Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by specboi
Hey all,

I am in the middle of planning an upcoming Asia trip this May, it is a relatively short trip 12 days that will have the trip start in Hong Kong for a quick layover, then a 4 night stay at Amanoi ending in Tokyo before flying home on an JAL Award F ticket.

I am currently looking at which hotel to stay at in Tokyo, we will be there for only 2 nights.

I was initially looking at the Peninsula, as I have stayed at a few of their properties and loved them all (Hong Kong, Beijing, Chicago). However, reading this and the old Tokyo hotel thread, it seems like the Peninsula is not a popular choice amongst you all.
Is it mostly be cause of the busy lobby? I personally am not bothered by a touristy lobby, however what is important to me is service and concierge. When I stayed at Peninsula Beijing (post renovation in 2017), I was greeted by name every time I walked by the lobby, and the every staff I interacted was super friendly. Not sure if I can expect the same from Peninsula Tokyo.

I am looking to book a few hard to book Tokyo restaurants, so a competent concierge team is top on the list. As for budget, ideally I would like to keep the rates to below $1000CAD/night. (Right now with the crappy exchange rate, this does not seem to get me too far)

For my travel dates, here are some of the rates that my TA shared with me.
The Peninsula Tokyo
Grand Premier Park Room JPY 76,000.00/nt

Aman Tokyo
Deluxe Room (lead in room) JPY 110,000.00/nt

Hoshinoya Tokyo
Deluxe Sakura Room JPY 99,066.00/nt
Corner Deluxe Yuri Room JPY 108,332.00/nt

Are there other hotels that I should be considering, as you can see of the 3 above, Peninsula is right in my price range, with Aman and Hoshinoya both slightly above my ideal budget.
I am no longer SPG Plat (just gold), so not sure if staying a PG makes sense despite all the great reviews. Should I be considering the RC Club Level? (I haven't looked into pricing there so not sure if it is in my budget).

Thanks for the help
I would definitely try to find a LNF rate for PG and stay there. Your Canadian dollar would go a lot further if the room was cheaper than Yoshinoya and Aman. More money to spend and play in Tokyo! I bet you won't spend much time there anyway.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:33 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Just got denied a valid BRG at the PG, so I'm staying at the Hyatt Centric this quick one-night trip. I hear the views are dreadful, but for a quick one-night stay I'll survive and make it a point to spend more time outside the hotel.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helvetic
Just got denied a valid BRG at the PG, so I'm staying at the Hyatt Centric this quick one-night trip. I hear the views are dreadful, but for a quick one-night stay I'll survive and make it a point to spend more time outside the hotel.
The food and bar are both very good. The standard rooms are oddly arranged closets but one night not a big deal.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Seems like I'm the only one where PG doesn't really do it for me. Had tried to put in 2 high end sushiya reservations, which took then 6 days to achonowledge and respond to. As the reservation was only 3 weeks out, one of the sushiya ended up being fully booked by the time they responded.

At check in I wasn't offered any upgrade what so ever despite being ambassador and all rooms and suites fully opened for the duration of my stay. The service started well, but can be hit or miss.

Also what's with the security guard patrolling the hall? Always feel awkward when he starts giving a military salute of some sort.

The Park Hyatt has an aging hard product but so far just from tlmy experience at the New York Bar I'm likely to give them a shot for my next Tokyo trip in late Feb.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave510
Seems like I'm the only one where PG doesn't really do it for me. Had tried to put in 2 high end sushiya reservations, which took then 6 days to achonowledge and respond to. As the reservation was only 3 weeks out, one of the sushiya ended up being fully booked by the time they responded.

At check in I wasn't offered any upgrade what so ever despite being ambassador and all rooms and suites fully opened for the duration of my stay. The service started well, but can be hit or miss.

Also what's with the security guard patrolling the hall? Always feel awkward when he starts giving a military salute of some sort.

The Park Hyatt has an aging hard product but so far just from tlmy experience at the New York Bar I'm likely to give them a shot for my next Tokyo trip in late Feb.
Probably due to another guest falling asleep near a FT posters room last year. All hotels have security patroling floor to floor but this guy is just more visible.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by specboi
I wonder if concierge from luxury hotel truly makes a difference in terms of dining reservations.

About 3 years ago, I went on a Japan trip and stayed at the Sheraton Tokyo and the Westin Osaka, and between those two hotels, they got me reservations at 9 different micheliM restaurants, including 3* Yoshitake, 3* Kichisen, 3* Fujiya 1935, 3* Esaki.....so I'm wondering if time of the year and luck has more to do than the hotel concierge.

But regardless, this time around I am hoping to stay at more "upscale" properties...and hope their concierge can help me get some more hard to get reservations.
It does according to several rumours! Apparently a few hotels concierge teams have been banned from booking some of the more popular restaurants due to guests not showing up (according to several foodie blogs I'm following). Not sure of the authenticity of these claims, but I know for sure that it's considered extremely rude not showing up for your booking, even if it's prepaid.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lambi
It does according to several rumours! Apparently a few hotels concierge teams have been banned from booking some of the more popular restaurants due to guests not showing up (according to several foodie blogs I'm following). Not sure of the authenticity of these claims, but I know for sure that it's considered extremely rude not showing up for your booking, even if it's prepaid.
These claims are true - we had it happen at the Aman, per this note from our TA when we stayed earlier this year:

"As effect from July 2017, Sawada has concluded that they no longer take new reservation from Aman Tokyo after numerous issues between guest and restaurant until now. We regret to say that Aman Tokyo is not able to assist with Sawada’s booking."
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:03 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mickidon
These claims are true - we had it happen at the Aman, per this note from out TA when we stayed earlier this year:

As effect from July 2017, Sawada has concluded that they no longer take new reservation from Aman Tokyo after numerous issues between guest and restaurant until now. We regret to say that Aman Tokyo is not able to assist with Sawada’s booking.
Amusingly enough, the Prince Gallery got us a booking at Sawada with no trouble just a few weeks before our stay.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Amusingly enough, the Prince Gallery got us a booking at Sawada with no trouble just a few weeks before our stay.
Hence it has nothing to do with the prestige of the hotel, but more so the history of the previous guests that used the concierge services?

