Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When We Can Travel Again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:13 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I am less pessimistic than some. Antibody tests will be available soon, probably this month. A vaccine may be ready by December (distribution won’t be immediate).

The travel sector will rebound, however slowly, and not fully for a long while. There will be grievous losses. Nationally subsidized airlines are mostly safe. Many U.S. airlines will be bailed out. As business rebounds worldwide so will the airlines.

The big U.S. hotel conglomerates will be bailed as well. The smaller, independent luxury properties around the world are most at risk and they are my favorite venues.

The cruise lines? That’s a crapshoot. Some of the mega-corporate lines will limp through. Smaller lines (e.g., Windstar) are at risk.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:44 pm

I was glad to see the topic since it had a "glass is half full" vibe, though we seem to have fallen away from that a little...

That said my planning is for October of this year and beyond with the caveat of nothing that is not fully refundable. I am hoping to reinstate my visit to The Goring in London for this fall time period.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:15 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

When will flying resume somewhat, maybe:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/when-w...aveling-again/
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:25 pm

One of the big variables is going to be quarantine. Perhaps international travel is opened up in fall/winter this year. But i suspect this will entail a quarantine/isolation at destination or upon return or both.

I suspect Italy at least will be desperate and will try extra measures to bring in tourists (antibody test results, local health insurance etc). New Zealand will likely be at the other end of the spectrum.

Hopefully the serology studies currently undergoing will bring some good news and bring the fear down a notch,
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My worry is that some country or other jurisdiction could see one COVID-19 case (perhaps "imported" by a "foreigner"), panic, and probably irrationally suddenly and with no notice close borders or impose draconian health requirements or quarantines.

In terms of luxury hotels, I would hate to plan to stay in some particular hotel because of its outstanding restaurant (or the facilities) and then discover that the renowned restaurant or other feature is closed when I arrive. The hotel should inform guests in advance when such decisions are made and permit cancellation without penalty, etc., but this doesn't always work very well in reality.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My worry is that some country or other jurisdiction could see one COVID-19 case (perhaps "imported" by a "foreigner"), panic, and probably irrationally suddenly and with no notice close borders or impose draconian health requirements or quarantines.
this is very true. And trip cancellation/interruption insurance for covid is hard to come by now. Some are completely price insensitive but for myself won't be booking anything luxury non refundable unless its last minute. Already emailed nimmo bay about last minute bookings after reopening in june (home province) Not sure how the smaller safari operators will make it out of this though without domestic clientele. Certainly for Africa (for a multitude of other reasons as well) our cure will be far worse than the disease
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My fondest dream is just to get out of my land-locked home and be near the sea. My last great holiday was at the Malibu Beach Inn. That will definitely be my first stop post-quarantine.
KatW and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:08 pm

Spain could ban tourism until the end of Summer.
I guess travelling to another country before September might be impossible.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by obscure2k
My fondest dream is just to get out of my land-locked home and be near the sea. My last great holiday was at the Malibu Beach Inn. That will definitely be my first stop post-quarantine.
FYI, Malbu Beach Inn is still accepting reservations and guests. You can go tonight if you wanted
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
FYI, Malbu Beach Inn is still accepting reservations and guests. You can go tonight if you wanted
Yeah , hopefully todays rain is over and you have a beautiful sunset tonight......

Stay safe
Pausanias likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:07 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I doubt they would accept us and our 3 dogs
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

From NBC News, 9 April 2020

Government extends no-sail order for cruise ships

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday extended indefinitely the government's March 14 no-sail order for cruise ships, noting that 100 such vessels with an estimated 80,000 crew members aboard were offshore.

The prohibition was extended to "address the health and safety of crew at sea as well as communities surrounding U.S. cruise ship points of entry," CDC Director Robert Redfield said in a statement.

The order is effective until it's rescinded, the coronavirus national emergency is over or within 100 days, the CDC said.

The centers said at least 20 cruise ships in U.S. ports and waters have crew members on board who have the virus.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The first places I want to visit are long time favorites, the Four Seasons Hualalai and Paris.

I am also tempted by the new Mandarin Oriental Lake Como and the Four Seasons Kyoto, neither of which I have visited.

There is an incredible AA deal to Japan at the moment in First, 110,000 miles round trip starting late October.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still holding London in late June, in part because BA won't allow changes on any flight after May 31 yet. But it sure would be great to be able to take that trip. I give it 50-50 at best.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:10 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Australian government is telling us that it is highly likely we won't be travelling internationally until 2021. We have interstate travel bans in Australia too - Qantas group is flying 3 aircraft domestically (instead of ~200), and Virgin Australia is flying one route, once daily (SYD-MEL). They're saying even domestic travel out of our states will take time to be allowed too... So hard to believe this is reality really.

So Paris/TLV in Sep/Oct is probably increasingly unlikely despite me staying positive we can go. Vienna/Lech for Christmas/New Year sounds at risk now too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.