Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:03 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Interesting. Can you elaborate on the reasons for your preferences?
I know you've read my review of the Prince Gallery, and have stayed there as well. For me, it's my favorite hotel worldwide… extremely well-rounded, luxurious, and modern.

Here are a few reasons I love it:
- A small intimate club lounge with sake all day and a selection of great drinks from ~6 to 11pm. They were even serving Yamazaki 12 on one of my visits.
- Great breakfast: in the club with a fantastic truffle poached egg dish, or upstairs in the restaurant with a traditional Japanese breakfast or western buffet
- That lobby bar! And the one hidden behind!
- The VIEWS
- The Spa
- Every room is great, even the base room
- Super modern feel: glass, marble, brushed steel, colors, etc. Much more of a fan of that vs. the old style luxury full of beige and gold.
- Incredible service
- Bathrooms… beautiful bathrooms, with views.
- Great Platinum treatment, generous upgrades, etc.

As for the Andaz:
- The buffet breakfast is wonderful.
- Love the style of the rooms, modern wood decor
- The views, at the top of Tokyo's tallest building
- Free happy hour for all guests

Park Hyatt:
- Historic, but dated.
- Much more of a traditional "luxury" room, with old-looking furnishings and a big bathroom
- Location sucks

Conrad:
- Location is not the greatest, but ok
- A bit "big"
- That said, room and suites have great furnishings and views
- Club lounge is nice, though the views are a bit restricted
- Fantastic service
- Solid breakfast buffet
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:11 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
I know you've read my review of the Prince Gallery, and have stayed there as well. For me, it's my favorite hotel worldwide… extremely well-rounded, luxurious, and modern.

Here are a few reasons I love it:
- A small intimate club lounge with sake all day and a selection of great drinks from ~6 to 11pm. They were even serving Yamazaki 12 on one of my visits.
- Great breakfast: in the club with a fantastic truffle poached egg dish, or upstairs in the restaurant with a traditional Japanese breakfast or western buffet
- That lobby bar! And the one hidden behind!
- The VIEWS
- The Spa
- Every room is great, even the base room
- Super modern feel: glass, marble, brushed steel, colors, etc. Much more of a fan of that vs. the old style luxury full of beige and gold.
- Incredible service
- Bathrooms… beautiful bathrooms, with views.
- Great Platinum treatment, generous upgrades, etc.

As for the Andaz:
- The buffet breakfast is wonderful.
- Love the style of the rooms, modern wood decor
- The views, at the top of Tokyo's tallest building
- Free happy hour for all guests

Park Hyatt:
- Historic, but dated.
- Much more of a traditional "luxury" room, with old-looking furnishings and a big bathroom
- Location sucks

Conrad:
- Location is not the greatest, but ok
- A bit "big"
- That said, room and suites have great furnishings and views
- Club lounge is nice, though the views are a bit restricted
- Fantastic service
- Solid breakfast buffet
Loved your reasons for loving the Prince Gallery; I couldn’t agree more. I also loved the Prince Gallery, dare I say as much as the Aman. Unlike you, we had occasion to also visit the Aman for tea, the MO for lunch, the Pen, and the FS. Only the Prince Gallery and Aman hard products really wowed us. The FS seemed much more like a dated PH, and the Pen seemed well past its prime—as if it really were from a different era. The MO had great dining options, but was incredibly tired despite some lovely views. Service was great at the PG and MO, but the Aman and Pen really fell short IMO.

We’d choose the Prince Gallery again in a heartbeat. No question for us.

Thanks for sharing those comparative summaries for the PH, Andaz, and Conrad.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:27 am

What makes the pool at PH better than Andaz? Both are very high up, and Andaz pool appears to have high windows with views overlooking the city just like PH's. The only difference appears to be that Andaz's pool only has 1 lap lane?