I know Sushi Saito is impossible, but it seems like a few concierge has been successful at getting Jiro Ginza, so I'll aim for that with Yoshitake as back up.

Last edited by specboi; Jan 12, 2019 at 11:42 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:27 pm

These claims are true - we had it happen at the Aman, per this note from our TA when we stayed earlier this year:

"As effect from July 2017, Sawada has concluded that they no longer take new reservation from Aman Tokyo after numerous issues between guest and restaurant until now. We regret to say that Aman Tokyo is not able to assist with Sawada’s booking."
It makes one wonder what “issues” could possibly arise. I have an idea though - pampered guests staying at Aman or other top hotels probably think that the time flexibility and the entertaining of special requests that they get at their hotels follows along with them when they go to a restaurant reserved through the hotel’s concierge. It does not.

My all time favorite sushi chef has now moved to Aman Tokyo, so I would never even need to book outside of the hotel while staying.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

It makes one wonder what “issues” could possibly arise. I have an idea though - pampered guests staying at Aman or other top hotels probably think that the time flexibility and the entertaining of special requests that they get at their hotels follows along with them when they go to a restaurant reserved through the hotel’s concierge. It does not.

My all time favorite sushi chef has now moved to Aman Tokyo, so I would never even need to book outside of the hotel while staying.
People not showing up at all, now showing up on time, wearing heavy perfume, taking photos with flash, being too loud and making a scene and so on... There's a few restaurants that have made heavy rule lists since a few years back
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Lambi
People not showing up at all, now showing up on time, wearing heavy perfume, taking photos with flash, being too loud and making a scene and so on... There's a few restaurants that have made heavy rule lists since a few years back
Two more to add to this list: one chef told a friend that the very extensive, specific dietary requirements of some guests added too much pressure and he was also frustrated by
the frequent unwillingness of people to try something out of their comfort zone. It's frustrating to have a whole group of guests be punished by a few, but that is the power wielded by the top restaurants. One could make the case that a hotel charging Aman's rates should somehow learn to work with said restaurants for the benefit of guests.....
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:46 am

Exactly, and I do not blame these restaurants in the slightest. As I said, the problem is that certain guests feel a sense of entitlement just because they happen to be staying at a certain hotel or are paying the going rate for a good meal. They do not realise that they are still expected to be punctual and to behave in accordance with local norms for a fine dining restaurant. The core, regular customers of restaurants have no desire to hear people talk loudly in English or to watch as pictures are snapped throughout a meal. And the top restaurants certainly have enough customers already, without needing to rely on tourist revenue.

...One could make the case that a hotel charging Aman's rates should somehow learn to work with said restaurants for the benefit of guests.....
I do not really agree here. There are flexible restaurants, and the in hotel restaurants in particular are good with accommodating guests’ special requests. Or, for the right price a restaurant can be bought out entirely under the right circumstances. However, in most cases I believe it is totally reasonable to expect hotel guests to behave in accordance with local norms, as would be the case anywhere in the world. In Japan in particular this means that you eat what is on the menu, unless a reasonable substitution is offered by the chef. It means you are expected to be on time, and to not disturb other diners. Really, just basic common sense stuff that is surprisingly a problem all too often.

When it gets to a point where certain tourists are more trouble than they are worth, or if they detract from the experience of regular local guests, the restaurants have every right to decline to accept reservations.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 13, 2019 at 5:01 am
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:54 am

Exactly, and I do not blame these restaurants in the slightest. As I said, the problem is that certain guests feel a sense of entitlement just because they happen to be staying at a certain hotel or are paying the going rate for a good meal. They do not realise that they are still expected to be punctual and to behave in accordance with local norms for a fine dining restaurant. The core, regular customers of restaurants have no desire to hear people talk loudly in English or to watch as pictures are snapped throughout a meal. And the top restaurants certainly have enough customers already, without needing to rely on tourist revenue.
Indeed.... and seeing some individuals taking an excessive amount of selfies during dinner makes me wish they would take their patronage elsewhere... maybe to Nusr-Et, where it somehow seems acceptable to behave bizarrely while having fast-food with paper napkins...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not really agree here. There are flexible restaurants, and the in hotel restaurants in particular are good with accommodating guests’ special requests. Or, for the right price a restaurant can be bought out entirely under the right circumstances. However, in most cases I believe it is totally reasonable to expect hotel guests to behave in accordance with local norms, as would be the case anywhere in the world. In Japan in particular this means that you eat what is on the menu, unless a reasonable substitution is offered by the chef. It means you are expected to be on time, and to not disturb other diners. Really, just basic common sense stuff that is surprisingly a problem all too often.

When it gets to a point where certain tourists are more trouble than they are worth, or if they detract from the experience of regular local guests, the restaurants have every right to decline to accept reservations.
Agree with all you've said. It is a privilege to go eat at these institutions and the owner has every right to expect a diner to behave within the local customs. They can also revoke the privilege as they see fit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.