Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m
Prive rates should count right?
I do not know. Usually it is specifically the Hyatt Daily Rate and it must be booked directly.

I have previously asked to use suite upgrades on rates that included benefits, but was told I could not even though those rates were higher than the Daily Rate.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:47 pm

Rank/list your top 10 hotels

Sorry if this has already been covered already (I didn't see this discussed in the past 4-5 pages). I'd be interested to hear see people's list of top 10 Tokyo luxury hotels... either ranked or unranked or grouped into 2-3 sub-tiers.

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the highest echelon of Tokyo hotels. Everywhere I've stayed at has been like 4-star, except Conrad which is the only 5-star I've stayed at within the past 5 years in Tokyo. But I've got some Hyatt points to burn and am thinking about Park Hyatt or Andaz. I've also stayed at Four Seasons, but that was a while ago. Have never stayed at places like Palace, Aman, Ritz, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Park Hyatt, Andaz (I've eaten at some of those places, though). Where does Park Hyatt rank? Is it better than Andaz (PH requires more pts)? I wonder if Conrad even ranks amongst Tokyo's top 10. I'm also curious as to where Mandarin Oriental and Shangri-la rank in your opinion.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by evergrn
Sorry if this has already been covered already (I didn't see this discussed in the past 4-5 pages). I'd be interested to hear see people's list of top 10 Tokyo luxury hotels... either ranked or unranked or grouped into 2-3 sub-tiers.

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the highest echelon of Tokyo hotels. Everywhere I've stayed at has been like 4-star, except Conrad which is the only 5-star I've stayed at within the past 5 years in Tokyo. But I've got some Hyatt points to burn and am thinking about Park Hyatt or Andaz. I've also stayed at Four Seasons, but that was a while ago. Have never stayed at places like Palace, Aman, Ritz, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Park Hyatt, Andaz (I've eaten at some of those places, though). Where does Park Hyatt rank? Is it better than Andaz (PH requires more pts)? I wonder if Conrad even ranks amongst Tokyo's top 10. I'm also curious as to where Mandarin Oriental and Shangri-la rank in your opinion.
PH is much more formal than Andaz. An older traditional style hotel where Andaz is like the young fun loving cousin. I think PH would be worth the additional 5000 points for the concierge, room service breakfast (if Hyatt Globalist) and spacious rooms.

My favorite Tokyo list (in no particular order).

Shangrila
Andaz
RC
MO
Prince Gallery Kioicho (some amazing deals to be had when combined with Stariott status)
PH (I used to have a very high opinion of this place but their totally unprofessional response to their own food error to my severe peanut allergy put me off them).
Aman - amazing hardware but nothing else.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Aventine
PH is much more formal than Andaz. An older traditional style hotel where Andaz is like the young fun loving cousin. I think PH would be worth the additional 5000 points for the concierge, room service breakfast (if Hyatt Globalist) and spacious rooms.

Shangrila
Andaz
RC
MO
Prince Gallery Kioicho (some amazing deals to be had when combined with Stariott status)
PH (I used to have a very high opinion of this place but their totally unprofessional response to their own food error to my severe peanut allergy put me off them).
Pity your experience at AmanTokyo was not like ours ..
Besides the amazing hardware , the spa was one of better ones we have been globally .
Some outstanding staff , may have highlighted a few in my AmanTokyo TR .

Whatever room service , food & service , we had was at least as good as that of the Cafe ‘ s , cannot comment on Arva or Musashi

Will like to stay MO & Palace too .. we shall see where we are in 2019 . As it is AmanTokyo seems fully booked quite a bit .
Do note the emperor ‘ s coronation & RWC in October ‘ 19 too

Last edited by FlyerEC; Dec 1, 2018 at 1:28 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:13 pm

Shangrila
Andaz
RC
MO
So would you say that these 7 hotels are amongst what you think are the top 10 hotels in Tokyo?
In addition to this, I'm sure Palace and Peninsula would come before Conrad. So that's 9.

Do you think Conrad might barely crack top 10?

With regards to Andaz vs PH... I don't have any status (only Discoverist), and my priorities would be 1).breakfast buffet; 2).opulence of bathroom; 3).view; 4).pool; 5).family-friendliness. Should I go with PH?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

...With regards to Andaz vs PH... I don't have any status (only Discoverist), and my priorities would be 1).breakfast buffet; 2).opulence of bathroom; 3).view; 4).pool; 5).family-friendliness. Should I go with PH?
I'm hampered because I've only stayed at the PH, not the Andaz. But I'd be surprised if the PH wasn't top in bathroom, view, and pool. at least. Even the view from the pool is amazing.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'm hampered because I've only stayed at the PH, not the Andaz. But I'd be surprised if the PH wasn't top in bathroom, view, and pool. at least. Even the view from the pool is amazing.
Okay thanks, well then I should go with PH. Will be sometime next year.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

So would you say that these 7 hotels are amongst what you think are the top 10 hotels in Tokyo?
In addition to this, I'm sure Palace and Peninsula would come before Conrad. So that's 9.

With regards to Andaz vs PH... I don't have any status (only Discoverist), and my priorities would be 1).breakfast buffet; 2).opulence of bathroom; 3).view; 4).pool; 5).family-friendliness. Should I go with PH?
Pensinula would be at the bottom of most people's Tokyo luxury lists for a myriad of reasons. Conrad too considering this is the Luxury Forum.

