FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanresorts Thread 2023/2024
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:51 pm
uclabruin82

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Recently completed a stay at Le Melezin and thought I would share a few notes since this is one of the least discussed Amans on the thread.

Pros:
1) Service: even during peak season, was great. Concierges were very responsive prior to arrival and then quick to make changes and respond as our plans changed. Were able to get us into almost all of our requested restaurants and we often received great tables. The pros in the ski room were great - and very patient with my family. Housekeeping is fantastic here which cannot be easy here given how much of a mess my son was making in the room every day.
2) Location: Ski-in / ski-out which is not necessarily a given everywhere and closer walk to the town than Cheval Blanc, L'Apogee. There is also a shuttle to drive you wherever you want and it was always a quick pick-up, again even during peak season
3) Room options: Somewhat specific to our needs, but the Chambre Village really fits what we were looking for. The sliding doors made it essentially a jr suite and easy for our son to nap / sleep in the room without impacting our ability to be in the room which is not easily found at the other top hotels. Also, while it is called Chambre Village, the views were still great and the daybed is huge so will be a nice feature for children to sleep in or for adults to just lounge on after a long day of skiing.
4) Turn-down: By far the nicest collection of turn-down gifts of any of the Amans we have stayed at
Cons:
1) The F&B options are limited. Breakfast is fine but nothing noteable like at other Amans. Then the only restaurant is Nama which is fine for sushi but you don't want to eat sushi every meal (and living in Los Angeles we don't fly to the alps to eat sushi). For other food you will have to leave the hotel, whereas other hotels are larger so have more options on-site. The bar is lively by Aman standards and quiet by Courchevel standards, so this is a +/- depending on what you are looking for.
2) Tea Time: This is the only Aman we have stayed at where they charged for tea during tea time. the treats were complimentary, but the tea itself was not.
3) Festive Season - Very minimal here relative to other "resort" Amans and the top hotels in the area. They had a set menu (western) which went form ~8:30 - 11:30, then a single entertainer from 11:30-midnight leading into the fireworks and then a glass of champagne was handed out. It would have been nice to have more entertainment, but others might like this.

Other Notes:
1) Kids Club: Small, but nice and always with an attendant (until 8pm). While not as "wow" as the kids club at Airelles, it was staffed and had more stuff for our little one whereas Airelles was more geared towards older kids. I think Cheval Blanc probably had the nicest kids club
2) Gym: Small with nice equipment, although not purchased by anyone who lifts weights I think. Seemed to be a common theme with the other gyms we saw in the area
3) Spa: Pool, jacuzzi, cold plunge pool, steam room, sauna and two shower "experiences". Nothing outside, but it was very nice and never crowded.

Overall:
The Le Melezin feels very relaxed and comfortable like staying in a home. You can be casual for breakfast or in the lounge and it is acceptable whereas other hotels in the area are much more happening but also showy. For us, it worked well but I could see other people enjoying Airelles or Cheval Blanc more depending on what you are looking for in your trip. Many of the employees are from Amanzoe and so if you go there often you will likely recognize some of them.

Hope this is helpful and happy to answer any other questions people may have.