, too.

Aman-i-Khas - Hmm. You have to go when it is not cold at night and you have to be a bit more adventurous as Amanjunkies go, as this is not the norm. We are talking tents here, and not the fixed variety that they have up the road at The Oberoi Vanyavilas. Beautifully done, though, and better since they put in the little dipping pool.

The Aman New Delhi - OK, it's not open yet, but I saw it and it's fabulous. Not conventional Amanresort though. This is the first Amancity.

Amankora - five lodges throughout Bhutan. Nobody does it better. 3 Lodges work for me. Five can be a little tiring.

Amansara - Forget Raffles. The best and only place to stay in Siem Reap is Amansara which is a real oasis after the bustle of the town and the temples. Not typically Aman in that it is in a town, so the 'peaceful' bit gets lost.

Amanpulo - The best white sand beach with red coral washed up on the shore and nobody else there. It is Heaven.

Hotel Bora Bora - closed for 2 years for a major re-model, and about time.

Amanjena - glorious oasis 12 minutes by car from the centre. Pool Pavilions are great. Maisons are even better. Maisons Jardins are so good you never want to leave.

Le Melezin - simply the best ski joint in the world.

Amangani - sometimes it's OK, other times it's not. Probably because the staff is often student part time. Great design. Not crazy about the food.

Amanyara - not sure what's happened here since Tania and John left. For the Caribbean it's pretty good, but it's not in the same league as the Asian Amans.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 2:44 pm

Well dont be shy VUITTONSOFSTYLE.....lol !

I met Olivia in amanjiwo when it opened ( Francois as manager, but im guessing you know that) and she was delightful and typical of what a perfect aman manager should be.

If you have been to jiwo in the last two years or so and can suggest anything new or different to do, let me know.(a pm to me will do if it suits)
I am finalising a trip to Indonesia for late october so all help appreciated.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 4:43 pm

Vuitton, we're thinking of swapping AMANUSA with ST REGIS in Bali. I was told the beach access is not very easy from the rooms in AMANUSA, while ST REGIS offers beach front access. What do you mean with beach experience to be 'so good' at AMANUSA?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I think I have stayed at all of them, unless one slipped through the net.

Avoid Amanwella (terrible design, lack of privacy, impossible to get to etc etc)

Love Amangalla (mainly because of GM Olivia Richli who gives it soul and that Aman feeling, BUT it's not a beach resort, so you would not stay here more than 2 nights)

Amanpuri - yes, it is all about the 'crowd', the in-set, so if Fred Varnier does not know you, then don't expect anything special. Trisara is much better in Phuket these days, although if you stay in one of the Villa Homes at Amanpuri then life is sweet.

Amankila - you know. We still love it.

Amanusa - most don't like it, but I do because the beach experience is so good.

Amandari - I prefer FS Sayan these days, but Amandari has real charm, especially for a first-time visitor to Ubud. There is magic here.

Amanwana - great if you dive and quite good if you don't (lovely tented suites with really powerful,showers), but much more basic than the average Aman (did I say average? Nothing is average about Aman!).

Amanjiwo - Nobody could praise it more. It is worthy of every rave. The most beautiful, spiritual 'place of peace'. Mandatory for Amanjunkies.

Amanbagh - YES! A wonderful Aman in the true sense of the word. So many new things to see in this region and special staff that care so much. Great food, too.

Aman-i-Khas - Hmm. You have to go when it is not cold at night and you have to be a bit more adventurous as Amanjunkies go, as this is not the norm. We are talking tents here, and not the fixed variety that they have up the road at The Oberoi Vanyavilas. Beautifully done, though, and better since they put in the little dipping pool.

The Aman New Delhi - OK, it's not open yet, but I saw it and it's fabulous. Not conventional Amanresort though. This is the first Amancity.

Amankora - five lodges throughout Bhutan. Nobody does it better. 3 Lodges work for me. Five can be a little tiring.

Amansara - Forget Raffles. The best and only place to stay in Siem Reap is Amansara which is a real oasis after the bustle of the town and the temples. Not typically Aman in that it is in a town, so the 'peaceful' bit gets lost.

Amanpulo - The best white sand beach with red coral washed up on the shore and nobody else there. It is Heaven.

Hotel Bora Bora - closed for 2 years for a major re-model, and about time.

Amanjena - glorious oasis 12 minutes by car from the centre. Pool Pavilions are great. Maisons are even better. Maisons Jardins are so good you never want to leave.

Le Melezin - simply the best ski joint in the world.

Amangani - sometimes it's OK, other times it's not. Probably because the staff is often student part time. Great design. Not crazy about the food.

Amanyara - not sure what's happened here since Tania and John left. For the Caribbean it's pretty good, but it's not in the same league as the Asian Amans.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Vuitton, we're thinking of swapping AMANUSA with ST REGIS in Bali. I was told the beach access is not very easy from the rooms in AMANUSA, while ST REGIS offers beach front access. What do you mean with beach experience to be 'so good' at AMANUSA?

Thanks.
Broadwayboy, i'm sure vuittons will answer in much greater detail.
I'm not an amanusa fan, I prefer amankila. That said if I was staying in nusa dua amanusa would be my choice. It is stunning. They have regular golf carts taking one through the golf course to the beach. At the beach the bales and service is very good.

I have not stayed at the St.Regis.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:26 pm

Amanusa

I'm one of those who feel Amanusa gets it right. I love the car to the beach club. You get your own Bale, lounge chairs, and a much better beach then Amankila. The food it great, they have table service or you can eat in your Bale. Theres water to wash your feet of sand after a swim, cold towels and ice water to drink, and showers to wash the salt off before you eat. After the beach head to the enormous pool, and then after you tire of that, head back to your room which most likely will have it own pool to swim in and if not the outdoor shower is just as good as it gets. I tend to like that this Aman is over looked cause I have been here a few times and have been the only guest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.