Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
Thank you. We've actually been to Boulders, but it was quite a while ago. Absolutely loved it but would like to try something a bit different in style but equally (if not more) luxurious. Ebony suits our taste perfectly though I wonder if we should try a new area outside Sabi Sands. When I last spoke with a safari company, they recommended Royal Malewane as the most over the top lodge followed by Sasakwa. I admit I like the look of Royal Malewane the most, but it does lose points for the fence (though as I posted previously, parts of it appear to be coming down). Tanzania is a bit more hassle for us versus South Africa because of the longer transit and potential tsetse flies, but the game viewing (in season) and scenery look spectacular. However, I'm concerned about the game viewing there if the trip doesn't align with the Great Migration.
Tanzania IMHO is best if you can hit it during the migration. We went one year in January and started at Nirongoro Crater lodge ( yes it is crowded) but then with our private guide drive down through the gorgeous plains during the migration to an amazing mobile tented camp - not luxurious but one of the best game viewing experiences ever and with no crowds! So Norongoro Crater is worth doing if you add this on during the right time of year.( Jan-Feb)

singita Grumeti the migration tends to be June - early July depending on the year. yes we had tetse flies when there and were there late June - end of migration. We loved it but if you want a more guaranteed big 5 during various times of year, then Royal Malewane is it. But the Grumeti reserve is just a different experience with big plains and vistas as far as the eye can see. And you will see game, just not as much. It is a matter of what you prefer and if you want a really different experience. The tetse flies were in certain areas. Not everywhere. And the guides will try to avoid. Just depends on where you go and what you want to see. Both locations are amazing! Timing is key IMO for all of Africa. We like to hit the migration in the east which locations vary depending on time of year - e.g. Grumeti June- early July vs past the Crater Jan-Feb. we like Southern Africa June-Sept due to less humidity, no bugs, low grass and little bush which gives great game viewing but many people like year round - dec- march better weather in capetowm, warmer, etc. RM we went in July. Loved it and will return.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks!

How would you (and anyone else) compare the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge with Singita Sasakwa/Faru Faru and Singita Boulders/Ebony/Sweni/Lebombo? Both in terms of property, food/beverage, air con (haha), and wildlife viewing?

I’m currently of the opinion that while seeing the crater wildlife would be nice, the crater’s public park conditions, including the traffic and long drives in and out of the crater, not going off road, etc, make it not quite worth the trouble for us. For us, seeing the different (particularly carnivorous) wildlife and staying in the nicest luxury accommodations with the best food/beverage are what’s most critical (along with hopefully and luckily seeing the Great Migration.) If I’m off base, please do let me know....but it seems to me that it may be more worthwhile for us to just stay longer at Grumeti between Sasakwa, Faru Faru, and perhaps a tented camp (though without air con makes that a 1-2 night terrifying option for me) and just skip the crater altogether. I get the idea that people stay at the crater because they’ve been told they absolutely must but that it isn’t quite as unique or spectacular as most offer.
Crater is worth doing first as part of a private guided trip by vehicle into theSerengeti as part of the migration in that area. You can spend a day or 2 in the rather ( yes crowded) and then with guide drive across the plains filled with animals as far as the eye can see during that area's migration - Jan-Feb. we had a magical time and the Crater was more of a jumping off place but interesting despite the crowds. You have to get into the crater park early and leave early! But then I love all things Africa.

The timing to do the crater and that drive into the Serengeti for the migration is different than Singita Grumeti. Grumeti you want to do June-July and the crater and that drive into the Serengeti Jan-Feb. so two different trips! And you are right, the crater is not the highlight. But interesting and some if only going to Tanzania once might add it to Grumeti. If you plan to go back again I would recommend different trips depending on time of year.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:11 am

Any thoughts on Jamala Madikwe? It also fits our style and has rave reviews. Rooms look luxurious but cost only half that of Singita Ebony/Royal Malewane.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:10 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Any thoughts on Jamala Madikwe? It also fits our style and has rave reviews. Rooms look luxurious but cost only half that of Singita Ebony/Royal Malewane.
Our neighbor just joined a group of her friends with a stay there at Jamala Madikwe and posted all sorts of details and photos/videos on Facebook. Suffice to say they had a fabulous time and the place really does look quite impressive. Her wildlife viewing was also extraordinary, as she has posted videos and photos of lion prides, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, buffalo, giraffe, etc.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:44 pm

Have not been, but will try sometime. It's supposed to be luxurious.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:04 am

Thanks!

