Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
This GM and the CB/LVMH brands should be embarrassed.
I couldn't agree more. Someone needs to remind him he works in the 'hospitality' industry.
Sealink and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
most agents do not. while expectations for luxury agent can be higher, $100K a year in spend is only $10K a year in income or less.

id be curious to hear really vague/general comments from agents here re their experiences re cancellations/walking.
Lurking here, but got too angry to stay on the sidelines.

- First, I'd be absolutely f**ing livid. A resort of this caliber, so difficult to get to, *cannot* just 'cancel' a reservation at 2 weeks notice. It shouldn't even be a consideration. It shouldn't be possible. I've fired entire cities for transgressions farrrr less than this.

- This actually could be worse for the OP. They could have let them travel, but not tell them that the rest of the resort was reserved for a drunken hip-hop party. Isn't this the dude that needed to hawk cheap American beer to get some extra money? The whole FS Maui and Modern family thing comes to mind here. That FS allowed that fiasco still frosts me.

- I think I'll boycott the ENTIRE Cheval Blanc chain in response. Too bad as some of the resorts were on my list. Although RANDHELI was not one of'em. I don't do tuxedos.

- I'm a little bored. I'll try to get a hold of corporate and get an explanation.

- To the OP silverlim: We're with you man. We're not 4chan, but the crowd here can make a fuss loud enough to get attention.
bhrubin and mumum17 like this.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Aug 24, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re agent, hotel, etc - middlemen may cause breakdowns in communication

one thing i forgot to say re aman indonesia is theyre all owned by aman

not too long ago FS hualalai closed for storm without notice (in middle of stay, and guests arriving from other FS hawaii) IIRC all here were not re accommodated, and had even been told to come from other FS in hawaii. some on TA were treated very well and re accommodated, others were not. very odd it varied so dramatically.

same thing at amanpulo, MacMyDay did not get good communication mid stay. i dont know whether he asked if extra flights were being scheduled. (someone told him full.) as amanpulo owner owns the 'airline'. presumably many villa owners present, not sure what happened with them. etc. this is after tapa left pulo.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 24, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:17 pm

It wasn't an overbooking; it was a late buyout. In this case, it might help you to read the thread to know what actually happened.

The hotel is ignoring its prior booking to permit the buyout and get all that cash, but is then ignoring its responsibility to the prior booking by not generously compensating for the change/cancellation. The hotel wants it both ways and is behaving shamelessly. This GM and the CB/LVMH brands should be embarrassed.
Yep. Money's were exchanged and the OP had a confirmed booking. Anyway, Jani is a nice resort and a good tradeoff.

Further, when you consider the low rom court and size of plunge pool at CBR, few resorts in the Maldives really compare. Jani might not be as "contemporary" but it's the only comparable resort.

I won't go back to CBR again. Their response was awful.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

loofa133 and others giving examples, thanks!! ^

tell jani/etc if youre ok switching rooms mid stay
could boat between jani and velaa mid stay, etc
i think velaa and kanuhura are closest to jani >

Originally Posted by Epicura
we had a 2 nights stay at LHW Kanuhura after Jani.
jani availability >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post28730450
maldives properties by location >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post26788474

soneva has (one?) 2BR yacht

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 24, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:30 pm

I was at Soneva Jani only a few weeks back and still have the mobile number from the resort manager with me. I will copy a link to this thread to her and ask what she can do.

OP: send me an email on [email protected] and I will try to put you in touch with Shaaz.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:35 pm

Interestingly, the GM is not only GM but also VP Global Operations for LVMH Hotel Management. So it's not just this property, it's their culture. Yikes.

I don't have his contact details/email but I hope he reads this thread.

On a lighter note, I am really happy about the response by everyone here for OP -- I am aware of Cheval Blanc's opinion of FT, but I believe they really lost significant (long-term!) business over this issue. Should get them thinking.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:40 pm

FWIW: my quick review

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28666563-post60.html
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:54 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by scented
What is the GM doing? Lounging around?
He's busy preparing for Jay Z!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:00 pm

Having the last minute "buy out" client pay for the reaccommodation and f&b seems like an elegant solution. Good job Aman.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
It wasn't an overbooking; it was a late buyout. In this case, it might help you to read the thread to know what actually happened.

The hotel is ignoring its prior booking to permit the buyout and get all that cash, but is then ignoring its responsibility to the prior booking by not generously compensating for the change/cancellation. The hotel wants it both ways and is behaving shamelessly. This GM and the CB/LVMH brands should be embarrassed.
By accepting the other booking the hotel is effectively overbooked, that was my point. I hope you saw that I said the hotel has taken what I think is a terrible decision.

And I totally agree that generous, over-generous compensation is in order.

Last edited by Sealink; Aug 31, 2017 at 6:36 am
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:08 pm

Terrible. I would want refund, accommodation at another equal resort and 50% off future stay...

But confusingly I couldn't figure out; is it confirmed that OP is being bumped for Jay Z? Harkens back to when Beyonce delivered at Lenox Hill and mothers couldn't get in to see their babies....

FDW
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Interestingly, the GM is not only GM but also VP Global Operations for LVMH Hotel Management. So it's not just this property, it's their culture. Yikes.
Oh dear - that's not good at all.

I don't have his contact details/email but I hope he reads this thread.

On a lighter note, I am really happy about the response by everyone here for OP -- I am aware of Cheval Blanc's opinion of FT, but I believe they really lost significant (long-term!) business over this issue. Should get them thinking.
Whether or not Cheval Blanc holds FT in high (or low) esteem should be beside the point. The overwhelming sentiment here (which I share) is that the property is at fault and doing precious little to set things right. Anyone reading this thread will have serious hesitation with making a booking at Cheval Blanc. Personally, I will never make any attempt to stay at this property no matter how nice the glamour shots on the website look.

Chain hotels (SPG etc) have strict policies in place for walking Platinum / Diamond guests. If they can get it right then surely a property of the purported calibre of Cheval Blanc can do better. There is a reason these types of properties command the prices they do. In this case, it's long past time for Cheval Blanc to own up to the situation and set things right.

In my mind:

- Full and immediate refund of any deposits + any FX fluctuations that may have happened
- Immediate comped* re-accomodation at a similar calibre property (O&O for example)
- A few comped meals / spa treatments / experiential outings at the new accommodation
- All transfers to / from airport & the new property
- Offer to pay any change fees for airline tickets
- 50% off future stay
- Written letter of apology from the GM

* How Cheval Blanc comps this is up to them. They can pay or they can get whoever bought them out pay. It's their problem to deal with, not the OPs.
mumum17 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

But confusingly I couldn't figure out; is it confirmed that OP is being bumped for Jay Z? Harkens back to when Beyonce delivered at Lenox Hill and mothers couldn't get in to see their babies....
Just a joke....that keeps on giving.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

note one/some in thread, and previously, accepted discount/etc for date change

re logistics, maldives has fewer rooms and higher rates than many other places

agree re apology/etc in terms of apologizing for inconvenience and lack of stay

one person brought up jayz, not sure why. i heard media mostly wrong re lenox

i might value upgrade/discount more than refund, if rebooking matches prepaid
even when assuming hotels do not pay other hotels published rates/costs, etc
in unlikely event of owners villa, yacht, etc i might take no refund & any dates

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 24, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.