FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:50 pm
Aventine
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by specboi
Hey all,

I am in the middle of planning an upcoming Asia trip this May, it is a relatively short trip 12 days that will have the trip start in Hong Kong for a quick layover, then a 4 night stay at Amanoi ending in Tokyo before flying home on an JAL Award F ticket.

I am currently looking at which hotel to stay at in Tokyo, we will be there for only 2 nights.

I was initially looking at the Peninsula, as I have stayed at a few of their properties and loved them all (Hong Kong, Beijing, Chicago). However, reading this and the old Tokyo hotel thread, it seems like the Peninsula is not a popular choice amongst you all.
Is it mostly be cause of the busy lobby? I personally am not bothered by a touristy lobby, however what is important to me is service and concierge. When I stayed at Peninsula Beijing (post renovation in 2017), I was greeted by name every time I walked by the lobby, and the every staff I interacted was super friendly. Not sure if I can expect the same from Peninsula Tokyo.

I am looking to book a few hard to book Tokyo restaurants, so a competent concierge team is top on the list. As for budget, ideally I would like to keep the rates to below $1000CAD/night. (Right now with the crappy exchange rate, this does not seem to get me too far)

For my travel dates, here are some of the rates that my TA shared with me.
The Peninsula Tokyo
Grand Premier Park Room JPY 76,000.00/nt

Aman Tokyo
Deluxe Room (lead in room) JPY 110,000.00/nt

Hoshinoya Tokyo
Deluxe Sakura Room JPY 99,066.00/nt
Corner Deluxe Yuri Room JPY 108,332.00/nt

Are there other hotels that I should be considering, as you can see of the 3 above, Peninsula is right in my price range, with Aman and Hoshinoya both slightly above my ideal budget.
I am no longer SPG Plat (just gold), so not sure if staying a PG makes sense despite all the great reviews. Should I be considering the RC Club Level? (I haven't looked into pricing there so not sure if it is in my budget).

Thanks for the help
I would definitely try to find a LNF rate for PG and stay there. Your Canadian dollar would go a lot further if the room was cheaper than Yoshinoya and Aman. More money to spend and play in Tokyo! I bet you won't spend much time there anyway.