How would you (and anyone else) compare the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge with Singita Sasakwa/Faru Faru and Singita Boulders/Ebony/Sweni/Lebombo? Both in terms of property, food/beverage, air con (haha), and wildlife viewing?

I’m currently of the opinion that while seeing the crater wildlife would be nice, the crater’s public park conditions, including the traffic and long drives in and out of the crater, not going off road, etc, make it not quite worth the trouble for us. For us, seeing the different (particularly carnivorous) wildlife and staying in the nicest luxury accommodations with the best food/beverage are what’s most critical (along with hopefully and luckily seeing the Great Migration.) If I’m off base, please do let me know....but it seems to me that it may be more worthwhile for us to just stay longer at Grumeti between Sasakwa, Faru Faru, and perhaps a tented camp (though without air con makes that a 1-2 night terrifying option for me) and just skip the crater altogether. I get the idea that people stay at the crater because they’ve been told they absolutely must but that it isn’t quite as unique or spectacular as most offer.
If its your first Safari - crater lodge is fine. If you have been to private reserves where you can offroad: you will hate it.
Its packed, you can only use 2 different fixed spots for Toilet breaks and Food/Drink break. There will be a LOT of cars around. Typically a Lion sighting will involve 20 cars sitting next to each other (All cars are closed cars).

Its just not nice - the lodge itself is very nice but the game viewing really is bad in terms of quality/amount of cars etc.

For me Boulders is the best package, then sasakwa (hate those tse tse flies).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great updates and details!

rwanda >
bisate (wilderness safaris) - 6
singita - 8 + 4BR villa
O&O gorilla nest - ?
curious re locations, and if singita handles any differently
(obviously different situation from regular safari properties)
Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
Bisate does not provide any shuttle service.
changing subject >
adding to my previous post >
concession in public park/reserve
312km2 - 13 - 7 duba + 6

also similar new less luxury wilderness safaris in botswana

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 25, 2018 at 2:01 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Thanks!

I apologize for not responding but I was super pregnant and lost track of time. I personally did not enjoy the crater. I have been spoiled by private reserves and hated being in a public park in a closed vehicle and it was crowded. It was nice to see but after a long stay in the Singita reserves at the start of migration I was not impressed. The roads in the crater can get crowded with cars jockeying for best positions and as you note, it is a long drive down to the bottom of the crater. We did get have good lion mating spotting and a great experience with a ton of elephants but it’s very hard to see flamingos from the public road and honestly, migration was so spectacular to view that it was hard to top. The Ngorongoro crater lodge (&beyond) was nice but not nearly as luxurious as the singita lodges though food excellent (dinner probably better than sasakwa dinners) and we felt sort of nickel and dimed on several points (cigars, airport transfers, extra activities around the property like a property tour/walk all had extra charges not incurred at singita). In contrast, my husband LOVED being in the crater and thought it was very scenic and really enjoyed the lodge aesthetic. I think we spent 3 nights at the &beyond lodge and 2 would have been sufficient in terms of going down to the crater. We had some issues with our car mates because they seemed interested in a shorter drive that started later in the day and we wanted a longer drive starting earlier in the day (more Safari is better, right?) so the lack of structure at that lodge became an awkward issue for us and there is really nothing to do on property if you come back early - no spa or pool. That being said, if you can do 2 nights at the start or end to your trip it may be worth seeing. The lodge staff there is excellent and made great overtures to make our stay special (private dinners etc). It is definitely cool at the crater - fires in the room plus electric mattress pads - so no a/c there (maybe none needed). Our guide was good but not as good as our singita guides over our two stays.

sabora tented camp has a a/c basically just above the bed. It’s a portable unit and we were comfortable and of course it’s cooler at night. We did lose power a few times at sasakwa-very common with the grids there. We always love our singita stays. No complaints! We were lucky and hit the start of migration and it was truly special. Let me know if you have any other questions.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by floridagal23
We did get have good lion mating spotting and a great experience with a ton of elephants . . .
That's less than half an elephant.
chinmoylad and nmuva98 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great updates and details!

rwanda >
bisate (wilderness safaris) - 6
singita - 8 + villa
O&O gorilla nest - ?
curious re locations, and if singita handles any differently
More info on Singita In Rwanda
https://rwanda.singita.com/
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I'm very excited to have booked my first ever safari, for late February next year!
After much deliberation we decided to go with a lodge in Sabi Sands.
I really like the idea of being away from the crowds and not being limited to designated paths.