Originally Posted by gengar
Conrad is my value luxury choice in Tokyo; it's usually a good deal on points and paying for suites is often a steal relative to other lux Tokyo properties, especially with a night off via FHR. The hard product is very good and concierge excellent IME. The big weakness is on-property F&B, but even then the breakfast buffet is very good. I'm not sure why it isn't better-regarded on here; discussing just Tokyo lux properties I've stayed at, it has better hard product IMO than the RC, far better concierge IME than the MO (I actually canceled my MO stay b/c of horrid pre-arrival experience with the concierge), and doesn't have the noise problems of FS:M. (And it's better than the Pen, but that is a property that is, fairly, nearly-universally maligned on here.) I had a great stay at the Palace recently, but the Conrad is my clear go-to if I need to be in that area of Tokyo or if the Palace is not available.

I haven't stayed at the PH but have a points booking coming up at the Andaz, although I'll switch over to Palace if space opens up.

All that said, I do think it's important to factor location into your decision.
Interesting feedback on Conrad. It's good to get an affirmation that Conrad's right up there with the rest. I have more experience with luxury hotels in HKG and, over there, I would say Peninsula > Conrad=I.Shangrila > K.Shangrila. I think Conrad Tokyo is at least on par with Conrad HKG hotel-wise (even though I love Conrad HKG more due to friendlier staff and better elite treatment).

So, would this be a reasonable top-9 (in no particular order)?

Prince Gallery
Ritz Carlton
Aman
Andaz
Park Hyatt
Palace
Shangrila
Mandarin Oriental
Conrad

And then the next tier would be: Peninsula, Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt, Hotel Tokyu Capitol, Chinzanso, Sakura Towers?
Wonder how Chinzanso is now. I stayed there not long before it debranded, but even then it wasn't as good a hotel as Conrad is.

I'm not familiar with Andaz Tokyo or the whole Andaz concept for that matter, but I'm sort of curious to see for myself why it gets such high marks here when it goes for same points as Grand Hyatt.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 2, 2018 at 8:59 am Reason: consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by evergrn
What makes the pool at PH better than Andaz? Both are very high up, and Andaz pool appears to have high windows with views overlooking the city just like PH's. The only difference appears to be that Andaz's pool only has 1 lap lane?
Two lap lanes, much bigger pool deck, and full 360 degree view of the city, as the pool is on the roof of the building. And the PH locker room and spa is another level of swank relative to the Andaz and to pretty much any other city spa.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Interesting feedback on Conrad. It's good to get an affirmation that Conrad's right up there with the rest.
Just to be clear, IME the Conrad is an obvious tier below the Palace (although caveat-ing that I stayed in a specialty suite at the Palace) - and I wouldn't be surprised if it's also a tier below other luxury Tokyo properties I haven't stayed at, like the Aman or even Shangri-La. My point is simply that IME many of the luxury Tokyo properties discussed here have sufficient deficiencies (or, in the case of the MO, extraordinary deficiencies) in one or some areas that necessarily make the Conrad a consideration, especially when taking price into account.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Two lap lanes, much bigger pool deck, and full 360 degree view of the city, as the pool is on the roof of the building. And the PH locker room and spa is another level of swank relative to the Andaz and to pretty much any other city spa.
That sounds great. But is there a poolside jacuzzi? Also do they make you wear a swim cap (I hate wearing it, although I prefer to see other people wear it... how selfish is that!)? At Conrad, you don't have to. I seem to recall I had to at Grand Hyatt.

Originally Posted by gengar
Just to be clear, IME the Conrad is an obvious tier below the Palace (although caveat-ing that I stayed in a specialty suite at the Palace) - and I wouldn't be surprised if it's also a tier below other luxury Tokyo properties I haven't stayed at, like the Aman or even Shangri-La. My point is simply that IME many of the luxury Tokyo properties discussed here have sufficient deficiencies (or, in the case of the MO, extraordinary deficiencies) in one or some areas that necessarily make the Conrad a consideration, especially when taking price into account.
I get what you're saying. But... and I don't know about Palace but... I've been tracking paid rates for PH and Andaz, and it seems to me that Andaz and Conrad are of similar price point. At both hotels, you can find double occupancy rates from 40,000's but rarely less than that. And Conrad is consistently more expensive than 4.5-star type places like Capitol Tokyu and Sakura Towers. So it seems to me that Conrad is priced like an ultra-luxury place.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
That sounds great. But is there a poolside jacuzzi? Also do they make you wear a swim cap (I hate wearing it, although I prefer to see other people wear it... how selfish is that!)? At Conrad, you don't have to. I seem to recall I had to at Grand Hyatt.
No poolside Jacuzzi, it's inside the locker room and spa area. The one at the Andaz isn't really a Jacuzzi, it's more of a set of bubble seats and the one next to the pool isn't very high pressure. But it's nice. The GH has a "true" poolside Jacuzzi. As for the swimming cap, it's a city regulation, don't know how the Conrad gets away with not enforcing it.