Andaz vs. PH
Breakfast buffet- Could be a tie. I don't know because I only had it once at Andaz and never at PH.

Bathroom opulence - PH by a hair for marble over Andaz wood. Just don't like that there's no overhead shower there. If you want a nice bathroom then you should go with Aman or Shangrila.

View - I like both of them but prefer seeing the tower everyday than a speck of Fuji on a clear day.

Pool - PH. Still a heck of a pool.

Family friendliness - I think both hotels will treat your kids just fine.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:55 am

I can only compare the Conrad to the Shangrila. Although the Conrad is very nice especially the suit rooms the Shangrila is a couple of notches above that. The service is far more personable, the room hardware better quality especially the lovely beds. The bathroom is also lovely although the larger Conrad suite bathroom just shades it due to the walk in wardrobe.

Back in Tokyo in three weeks but can't stretch to the top level this time so going to try the Tokyo Station Hotel and Club level and the ANA IC unless a last minute rate drip appears at the MO or Shangrila.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Andaz vs. PH
Breakfast buffet- Could be a tie. I don't know because I only had it once at Andaz and never at PH.

Bathroom opulence - PH by a hair for marble over Andaz wood. Just don't like that there's no overhead shower there. If you want a nice bathroom then you should go with Aman or Shangrila.

View - I like both of them but prefer seeing the tower everyday than a speck of Fuji on a clear day.

Pool - PH. Still a heck of a pool.

Family friendliness - I think both hotels will treat your kids just fine.
Breakfast buffet: I'll take the Andaz over the PH nowadays. For a long time, the PH breakfast buffet was the gold standard, but no more. Slow service, crowded, janky selection.

Bathroom: A tie, although the Andaz has better water pressure with the overhead showers. If you get a corner room or a suite, you'll get the Argan shmaltz, which is as nice as the Aesop junk but it comes in bigger bottles, so more to steal.

View: I like both but I prefer the Andaz as the four sides have more interesting stuff going on, although the Mt. Fuji view is slowly getting blocked by new skyscrapers. It may be gone at some point soon.

Pool: PH. Let us repeat. Still one heck of a pool.

Family friendliness: Probably both the same, which is unfortunate, as I can't stand kids. Would be nice if both hotels treated them badly and this was a well-known fact. Ban them altogether would be my preference.

Location: I'll take the Andaz any day over the PH. There, I said it. I used to stay at the PH assiduously, but since the Andaz opened, I've only stayed at the Andaz. But I do miss the PH pool and the atrium lobby.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:50 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by Pickles
Family friendliness: Probably both the same, which is unfortunate, as I can't stand kids. Would be nice if both hotels treated them badly and this was a well-known fact. Ban them altogether would be my preference.
I wonder if there's an interesting story behind these feelings?

You may want to call Hyatt at 1-888-344-9288 and share your thoughts with them.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by DSI
I wonder if there's an interesting story behind these feelings?

You may want to call Hyatt at 1-888-344-9288 and share your thoughts with them.
No, it's generalized. I just don't like children, at a Hyatt or pretty much anywhere else within my vision or aural range.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Conrad is my value luxury choice in Tokyo; it's usually a good deal on points and paying for suites is often a steal relative to other lux Tokyo properties, especially with a night off via FHR. The hard product is very good and concierge excellent IME. The big weakness is on-property F&B, but even then the breakfast buffet is very good. I'm not sure why it isn't better-regarded on here; discussing just Tokyo lux properties I've stayed at, it has better hard product IMO than the RC, far better concierge IME than the MO (I actually canceled my MO stay b/c of horrid pre-arrival experience with the concierge), and doesn't have the noise problems of FS:M. (And it's better than the Pen, but that is a property that is, fairly, nearly-universally maligned on here.) I had a great stay at the Palace recently, but the Conrad is my clear go-to if I need to be in that area of Tokyo or if the Palace is not available.

I haven't stayed at the PH but have a points booking coming up at the Andaz, although I'll switch over to Palace if space opens up.

All that said, I do think it's important to factor location into your decision.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:42 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I can assure you that's not the case. Prince Gallery and Andaz bathrooms are both better than PH. Prince Gallery has super modern bathrooms with views. Andaz has gorgeous massive wooden bathrooms with soaking tubs and bathrooms.

My favorites hotels in tokyo, starting from #1 :

1. Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho
2. Andaz Toranomon Hills
3. Park Hyatt
4. Conrad

Those are the only 5* I've really enjoyed. The rest (Sheraton, HR, Grand Hyatt, various non-Western) were all mediocre.

I have not tried Aman / Pen / MO / Shangri-La.
RichardInSF likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 1, 2018 at 11:14 pm Reason: comsecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
My favorites hotels in tokyo, starting from #1 :

1. Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho
2. Andaz Toranomon Hills
3. Park Hyatt
4. Conrad

Those are the only 5* I've really enjoyed. The rest (Sheraton, HR, Grand Hyatt, various non-Western) were all mediocre.

I have not tried Aman / Pen / MO / Shangri-La.
Interesting. Can you elaborate on the reasons for your preferences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.