We used Rhino Arica to book the trip, as per forum recommendations and they have been excellent.
The property we have chosen is actually owned by Rhino Africa and looks excellent:

Silvan Safari: Luxury African Safari Lodge in Sabi Sand

I would be interested to hear if anybody has stayed here before, as reviews are rather hard to come by, given how new the lodge is.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:47 pm

A question for those who are more knowledgeable about Botswana and Great Plains lodges: at the tail of the high season - Zarafa or Duba Plains? Both in terms of game experience and accommodation (as an addition to Mombo camp)
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:32 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by in4tar
A question for those who are more knowledgeable about Botswana and Great Plains lodges: at the tail of the high season - Zarafa or Duba Plains? Both in terms of game experience and accommodation (as an addition to Mombo camp)
The Linyanti Selinda area is prolific with game, so Zarafa has the edge, although obviously YMMV.

The Duba Plains concession area is a bit "younger", with less variety of flora and fauna. It used to be the place to see Lions vs. Buffaloes, but it's not as much of the case now.

Neither Zarafa nor Duba Plains (or Mombo, for that matter) offer Mokoro trips on the delta, so if you want to experience that, you might want to check out Vumbura Plains, which is a "mixed" activity (vehicle & water) camp.

Accommodations wise, Duba Plains was completely rebuilt last year, so it's now quite comparable to Zarafa.

We're going back to Mombo, Zarafa and Duba Plains this September; I'll fill you in on our experience as soon as we get back (but PM me as a reminder, just in case.)
in4tar likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:25 pm

Thank you, KI-NRT!

Will definitely PM you once you return (or else - will wait for your review...it was a pleasure to read about your stay at Ngare and Mara Plains, especially since we just returned from these two camps a week and a half ago...I pretty much agree with your assessment...the funny thing - small world! - we even stayed in tent # 7 in Mara Plains and loved its location!)

I will probably book my Botswana camps in the next few weeks...I was leaning towards Zarafa anyway (and water activities are not important to us)...we only have 12 nights to split between 3 camps (don't want to stay less than 4 nights at each - there is something to be said about packing/unpacking/settling in/losing time on transfers)...

and I guess we could do Mombo + Zarafa + Duba Plains like you chose to, but I really want to stay in either Sandibe or Chitabe (I have been to that concession before, and the game viewing there had been epic...so I am willing to forgo more luxurious accommodations for the sake of game viewing there)...and since Mombo is a "must" for my significant other, it leaves me with Zarafa vs Duba Plains...so it most likely will be Zarafa for us (unless there is availability issue for next October)...thank you so much!...safe and happy travels, and looking forward to your reviews!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:54 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by in4tar
Thank you, KI-NRT!
I guess we could do Mombo + Zarafa + Duba Plains like you chose to, but I really want to stay in either Sandibe or Chitabe (I have been to that concession before, and the game viewing there had been epic...so I am willing to forgo more luxurious accommodations for the sake of game viewing there)...and since Mombo is a "must" for my significant other, it leaves me with Zarafa vs Duba Plains...so it most likely will be Zarafa for us (unless there is availability issue for next October)...thank you so much!...safe and happy travels, and looking forward to your reviews!
Definitely do Chitabe! I'd combine it with Zarafa and one other camp. Mombo is awesome, but not being able to go off-road makes it tough to get good photos - I might have to bust out my 500mm F4 for this purpose, which is a heavy beast. Our best Botswana wildlife experience was at Chitabe, closely followed by Zarafa and Kwara. Our next trip after the Sept. 2018 Botswana safari is likely to be in Dzanga Sanga (in Central African Republic), which is super rustic, so I wanted to treat Mrs. KI-NRT to something on the luxurious side before roughing it the next go-round. Otherwise, I'd do Chitabe, Kwando's new Splash Camp and Zarafa (in that order.)
in4tar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.