Last edited by Pickles; Dec 2, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I get what you're saying. But... and I don't know about Palace but... I've been tracking paid rates for PH and Andaz, and it seems to me that Andaz and Conrad are of similar price point. At both hotels, you can find double occupancy rates from 40,000's but rarely less than that. And Conrad is consistently more expensive than 4.5-star type places like Capitol Tokyu and Sakura Towers. So it seems to me that Conrad is priced like an ultra-luxury place.
As I mentioned in my original post on this topic, the value proposition at Conrad comes from 1) using points for base rooms or 2) paying for suites.

To put it in perspective, the last two times I stayed at Conrad, the King Suite Bay View was cheaper than a base room at the Palace over the same dates.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

No poolside Jacuzzi, it's inside the locker room and spa area. The one at the Andaz isn't really a Jacuzzi, it's more of a set of bubble seats and the one next to the pool isn't very high pressure. But it's nice. The GH has a "true" poolside Jacuzzi. As for the swimming cap, it's a city regulation, don't know how the Conrad gets away with not enforcing it.
The Prince Gallery has a lovely pool and poolside jacuzzi, as well as amazing views of the city from both. The entire spa and gym are quite impressive, actually. The pool does require a swimming cap.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:44 pm

Did not know that was a law. That's good to know. I know all swimming schools require it (including the one our kids go to in Tokyo), and there've been times I was turned away from using the hotel pool because of the cap rule. Wouldn't be surprised if Conrad has the same rule but, if they do, I don't want to know lol. Maybe they just gave up trying to enforce it because there're too many foreigners staying there. There's no mandatory pre-pool shower or sanitation foot pool there either. I at least will stop by the shower by the entrance staircase. I hate wearing swimcaps, but I personally think it's disgusting to get in the pool without showering first. Most Americans staying there will jump right in without a shower, let alone no swimcap. Staff walks by the pool frequently, but I've never seen them say a word. But if I have to purchase a swimcap for the sake of experiencing PH's incredible pool, so be it.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Did not know that was a law. That's good to know. I know all swimming schools require it (including the one our kids go to in Tokyo), and there've been times I was turned away from using the hotel pool because of the cap rule. Wouldn't be surprised if Conrad has the same rule but, if they do, I don't want to know lol. Maybe they just gave up trying to enforce it because there're too many foreigners staying there. There's no mandatory pre-pool shower or sanitation foot pool there either. I at least will stop by the shower by the entrance staircase. I hate wearing swimcaps, but I personally think it's disgusting to get in the pool without showering first. Most Americans staying there will jump right in without a shower, let alone no swimcap. Staff walks by the pool frequently, but I've never seen them say a word. But if I have to purchase a swimcap for the sake of experiencing PH's incredible pool, so be it.
It doesn't even have to be a Speedo tight silicon one. Just get one of the Mizuno relatively loose meshy ones.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:32 am

The hotel provides appropriate swim caps. You do not need to bring your own.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub

The Prince Gallery has a lovely pool and poolside jacuzzi, as well as amazing views of the city from both. The entire spa and gym are quite impressive, actually. The pool does require a swimming cap.
Based on your post here, I decided to try this hotel for my next trip to Tokyo. Look forward to it, although I have not much status with Marriott ( Elite Silver only ) and I only booked a premier room.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:17 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Based on your post here, I decided to try this hotel for my next trip to Tokyo. Look forward to it, although I have not much status with Marriott ( Elite Silver only ) and I only booked a premier room.
I hope your stay is wonderful, regardless. Hopefully, you managed a good rate compared with the other peer luxury hotels?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub

I hope your stay is wonderful, regardless. Hopefully, you managed a good rate compared with the other peer luxury hotels?
Yes I did and the rates are quite competitive. ^
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.